Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Implementing Underwater Civilizations

Go down 
+51
V2
SpiroExDeus
Jimexmore
P3DR0PS
the froggy ninja
EnergyKnife
Tarpy
Thriving Cheese
M3rox
Oliveriver
WilliamstheJohn
Tritium
Jiko
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Wiggin
untrustedlife
WJacobC
scorpion268
Atrox
Dannyboy1238
MitochondriaBox
Armok: God of Blood
zippybomb
Juodvarnis
NickTheNick
Danul83
Daniferrito
AllenHill
StarshockNova
Flashman
Scripts18
Holomanga
Theusfilipe
MeowMan1
lbrewer
penumbra espinosa
PTFace
Doggit
Kraeken
GhengopelALPHA
Aleick
US_of_Alaska
specialk2121
~sciocont
Poisson
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Commander Keen
The Uteen
Xenopologist
kaosrain
Hellome118
55 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Newcomer

Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 4:00 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Well those aren't secreted substances. Where would they get the wood from if they are fully aquatic?
An underwater plant with a woody trunk or bamboo-like stems.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 pm

I was under the impression that wood bearing plants cannot grow underwater.

Also, if they could grow, how would one swing their appendage holding the tool fast enough, underwater, to cut the wood?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 8:04 pm

NickTheNick wrote:

Also, if they could grow, how would one swing their appendage holding the tool fast enough, underwater, to cut the wood?
It's not that growing wood underwater is physically impossible, it's that there's no reason to grow a sturdy support structure when you already have water for support. They could easily obtain wood from a log sink, where logs drift out to ocean and gradually fall to the seafloor, but wood found in this way would be far from ideal. There is no physical reason why the animals could not construct a bicycle-like vehicle using natural materials. It would just be quite labor intensive.
Back to top Go down
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:14 pm

NickTheNick wrote:

Knap a stone into a saw and cut the wood that way.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 pm

No, my point was that underwater one would not be able to swing their "arm" or move the saw fast enough to have significant effect.
Back to top Go down
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 2:15 am

NickTheNick wrote:
No, my point was that underwater one would not be able to swing their "arm" or move the saw fast enough to have significant effect.
If I had gills and trees grew underwater I would prove you wrong. You don't need to saw fast to get the desired effect; it just takes a while.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 2:27 am

A long while, and that what I meant by significant effect.
Back to top Go down
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 am

So, with soft metals, rocks, and aquatic wood, you could probably get pretty far up the technological ladder.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 6:36 pm

AlexaiZ wrote:
So, with soft metals, rocks, and aquatic wood, you could probably get pretty far up the technological ladder.

Soft metals? Would they be pure or in ore form? How would we bang shape them into the shape we want? Unless you evolve your species to give them front limb movement as fast as a karate chop, or make them able to do a rapid pistol-shrimp motion to shoot a ray of water (almost as hot as the sun in reality) and melt the metal to a degree, but it would cool down too quickly.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 pm

AlexaiZ wrote:

No one, including you, has yet established how metalworking would take place underwater, soft or hard.

Sciocont's blog reads:

Quote :
Our final verdict is that Metalworking is next to impossible underwater

So until you establish that in a way that hasn't been already mentioned, you can't include it on your list.

That just leaves you with aquatic wood, which really would NOT get anyone pretty far up the technological ladder. If you had read some of the more recent posts on this thread, you would have seen that someone suggested that the Aztecs were somewhat advanced, yet lacked metal. I explained to him that even the Aztecs traded with their neighbours for bronze and other metal tools. So even those credited with getting that far with only obsidian really didn't. Aquatic wood won't take you anywhere, metal will.
Back to top Go down
zippybomb
Newcomer
zippybomb

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Well actually, it's possible to do metal working, you just can't smelt. If you found veins with pure metal, you wouldn't need to melt it, just heat it up enough to bang it into shape. It would, however, still be very limiting. And I wouldn't call them tribes, there is a lot of things you can do without metal.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 pm

If you can shape them in cold (or with low temperatures) it wont be really usefull, as any strong force will deform them.

For example, with some time you could shape a tool out of pure gold (if you had pure gold avaible), but it will only be good for looks. At the first use it will start to deform, and in a few more uses it will be unusable,
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 pm

zippybomb wrote:
you wouldn't need to melt it, just heat it up enough to bang it into shape

This is in Scio's blogpost.
Spoiler:

zippybomb wrote:
And I wouldn't call them tribes, there
is a lot of things you can do without metal.

