Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Organ Design - Page 14 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Organ Design

Go down 
+46
ThreeCubed
TheChubbyChihuahua
PortalFan1000
x11x35
Anagennesarcus
Immortal_Dragon
EnergyKnife
DesertBeagle
Seregon
Cobalt58
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
scorpion268
Xazo-Tak
Raptorstorm
WilliamstheJohn
spacetime_dinosaur
Tarpy
untrustedlife
NikolaAnicic007
Juodvarnis
Dilophoraptor
Daniferrito
Noone
NickTheNick
Calfeggs
ido66667
Xinomorph
Deathbite42
Brennus
Mixotroph
Orygandian2
zippybomb
Grep42
PTFace
Pezzalis
Hegataro
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Theusfilipe
MeowMan1
sumwun18
Kraeken
The Uteen
Holomanga
penumbra espinosa
lbrewer
~sciocont
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Organ Design - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 12:31 pm

Keep 'em coming guys. I'll just delete any repeats, but do check the doc in the first post so that you don't repost something from page 2 of this thread.
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks Nikola! That does help clear things up.
Back to top Go down
x11x35

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 3:02 pm

About airsacs, someone may have mentioned this already, they are part of the bird's respiratory system and allow them to oxygenate their blood effectively during strenuous exercise and at very high altitudes where the air is less dense. They're essential for high altitude/sustained flight.

If you guys end of adding these it'd be cool to see some way for air sacs to interface with the respiratory system.

There's also another organ I'd like to suggest.

Organ Name: Spiracles
System: Respiratory
Description: Small pores in the skin/exoskeleton of certain organisms.
Use: Allows oxygen to be moved directly into the tissues from the environment. In some organisms the contraction of muscles also creates a pumping action in the spiracles which allows for effective oxygenation of tissues during rapid movement, even with an open circulatory system.
Details: Common in insects, these are critical to flight and rapid movement.
Back to top Go down
NikolaAnicic007
Newcomer

PostSubject: EVEN MORE ORGAINS :D   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 6:23 am

Well seems I am a Organ guy because I love making new ones

ORGAN NAME:Direct Stomach
SYSTEM:Digestion and Hunting
DESCRIPTION:A stomach that is put instead of a mouth because it has teeth and to hunt it jumps out and grabs its pray with it's teeth (No Less Than 500 (This number can be Edited and the size can also be edited with a limit of 0.2cm))
Use:Used for the replacement of the mouth to free up space for some other organs (This is like a cheap and unprotected version of a 2 in 1 organ for the player who wants to have more organs than a creature who doesn't want it's stomach to hunt it's own food!)
Details:Commonly Seen in Sea Stars and the Hydra (A type of animal that resembles a sponge with hundreds of arms)(This might not be true I forgot...I think it is :I)

ORGAN NAME:Arrow Bone
SYSTEM:Defensive/Offensive
DESCRIPTION:It's a bone named after it's arrow shape that is connected to the creature via thin tube that can spring out of the pore that the bone is located in and hook into the prey/attacking creature (This organ can easely be regenerated)
Use:For slowing down animals and damaging other organs (Limit of 2m/s on spring out)
Details:Commonly seen in animals who want to slowly damage animals from a distance (Can be combined with a toxic gland to deliver toxins to prey animals)
Interesting:Can be made out of 3 Materials:Carbon Crystals,Bone & Tissue

More Comming Later!
Back to top Go down
ThreeCubed
Newcomer
ThreeCubed

PostSubject: Toxins.   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Organs to be designing? Why the Belgium not!

Spasm-Toxin Gland.
System: Peripheral
Description: A toxin for causing organisms to Spasm.
Use: When your creature injects an organism, either by using a claw, a biting mechanism, or any other means, the toxin would go through the Nervous System, and would go to the brain, causing the organisms brain to send multitudes of senses to their muscles system, telling them to contract and expand rapidly, causing them to be Defenseless, allowing an easy kill.

Vomit-Toxin Gland.
System: Peripheral
Description: A toxin for causing the organism to vomit uncontrollably.
Use: When your creature injects another creature with this toxin, it goes through to its brain, causing it to think that it has eaten some venomous food, and it will start to vomit uncontrollably, untill all of its stomach contents are depleted, once that occurs, the toxin de-activates.

Blood-Toxin Gland.
SystemL Peripheral
Description: Causes unseen side effects to the blood of creatures.
Use: when injected into a creature, it flows through their blood and eventually to their heart, causing side effects such as Deprived Blood-Oxygen, Decreased White Blood Cells, and Vein Puncturing.

...I think ive devised some pretty gruesome Toxins here... I love it.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, or sound harsh, but what I think was decided was a generic Gland organ you can place, modify the produced agents, and choose which orifice it is excreted from (claws, teeth, skin, etc.). These would make very cool, and gruesome, effects like you said, good imagination.
Back to top Go down
ThreeCubed
Newcomer
ThreeCubed

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
I'm not trying to burst your bubble, or sound harsh, but what I think was decided was a generic Gland organ you can place, modify the produced agents, and choose which orifice it is excreted from (claws, teeth, skin, etc.). These would make very cool, and gruesome, effects like you said, good imagination.
So we can make the ones I thought of and More?! Sweet. Now I can BURN THE SKIN OFF MY ENEMIES... Sorry, I just went insane for a moment.
Back to top Go down
ccarriel
Newcomer
ccarriel

PostSubject: Topic: Gas and its use   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 11:18 pm

I dont remember if this was already mentioned, but since the gland can in theory make any sustance we want/need, then it can also make some kind of gas (helium maybe) to:
a) use it with the dragons`idea
or
b) fill an aerial sack with it for easier flotability

P.D: Keep up the good work, i have been following this for like a year or more. (I also talk spanish in case u need some tranlation(btw i know there is a topic for that xD))
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 1:14 am

Organ name: Egg development
System: Reproductive
Description: Assuming that your animal doesn't lay eggs, where you place it would be where it develop.
Use: It would swell where it is if fertilized, and it would be easier to protect them considering that they are literally inside you (Don't :evil: ), instead of being in cute little capsules for a animal to eat.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 6:39 am

Actually Portal, the Internal Fertilization organ takes care of eggs. Since it is a sac that swells up with eggs/young when fertilized. Unless you are talking about a creature being ovoviviparous, I think that is more of an editing thing rather than an organ thing.

