Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+93
JoseAAV
Disastericks
Secondkingstons
EnergyKnife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Jimexmore
Grimm Reaper
Atrox
Xazo-Tak
HariboTer
Naevius
jay sheddan
Im a Peanut
Tritium
Tarpy
Narnobie123
Gawbad
Nimbal
Thriving Cheese
WJacobC
FunnyGames
PerfectOrganismil
TheSmart_1
Dilophoraptor
untrustedlife
BioMike
energypro
RodGame
protoast
Cobalt58
jman12351
Sundu
ExtraSolar
Dumb_person69
spacetime_dinosaur
Oliveriver
Calfeggs
NikolaAnicic007
MitochondriaBox
Tré Wisemen
SmartGenius
ComradeDoc
THRIVE
thrivepedia
beachbum111111
WilliamstheJohn
ingaborgasaurus
Raptorstorm
alduin2013
decelis93
Noone
gvd72
Jopetsu
Daniferrito
M3rox
Rorsten594
roadkillguy
Silver Sterling
Carnifex
Seregon
PREDAL1ENWARRIOR
GamerXA
Brennus
nziswat
PHILmg
NickTheNick
wwewar
ethroptur
Orygandian2
penumbra espinosa
Pezzalis
zippybomb
jmc-24
Holomanga
MeowMan1
Kraeken
Crimsonspawn
Hegataro
Theusfilipe
PTFace
Doggit
Sgt. Lost Time
US_of_Alaska
Admiral Van Tromp
ido66667
D4RK_VOID
bill2505
Dr_Chillgood
Tenebrarum
Army-Lion
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
The Uteen
97 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 7:26 am

Animals will be the same size as terrestrial animals (granted the conditions are similar). That is, on a planet with roughtly the same gravity than on earth, you will have the same animal sizes.

However, planet size will be much smaller. The current estimate is roughtly the size of Manhattan for each planet. We will cheat a bit with the sizes and magnitudes there, we we can have planet the mass of earth but with a much smaller radius (as the surface is much smaller) but with the same gravity.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 8:43 am

Well i hope we could be able to change the creatures size anyway of course in what the planet permits.
There could be a little metric line below the creature in the editor just so you know in what kind of world you are.
Now i have a proposal on how the interstellar flight could look like ingame. Ladies and gentlemen i give you the Annihilation Engine-environmentally friendly! It uses the massive energy of annihilating matter and anti-matter to shrink space-time in front of your ship and expand it behind it, this results in distorting the light your crew sees, such a beautiful view, black holes create similar effect with their gravity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRr-2W3JLAQ Space Engine has it so it should be possible https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MaD6F5Sx_uw#t=26s 
So charge your engine, behold the magnificent view and in an instant you are THERE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Flying11
That's actually my first attempt in GIMP so ignore the crappy drawing.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 11:02 am

Ok everyone, the Thrive Podcast has been approved on iTunes! You can listen and subscribe to it here. Great job to everyone involved.

Now, time to plan the next one
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 4:38 pm

so then about traps, I don't mean those nets i mean Like borrowing yourself in the ground and snatching up the first thing that comes near you. And that of course brings me to my second question 
Can i live underground in a hive? like very large ants or something sending a few scouts every once in awhile,If you do have hives you may need to have it in rts mode and stay their the player playing the hive queen or something like that.

TL:dr:can you be in a hive and can you be an ambush predator like an antlion.
Back to top Go down
Narnobie123
Newcomer
Narnobie123

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 4:59 pm

Jimexmore wrote:
so then about traps, I don't mean those nets i mean Like borrowing yourself in the ground and snatching up the first thing that comes near you. And that of course brings me to my second question 
Can i live underground in a hive? like very large ants or something sending a few scouts every once in awhile,If you do have hives you may need to have it in rts mode and stay their the player playing the hive queen or something like that.

TL:dr:can you be in a hive and can you be an ambush predator like an antlion.
I was wondering that Too mostly because iheard that you can be an animal while there is a  Sentinent species on the planet iwas wondering if the hunters ould lay down gtraps for you sorry srry for bad spelling iam On mobile
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 2:50 am

Tritium wrote:
Now i have a proposal on how the interstellar flight could look like ingame. Ladies and gentlemen i give you the Annihilation Engine-environmentally friendly! It uses the massive energy of annihilating matter and anti-matter to shrink space-time in front of your ship and expand it behind it,
 Aka Warp Drive, and yes, it will be in the game.

Also I just wanted to say, for lack of a better thread to post this on, I am finished exams and will be able to participate far more. There are many threads I wish to work on, and others to revive. I also hope to finalize more concept on the Strategy Mode, and release more content on the Research Web.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 3:02 am

In my first act as Outreach Team Lead, I have created a Steam group for Thrive! If you are on Steam please show your support by joining the group and inviting your friends.