From what I can think of society would be very limited without it. If you could give some examples/evidence otherwise I would be interested to hear.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 pm

Can we let this die, or must you be banned again?
Back to top Go down
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 am

This is going to be the last time I post on this topic.
~sciocont wrote:
GhengopelALPHA wrote:
I'd like to point something out out, it's three words: Underwater Volcanic Vents. Now I don't know what would happen IRL for an intelligent species in the open seas, but a recent thought experiment of mine based on Europa and "Europan life" if it exists got me wondering, if life would be suited to only thrive around volcanic vents, then these would be the centerpiece to their societies. They would replace fires that early humans used. Heating metal would be no problem for them if they found some just washing around, thus, casting and smithing might not be impossible, but it would be dangerous and difficult. I say that technological societies underwater are indeed possible, but only if the life is centered on underwater volcanic vents.
We've gone over this a lot- the vents simply aren't hot enough to melt metals down. Undersea vents on earth reach up to 464 °C, so only very heavy metals (gold, lead) would melt down. These metals really aren't very useful in technology underwater. And even if you do find a metal that's useful, the heat would almost certainly kill your creature, since the water surrounding it would be a supercritical fluid and would denature its enzymes unless it evolved right there- and if it did that, it probably wouldn't evolve intelligence. Every angle of this has been covered.
We have firmly established that soft metals are meltable underwater.
Wood, rocks, resin, hides, and soft metals can be worked into a variety of different shapes fit for many types of T.O.s.
"Fast transportation" and quick strikes are nigh impossible underwater, but sawing and stabbing motions of the sort are possible with a sufficient number of workers or time.
Electronics are impossible underwater without insulation that I could only see as being made out of "underwater latex" or resin.
With these things in mind, I believe that a species with access to insulation could become a society with electricity.
Ones without could most likely have bioluminescent lighting and live in a society similar to our late 18th or early 19th century.
Space travel would be very, very difficult to achieve, if not impossible.
Feel free to discuss, criticize, and argue over my ideas on this topic.
I'll go continue to post in topics that aren't so volatile and dangerous to post in.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 am

AlexaiZ wrote:
Long post is long.

Very well. Let the players have their gallium spears and swords! It can melt in your hand, 'know.
Back to top Go down
zippybomb
Newcomer
zippybomb

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 am

~sciocont wrote:
Can we let this die, or must you be banned again?

Me? Sorry, I was just trying to answer his question. And also, I feel like the problem with soft metals, is that, well, they're soft. Too soft to be of any use other than a few tools and maybe a knife.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 6:38 pm

AlexaiZ wrote:
This is going to be the last time I post on this topic.
~sciocont wrote:
GhengopelALPHA wrote:
I'd like to point something out out, it's three words: Underwater Volcanic Vents. Now I don't know what would happen IRL for an intelligent species in the open seas, but a recent thought experiment of mine based on Europa and "Europan life" if it exists got me wondering, if life would be suited to only thrive around volcanic vents, then these would be the centerpiece to their societies. They would replace fires that early humans used. Heating metal would be no problem for them if they found some just washing around, thus, casting and smithing might not be impossible, but it would be dangerous and difficult. I say that technological societies underwater are indeed possible, but only if the life is centered on underwater volcanic vents.
We've gone over this a lot- the vents simply aren't hot enough to melt metals down. Undersea vents on earth reach up to 464 °C, so only very heavy metals (gold, lead) would melt down. These metals really aren't very useful in technology underwater. And even if you do find a metal that's useful, the heat would almost certainly kill your creature, since the water surrounding it would be a supercritical fluid and would denature its enzymes unless it evolved right there- and if it did that, it probably wouldn't evolve intelligence. Every angle of this has been covered.
We have firmly established that soft metals are meltable underwater.
Wood, rocks, resin, hides, and soft metals can be worked into a variety of different shapes fit for many types of T.O.s.
"Fast transportation" and quick strikes are nigh impossible underwater, but sawing and stabbing motions of the sort are possible with a sufficient number of workers or time.
Electronics are impossible underwater without insulation that I could only see as being made out of "underwater latex" or resin.
With these things in mind, I believe that a species with access to insulation could become a society with electricity.
Ones without could most likely have bioluminescent lighting and live in a society similar to our late 18th or early 19th century.
Space travel would be very, very difficult to achieve, if not impossible.
Feel free to discuss, criticize, and argue over my ideas on this topic.
I'll go continue to post in topics that aren't so volatile and dangerous to post in.

