Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena

Go down 
+8
Commander Keen
Poisson
Mysterious_Calligrapher
R136a1
Tenebrarum
~sciocont
The Uteen
Dudeman
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 10:22 pm

We probably shouldn't worry abou those- even if they are common, it's probably not a great place to raise responsible planets who bear life when they grow up. Seems like a rough neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Uteen, great concept, but please don't play with entropy or chaos. They don't make good playmates, kid.

Tilted orbits are go, but remember people that the orbit remains in it's own plane even when it leaves that of the main solar disk. This is easy to program. scio is talking about orbits that not only go around and around on the same plane, but look like a massive ball of string.

Therefore, I say no so that I can a) save my poor laptop b) save bashi and our other coders. Calc nightmare.
Back to top Go down
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:11 pm

What do you guys think about broken parts of Space Time? Basically, a broken area would be an area in space where time is slowed, sped up, or even reversed. Or it could be 0Ëš K and time would be stopped... So you could go to some solar system in the space stage and find a star living backwards... It would go from a cloud of gasses to a supernova, then a supergiant, and eventually a protostar...

I don't know how you could program this, and how it'll even wrk if you go into the broken spot, but it still sounds pretty cool .:)
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Dudeman wrote:
What do you guys think about broken parts of Space Time? Basically, a broken area would be an area in space where time is slowed, sped up, or even reversed. Or it could be 0Ëš K and time would be stopped... So you could go to some solar system in the space stage and find a star living backwards... It would go from a cloud of gasses to a supernova, then a supergiant, and eventually a protostar...

I don't know how you could program this, and how it'll even wrk if you go into the broken spot, but it still sounds pretty cool .:)

Eh... God tools? You can do this stuff with god tools, but I'm not sure about in-game. We had a thread that has evaded me since where we discussed pre-programmed specific events that could happen. I suppose this could be one. A pretty rare one, though. Although, if time was stopped in a region, you'd enter it and the rest of the universe would suddenly die. That would be a disappointment. And a star living backwards would have to undestroy things around it when it unhit supernova, which would then age forwards... So how were they created? Sorry, I'm objecting to everything again... It should be possible to program, but it's not the programming that worries me... It's the mess.
Back to top Go down
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 3:49 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Dudeman wrote:

Eh... God tools? You can do this stuff with god tools, but I'm not sure about in-game. We had a thread that has evaded me since where we discussed pre-programmed specific events that could happen. I suppose this could be one. A pretty rare one, though. Although, if time was stopped in a region, you'd enter it and the rest of the universe would suddenly die. That would be a disappointment. And a star living backwards would have to undestroy things around it when it unhit supernova, which would then age forwards... So how were they created? Sorry, I'm objecting to everything again... It should be possible to program, but it's not the programming that worries me... It's the mess.

God tools seem the most likely way to have this even be possible.

Yes, it's very confusing... And messy. But it would be insanely awesome.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Yeah, local time control god tool has been already proposed I think.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 pm

We've concluded that time control would completely break the game earlier.
Back to top Go down
Dudeman
Newcomer
Dudeman

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 9:23 pm

~sciocont wrote:

Okay, I won't add it then.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 4:44 pm

~sciocont wrote:

That was time control as jumping in time and reversing it's flow. Changing just the speed of the flow was much better I think.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

That was time control as jumping in time and reversing it's flow. Changing just the speed of the flow was much better I think.
It would still break the game if applied to only one region. Physics would break, because some actons simply couldn't happen.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 am

Intact physics is usually nice. And remember, people, if we can't do the math for the god tools, we can't have the god tools. (Also, never leave your code wires exposed to the casual investigator. They fry quite easily.)
Back to top Go down
Raven Destroyer
Newcomer
Raven Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Intact physics is usually nice. And remember, people, if we can't do the math for the god tools, we can't have the god tools. (Also, never leave your code wires exposed to the casual investigator. They fry quite easily.)

so we need a physics expert for assistance or a coder that has done this kind of things before
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 5:34 pm

Yup, still looking for a physics person.
As far as coding... well, some of the "don't touch that you'll get fried" should be perfectly obvious if you actually know what kind of iinformation the things you're poking with a stick contain. (Even I can figure out what the red wires are for the sims, for example...)
If it changes a core function of the game, the game will break. That's more or less how you tell.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Hang on, is this the physics of time flowing at different rates in different locations? Well, I'd like to point out this: there's no such thing, so no physics expert can help you. Time travels at the same speed everywhere. Only during acceleration and deceleration will an object change it rate of travel into the future. I read it in a book. But the same book also said objects moving closer to the speed of light have a slower rate of travel into the future, with no mention of acceleration. But it also said there is no absolute motion, which means the speed of light would always be relative to something. Could a physics expert explain which of this seemingly contradicting theories are true? I'm confused. And I do normally understand sciencey stuff.

