Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

death by assassination or just a tree fell one you

Go down 
+12
GasmaskCowboy
US_of_Alaska
andry796
Rilosi
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Poisson
AIs-null
Commander Keen
Gorbachof
The Uteen
~sciocont
mike roberts
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Silver Sterling
Newcomer
Silver Sterling

death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:02 pm

How about becoming the next born creature of your species, who is born after you died, as long you haven't unlocked observer mode?
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Please don't bumb these threads, they are old, no need to.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sterling
Newcomer
Silver Sterling

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Actually its the newest thread i found about it, second the last post before my posts was less then 1 month before. So tought a thread, with a post younger as one month is still a go. Sorry for the case, that it is different here, then i will avoid it in the future.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Bumping a relevant thread is better than making a new one, and it's fine as long as you add to the discussion (rather than just saying something like 'Bump').

I thought we had come to a decision on this, but that seems the best option. That or the most recently born infant, both seem good options. We could also go with nearest living member of the species. I think letting the player choose would be preferable, none seem to give too much of an obvious advantage over the other and I don't think this would take too long to program either.

Note: What happens when the player dies is relevant in cell stage too, if this hasn't been already been decided now is the time to do it.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sterling
Newcomer
Silver Sterling

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Indeed. I have also tought about the possibility. Some problems i noticed here, also if you have a species with some subspecies (if this is possible in the early state), where the one you want play is very rare, could become a bit difficult, if we don't have additional possibilities.
Same problem would have my favorite species aswell.
By the ponies, we have 4 subspecies. One of them are the royal alicorns who are also the leader and the strongest one. But they make less then 1% of the population and are very long living (in fact immortal, but i don't know if this would work by subspecies). So a new Alicorn foal would be a very rare event.
So we have to be able to select the subspecies and the waiting time for a new birth. Eventually the game can set up the birth of another member of such a rare species (if we want to play as a new born) in this case. Donno how it will be programmed.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 7:14 am

Silver Sterling wrote:
Indeed. I have also tought about the possibility. Some problems i noticed here, also if you have a species with some subspecies (if this is possible in the early state), where the one you want play is very rare, could become a bit difficult, if we don't have additional possibilities.
Same problem would have my favorite species aswell.
By the ponies, we have 4 subspecies. One of them are the royal alicorns who are also the leader and the strongest one. But they make less then 1% of the population and are very long living (in fact immortal, but i don't know if this would work by subspecies). So a new Alicorn foal would be a very rare event.
So we have to be able to select the subspecies and the waiting time for a new birth. Eventually the game can set up the birth of another member of such a rare species (if we want to play as a new born) in this case. Donno how it will be programmed.
You have to remember, even in long-living species, there are always other causes of death than old age. Humans can currently live generally up to 100 year old, but early humans would rarely make it to 40, due to constant a much higher risk of starvation, attack from predators, lack of antibiotics, and so on. These factors also cause differing life expectancies around the world:
Wikipedia, Enemy To Encyclopaedia Salespeople wrote:
There are significant differences in life expectancy around the world. The developed world is generally aging, with the median age around 40 years. In the developing world the median age is between 15 and 20 years.

To maintain the population, births will still have to occur. Additionally, naturally, the birth rate is higher than the death rate, to increase population; long life plus high birthrate equals a thriving species, so evolution will make sure a species breeds, even if it means overpopulation (See Humans for more info ). Either way, the birthrate wont end up too low.

Simply put, I don't think that will be a problem. If a problem ever arises, we can always worry about it then.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sterling
Newcomer
Silver Sterling

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 8:15 am

Yes indeed. Think one ways to be able to control the birth rate would be as a behavor (AI Editor) of the subspecies (should only work, if we already have a nation, otherwise they woudn't know how many other of their species are there), or a direct regulation in the nation editor (this sounds very China like now ^^). But think best way to have such a species i plan will be in god mode. What leads to another question, but because i didn't want to move everything offtopic here, i post it in the other general thread.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 10:27 am

Silver Sterling wrote:
Yes indeed. Think one ways to be able to control the birth rate would be as a behavor (AI Editor) of the subspecies (should only work, if we already have a nation, otherwise they woudn't know how many other of their species are there), or a direct regulation in the nation editor (this sounds very China like now ^^). But think best way to have such a species i plan will be in god mode. What leads to another question, but because i didn't want to move everything offtopic here, i post it in the other general thread.

I don't think one would be able contol birth rate of his Species, I mean, His own Species, Only if he uses the china model...
Back to top Go down
Silver Sterling
Newcomer
Silver Sterling

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Depends of the AI and the thinking of the species and you can define it free, what i heard. Could be like: The species is a bit conceited and thinks, it is special and that there shoudn't be so many of itself. We don't know how other species could think.
And the nation system will indeed look like china. So don't expect your peoples to be happy about it.
Back to top Go down
Calfeggs
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:38 pm

So are you able to pick a new species, or just go to a new individual of you own species?

If you can pick any creature, you should make 'bookmarks'. So you can bookmark your species you made, and say, some other thing you like to play as a lot.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 pm

So, our options:

Closest living relative - Good, but hard to implement, required tracking of the entire planet's population's relationships, or more, in case of super-extinctions.

Player's choice - Easy to implement, since it is already planned for a god tool, and doesn't require much complicated code. However, it could make gameplay a bit easier in some cases.

Random - Random creature from the species/planet/galaxy. Good choice if it only scales up when necessary.

So, we seem to have two viable options. Can anyone think of any others? If not, we'll stick with those.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 12:48 pm

In my opinion it should depend on what phase you are at. If the user has acces to strategy mode, it should just move you back into strategy mode, and from there you can choose another creature to control. If the user doesen't have strategy mode unlocked yet, just place him in the next born creature of the same species, or a random one, preferebly in the zone he died.

Even without god tools the player is able to switch between the two modes if he chooses a creature of his species, right?

In order to make player death more significant, I think it should affect its species. Something like losing 10% of the species population when the player controlled creature dies.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Daniferrito wrote:
In my opinion it should depend on what phase you are at. If the user has acces to strategy mode, it should just move you back into strategy mode, and from there you can choose another creature to control. If the user doesen't have strategy mode unlocked yet, just place him in the next born creature of the same species, or a random one, preferebly in the zone he died.

Even without god tools the player is able to switch between the two modes if he chooses a creature of his species, right?

In order to make player death more significant, I think it should affect its species. Something like losing 10% of the species population when the player controlled creature dies.

Actually, that's a good idea. Though maybe the next born in the player's area - the game doesn't simulate entire planets at once.

Yes, the player can switch freely, but only control their species. Though, I think they can choose which species to control when their species branches, of the two new species produced.

I think we shouldn't force the player to not die - games are meant to be fun, so in my opinion punishing the playing for not playing well or in the way we want them to isn't the thing to do. Playing normally is more fun than constantly dying, I know that from gaming experience, so I think players wont play the game to do that anyway.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 7:32 am

Yes, I was meaning the closer one.

Ok, you convinced me about the death. I was thinking about death in minecraft, when for example you are hungry, you can just store everything you have, suicide, and be instantly healed up and full hunger. But still, people dont do that, just because of the feeling that what they did wasn't right.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:23 am

Daniferrito wrote:
Yes, I was meaning the closer one.

Ok, you convinced me about the death. I was thinking about death in minecraft, when for example you are hungry, you can just store everything you have, suicide, and be instantly healed up and full hunger. But still, people dont do that, just because of the feeling that what they did wasn't right.
Precisely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: death by assassination or just a tree fell one you   death by assassination or just a tree fell one you - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

death by assassination or just a tree fell one you
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2