What you quoted contradicts what you said. I am still unaware of any occasion in which underwater metalworking with soft metals was established. If you find a post or explain yourself how it could work underwater I'd be interested to hear, but you don't have to quit the thread.

And so if there is no soft metal the rest of those materials would not be sufficient in getting the player out of the stone age, even if they make it look like a very fancy stone age.
Back to top Go down
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 3:07 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Almighty Quote Pyramid
I don't want to get banned, so I don't want to post in this thread.
I'll PM you if you want, but I'm not going to put my account at risk over this.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

PM then.
Back to top Go down
Dannyboy1238

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 5:31 pm

I hope i dont get banned for posting this, since it seems like it's been a while since anyone posted.
Now heres how i think underwater civilizations CAN be possible.
First off, you're not the only thing evolving. There could be great civilizations being built around you and you wouldn't know it. BUT eventually these civilizations will go to war for control, fighting on land, in the air, and in the sea. Ships will sink, and planes will crash. Maybe, a ship happens to sink, maybe a plane happens to crash nearby your colony of fish people things. These things aren't sinking because they're getting too much water, they're sinking because they're being shot at, pieces flying off, supplies being lost, sometimes even whole ships and planes exploding into pieces. Who says you cant use this metal, use the supplies/weapons that sunk with the ship to cut into the metal, or even attack a submarine and study the technology.

Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Dannyboy1238 wrote:
I hope i dont get banned for posting this, since it seems like it's been a while since anyone posted.
Now heres how i think underwater civilizations CAN be possible.
First off, you're not the only thing evolving. There could be great civilizations being built around you and you wouldn't know it. BUT eventually these civilizations will go to war for control, fighting on land, in the air, and in the sea. Ships will sink, and planes will crash. Maybe, a ship happens to sink, maybe a plane happens to crash nearby your colony of fish people things. These things aren't sinking because they're getting too much water, they're sinking because they're being shot at, pieces flying off, supplies being lost, sometimes even whole ships and planes exploding into pieces. Who says you cant use this metal, use the supplies/weapons that sunk with the ship to cut into the metal, or even attack a submarine and study the technology.

Just my two cents.
This is a form of uplifting the civilization- giving them technology they can't create themselves. You are correct here.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:06 pm

This did not deserve its own thread. Of all the already discussed questions you could have asked in a new and unnecessary thread, you chose underwater civs. Go read through this thread and see if it answers your question, which I'm pretty sure it does.

EDIT: Oh, the post got deleted.
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Sorry Nick I didn't realize it was moved so i thought i put it here by accident and then i read the first page so i freaked out and deleted it. Anyways my idea was underwater caves, and I understand that there are many issues with this, but I may have come up wth some solutions. I read through this thread and noticed that one of the problems with underwater caves is that the fire would use up the oxygen in the cave. Well I did some research and apparently if the cave was big enough, the oxygen wouldn't be depleted for quite some time (i don't know if long enough to forge something. maybe just enough for a simple tool).
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Atrox_Somnium wrote:
Sorry Nick I didn't realize it was moved so i thought i put it here by accident and then i read the first page so i freaked out and deleted it. Anyways my idea was underwater caves, and I understand that there are many issues with this, but I may have come up wth some solutions. I read through this thread and noticed that one of the problems with underwater caves is that the fire would use up the oxygen in the cave. Well I did some research and apparently if the cave was big enough, the oxygen wouldn't be depleted for quite some time (i don't know if long enough to forge something. maybe just enough for a simple tool).
To use the cave for this purpose, it would have to be fairly large. You'd also have to bring in flammable material, make sure it's dry, and somehow start the fire. If you're a dolphin, you can't do that. If you're a mermaid, the chances of all that happening are slim to none. Beyond this, there's some question as to whether/how caves will exist in the game, since our current concept for planet modeling isn't extremely conducive to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Implementing Underwater Civilizations   Implementing Underwater Civilizations - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Implementing Underwater Civilizations
Page 8 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next