This book is not complete rubbish, by the way. It was written by Brian Cox. It should be true. However confusing and contradictory.

But if we have time flowing at different rates at different places, then we'll have to make up our own physics. I know that.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 3:58 pm

The Uteen wrote:
But if we have time flowing at different rates at different places, then we'll have to make up our own physics. I know that.

The same applies to other God tools, though. How would you want to create entire solar systems from nothing?

There has to be a way to speed up evolution. Imagine playing as an ascended civ, creating simple life on a planet and then waiting bilions of years for it to evolve.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

The same applies to other God tools, though. How would you want to create entire solar systems from nothing?

There has to be a way to speed up evolution. Imagine playing as an ascended civ, creating simple life on a planet and then waiting bilions of years for it to evolve.

Keen... by the time that you are ascended, you'll probably be better off genetically manipulating the mess from the get-go, rather than mucking around in the fourth dimension... I'm certain that the things you want your own universal tardis or delorian for can be achieved with creative application of god tools which are less messy, physics-programming wise.

That said, we still need a physics person to do the "normal" math, so we know what we'd be able to program, what we can get away with breaking, and what's best swept under the rug.

@ Uteen - there is a reason why I like the physical sciences. A rock is a rock, or a mineral, or a fossil, or a collection of chemicals, not a function of m, e, or any other such thing.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 2:35 pm

I think speeding up and slowing down time in an area would be possible to put in the game, because it isn't as complicated as real life, and laws can be broken. But stopping and reversing time in an area would be much, much harder, the latter near impossible, because you'd get tons of paradoxes from the start.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 1:32 pm

uteen- you speak of relativity, first explained by the man himself, Albert Einstein.

If you speed up mutation, you speed up evolution, Keen.
http://blogs.inquirer.net/insidescience/2010/12/21/japan-bio-scientists-produce-singing-mouse/
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 8:13 pm

I just think it might be nice to be able to speed up natural processes without interfering in them. Though when I think of it, it could cause some serious trouble for evolution from the coding standpoint.
Back to top Go down
Raven Destroyer
Newcomer
Raven Destroyer

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 8:16 pm

~sciocont wrote:
uteen- you speak of relativity, first explained by the man himself, Albert Einstein.

http://blogs.inquirer.net/insidescience/2010/12/21/japan-bio-scientists-produce-singing-mouse/

now you know also why i keep away from time talks XD when i start i will undoubtedly speak against my own saying
but basic's are whatever theory you use; some say both way's is possible. and others say that you can only use a black hole for time travel, and others say that you only can travel forwards and others combine the black hole forwards theories so even on that we can't be truly clear and then you have the speed of light thingy that also has that forward time travel but you need the power of the cosmos to achieve such speed or atleast we are talking about more power then 10 sol suns produces combined
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 11:04 am

Raven Destroyer wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

now you know also why i keep away from time talks XD when i start i will undoubtedly speak against my own saying
but basic's are whatever theory you use; some say both way's is possible. and others say that you can only use a black hole for time travel, and others say that you only can travel forwards and others combine the black hole forwards theories so even on that we can't be truly clear and then you have the speed of light thingy that also has that forward time travel but you need the power of the cosmos to achieve such speed or atleast we are talking about more power then 10 sol suns produces combined

You mean time dilation? I think we're going with Einstein's theory on that. (excluding god tools of course)
(For those that aren't familiar with the theory, Einstein predicts you get time dilation in intense gravitational fields and when you accelerate to high speeds (the latter has been proven in the particle accelerator (but actually, you always get this dilation, but you only notice it fairly close to the speed of light (and also, please note I don't understand the theory completely, don't expect me to know how he got e=mc (at least until I finish this book (too many brackets again... (prepare for a bracket attack!))))))