Here's the link.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 3:24 am

Done!
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 3:43 am

Nice work Jacob, I am sure plenty of guests will appreciate being able to access our status, description, and updates via Steam. Its good to see you taking your own initiative towards this!
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 4:18 am

What about creating a page for Thrive in the steam greenlight -> concepts section?
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=765&section=concepts
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 4:54 am

Not yet I don't think. Not until we actually have something to show. Plus it's 100% free, which doesn't really fit into Steam's business model.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 8:08 am

WJacobC wrote:
Not yet I don't think. Not until we actually have something to show.
OK, but we'll hopefully have something to show soon(equals "before the end of 2013").
WJacobC wrote:
Plus it's 100% free, which doesn't really fit into Steam's business model.
But they do have a section for free-to-play games. link.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 8:17 am

Yes, they have "free to play" games, but all of those gain money some way or another. All of them have ingame purchasable content, and thats where the creators make money.

In order for steam to gain money, they get a share on everything sold through steam. Thats how steam makes money, and how they aford the servers where they host all the games.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 9:52 am

Daniferrito wrote:
Yes, they have "free to play" games, but all of those gain money some way or another. All of them have ingame purchasable content, and thats where the creators make money.

In order for steam to gain money, they get a share on everything sold through steam. Thats how steam makes money, and how they aford the servers where they host all the games.
OK, sorry, didn't think about that.:oops:
Back to top Go down
M3rox
Newcomer
M3rox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 2:11 pm

I know it's maybe a bit too early to talk about this topic, but: what about multiplayer?
I also know that someone suggested that there are some servers and each one is a galaxy in which players can evolve and do everything they can do offline.
But my idea was to have some kind of arena where players can fight each other with their own creatures. The players would be able to host a game and invite friends or just join a random game. 
But for random games we would need at least one server, the first could be possible via hamachi like in minecraft.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 2:34 pm

You were right in thinking that it was too early. First we really need a playable microbe stage, perhaps even the full game before we can think about multiplayer.

Anyway, this has been discussed before and the consensus was that it would be asynchronous, like spore, where other people's creatures appeared in your game, etc. Your arena idea is cool, but would require many many extra months to complete, especially the server side programming.

That sounds like a fun idea though.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 9:07 pm

The default game (where you evolve) is just impossible to make in multiplayer, as a few minutes in creature mode represent the same amount of time you need to get a species from sentinent to ascension (there are different timescales)

The arena thing could be good, though. However, i would not have much hope looking into that. It is far from the main idea of the game, and the programming to allow it would mean redoing most of the game, or just writing a new engine just for multiplayer.

Local multiplayer (aka splitscreen), on the other hand would be extremelly easy to implement, though. I could add that to the current release in about half an hour just by writing a few more scripts. It will get a bit harder as the game gets more complex, but having two cameras and two different controlled creatures is quite easy.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 5:57 am

Although multiplayer would unquestionably be impossible to implement in the full game, I think it would actually be quite good to add as an extra minigame sort of thing. The microbe stage especially would be fun to play in multiplayer - two or more players evolving their cells to out-compete each other and AI cells, which would of course be evolving too. This could happen either online or in split-screen. The only problem I could foresee with this is the cell editor. Maybe when a player enters the cell editor in multiplayer, the time they can spend editing in one session could be limited to about a minute, while the rest of the players freeze or have the option to edit their cell as well.

Of course, I'm just wildly speculating here. Until we have a microbe stage that's playable in single player we shouldn't consider multiplayer too much. One stage of multiplayer will probably be about as far as we could go with it anyway, and if that's the case the microbe stage would be the best candidate.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 10:42 am

What about like, a LAN for just the creature stage or something?

Like, the second player just takes on another member of your species, or a symbiotic species...

Cuz' I find exploring your planet with a buddy a bit more entertaining than swimming and squirming around trying to eat them. .3.

Though other than that, space stage would probably be fairly interesting itself, and probably wouldn't have editor conflictions, since they could just go back to their home planet to make their tech stuff.

Just thinking out loud here. .3.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Lan is just as hard as online. The only "easy" thing is splitscreen.

However, none of this is something we are focusing right now. Maybe as it is "completed" we can do this, but for now we should focus on the more inmediate stuff.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Daniferrito wrote:
Lan is just as hard as online. The only "easy" thing is splitscreen.

However, none of this is something we are focusing right now. Maybe as it is "completed" we can do this, but for now we should focus on the more inmediate stuff.

QFT
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 7:25 pm

A'ight. I'll follow you folks on that one.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 3:07 am

so we can play as plants and plant accessories right and dig in the ground and live like moles and make hives full of [insert honey like thing here] with queens and 1,000s of workers all part of the [insert antlike creature here] society,and big pointless biomachines that eat planets and entire solar systems?
So can I!!! can I!!!
Back to top Go down
Disastericks

PostSubject: limitations   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 2:50 pm

hey guys just wondering what limitation will there be in the microbe stage because ive read in a few other topics like the evolution be be somewhat controlled unlike spore where you just randomly find parts out of the blue.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 3:17 pm

As I had just said on another thread, minor questions like this should go on this thread. What do you mean by limitations? Anything that we isn't coded you can't do. A better question would be what can you do, and that is answered in multiple places.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 38 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next