And ccarriel, I think the dragons idea has been settled for something more like the bombardier beetle, where the two substances will have to mix outside of the body/mouth, otherwise the creature will burn itself. I think glands are more for secreting chemicals/agents, but with the node and tube system, you can connect things like bladders and the generic air sac to the digestive system and use it to generate the gas (this will most likely be methane or hydrogen).
Back to top Go down
King Plorpadeus Ex
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:48 pm

The Limbic System
System: Nervous
Description: A part of the brain that controls emotions, olfactory, and other things.
Use: This should introduce the concept of emotions and feelings. You can make emotions bound with behaviors. You can also make alien emotions. For instance, a herd grazing animal will active a bunch of defensive behaviors when it is scared.
Details: Should be able to drag it around and change its shape.

I will come up with more brain concepts tomorrow.

:alien: 
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Um, the Brain is actually going to be just one part that can have the different sections edited, I think.
Back to top Go down
King Plorpadeus Ex
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 1:55 am

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
Um, the Brain is actually going to be just one part that can have the different sections edited, I think.
Yes, I know, but I think that the concept of emotions should be included, so I decided to introduce the limbic system to regulate them. It does not have to be a separate part, but a part of the normal brain.

Last edited by King Plorpadeus Ex on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More detail.)
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 3:16 am

Emotions would be too complex for the game, plus it would interfere with the player's interaction.
Back to top Go down
King Plorpadeus Ex
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 4:58 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Emotions would be too complex for the game, plus it would interfere with the player's interaction.
Oh yes, that is true, but couldn't emotions in creatures apart from the one the player is controlling be included?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 1:43 pm

No, because animal consciousness and emotion is something we have yet to gain a grasp of in modern science, and in terms of video game design there has yet to be an AI that can simulate emotions.
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 4:09 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
No, because animal consciousness and emotion is something we have yet to gain a grasp of in modern science, and in terms of video game design there has yet to be an AI that can simulate emotions.
I'm not an advocate of implementing emotions, but that is a poor argument. You can simulate anything with a resemblance of a pattern (and that's all we do for any of the processes that will be in the game: simulate a simplified pattern)
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 6:29 pm

Yes, true, just as sims simulated emotions as well, but I think King Plorpadeus Ex meant actually simulating a strong AI with emotions. Regardless, it's unnecessary over-complication of something which can easily and accurately be covered already with brains and the behaviour editor.

Last edited by NickTheNick on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)
Back to top Go down
King Plorpadeus Ex
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 2:26 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Yes, true, just as sims simulated emotions as well, but I think King Plorpadeus Ex meant actually simulating a strong AI with emotions. Regardless, it's unnecessary over-complication of something which can easily and accurately be covered already with brains and the behaviour editor.
Yes, I now realize that my idea was foolish. I should have known that you had already discussed this. I am sorry for my stupid concept.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 2:43 am

Don't worry, it wasn't stupid, just make sure to research a subject before posting about it.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 7:44 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Don't worry, it wasn't stupid, just make sure to research a subject before posting about it.
Im thinking to create some new organ concepts soon, i hope my curent ones will help.
Sorry for massive inactivity lately, i want to contribute.

EDIT: Hmmm... Bird lungs?
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 11:09 am

Well, since I don't see anything in Digestive systems for the approved list;

Standard Stomach
System: Digestive
Description: A simple, muscular sack full of digestive fluids.
Use: A Simple stomach for digestion of sustenance.
Details: Can be tuned to be better for digestion of meat, plant matter, minerals, or other sustenance.

2-Chambered Stomach
Description: A pair of simple, connected, muscular sacks full of digestive fluids.
Use: Double the stomach, double the power.
Details: Can be tuned to be better for digestion of meat, plant matter, minerals, or other sustenance.

3-Chambered Stomach
Description: Three simple, connected, muscular sacks full of digestive fluids.
Use: Triple the stomach, triple the power.

4-Chambered Stomach
Description: Four simple, connected, muscular sacks full of digestive fluids.
Use: Double 2-chambers, four times the power.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 3:05 am

Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox wrote:

Standard Stomach

2-Chambered Stomach
Description: A pair of simple, connected, muscular sacks full of digestive fluids.

3-Chambered Stomach

4-Chambered Stomach
Also, what about... The thing for throwing away useless stuff in digested and ruminants?
And have we discussed kidneys yet? I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 11:32 am

WilliamstheJohn wrote:
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox wrote:

Standard Stomach

2-Chambered Stomach

3-Chambered Stomach

4-Chambered Stomach
Also, what about... The thing for throwing away useless stuff in digested and ruminants?
And have we discussed kidneys yet? I don't think so.
I might be able to come up with something.

Also, I only went to four, because that's the most I've heard of. .3.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Actually, I think that the end of the digestive system will just be linked to an orifice that is designated or something like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Organ Design
Page 14 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next