Speaking of time dilation, will we be simulating it, to keep the game realistic? And if so, what will happen to our faster-than-light space travel, which we have, but is physically impossible to fit into modern physics? Will it make time go backwards? ...It's frustratingly hard to accurately simulate laws of physics we don't have...
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Don't worry if it goes over your head, Uteen. In my experience, Physics on that scale usually makes a rude noise as it sails overhead.

As far as time dialation... I dunno. I get the feeling, though, that it's so small that unless you are a quark or traveling at the speed of light, you're not going to notice it much. From what I know, it doesn't normally get more than a millisecond or so.

Of course, I could be wrong... and Raven, I'm not certain what the consensus was on black holes versus wormholes versus other random space phenomena that could be simulated, but I'm pretty sure the options were
1) feasible
2) you will be crushed like a bug.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Don't worry if it goes over your head, Uteen. In my experience, Physics on that scale usually makes a rude noise as it sails overhead.

As far as time dialation... I dunno. I get the feeling, though, that it's so small that unless you are a quark or traveling at the speed of light, you're not going to notice it much. From what I know, it doesn't normally get more than a millisecond or so.

Of course, I could be wrong... and Raven, I'm not certain what the consensus was on black holes versus wormholes versus other random space phenomena that could be simulated, but I'm pretty sure the options were
1) feasible
2) you will be crushed like a bug.

I think wormholes would be just travelling in normal space. It's complicated, but I think I understand the idea, and it probably wouldn't be that easy, because a wormhole wouldn't be that obvious.

I'll give an analogy: Imagine a hill. That hill represents curved space. Now, an ant is very small. It can't tell the ground slopes. It has a job carrying leaves at the other side of the hill, and every day it has to get in its car and make the journey to work. It sets off in its car, but its car guzzles down petrol fast, so it has to stop off at the petrol station every day to refuel, which makes it late for work! But the ant is travelling on a road that goes in a straight line, from his home to work. He can't get there any quicker. One day, the ant installs a SAT NAV in its car. He follows the SAT NAV to work, which takes him a slightly different route, and somehow this other route gets him to work quicker, without the need to refuel! 'How is this possible?' he thinks. You see, the ant thought he was travelling in a straight line to work, he can't tell there's a hill. But when he followed the SAT NAV, it took him through a tunnel 'Worm's Holes Co.' burrowed to make travel quicker. This tunnel goes straight through the hill, not over it like the road did. The ant now saves a lot more money by refuelling less frequently, and got promoted to a job carrying small animals for being persistently on time! To this day the ant still doesn't understand how he can get to work quicker than normal. He thinks it's magic.

Credits
Ant----The Uteen
Ant's boss, who give him a promotion----ADMIN
A hill----Curved space
Worm's Holes Co.----'A rare phenomenon where curved space is warped enough to bend back round on itself forming something like a donut hole from a four-dimensional perspective meaning you can travel parallel to someone and end up somewhere else entirely relative to them' Co.
Founder of Worm's Holes Co.----Classified Information
SAT NAV----A matchbox with a parrot in it
Petrol Station----It's just a petrol station, moron doing the credits. It's not important. Chillax, man.

I hope you understand wormholes better now.
...And they are nothing to do with black holes. They are stars which have become so massive their gravity becomes stronger than the exclusion principle (the one that states two atoms cannot take up the same space) and so the whole thing just collapses into a single point containing the mass of the entire star. So they are a different thing entirely, and far more likely. The chances of a wormhole existing are near zero. So don't go hurling yourselves into black hole, it'd be like the worst pile-on ever.

And I believe it is around 75% the speed of light or more it makes a difference good enough to make you go "This isn't how I imagined it. I feel normal. It's them outside going fast, lucky averages.".
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Uteen wrote: Post that made my physics day

See, this is why we need someone to take astronomy or physics, rather than having all the knowlege of a thousand sci-fi movies.

The black hole option was always going to be "you will be crushed like a bug." the wormhole option was either "fire up the infinite improbability drive," or "you will be shredded."
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Uteen, that made my day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena   Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Natural Solar and Planetary Phenomena
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next