Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Programmer Introduction Thread Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Programmer Introduction Thread

Go down 
+24
SuperLala
timlyo
ThatboiJo
tjblazer85
FunnyGames
untrustedlife
TropicalMammoth
ostrich160
Ionstorm
Thriving Cheese
Gawayno
ScProgramming
liminal18
Daniferrito
gdt1320
TranquilMarmot
GamerXA
ido66667
ThRYCKz
jaws2blood
Apeiron
Carnifex
Seregon
NickTheNick
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Programmer Introduction Thread Empty
PostSubject: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:34 pm

All new programmers please introduce yourselves on this thread.

-------------------------------

All new programmers, welcome and we are glad to have you with us! Be sure to still introduce yourselves in this subforum, but post here if you wish to join the coding team.

Use this thread to ask any questions on how to get started with the programming, to discuss anything you are currently programming or any questions you have on how the game will be coded, or any other topics related to the code of the game: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t886-programmer-coordination-discussion#17414

Our Github Repository, with all the code available for viewing, can be found here: https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive

The GET INVOLVED thread, in case you have not yet found it, is a Global Announcement on these forums containing links to all major threads for each field of development: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1097-get-involved

And here is a subforum just for you: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/f26-programming

Good luck getting started, and have fun on the forums working on this epic game! :D 

Original Introduction
Spoiler:

-------------------------------

Introduced Programmers:

Seregon
Carnifex
Apeiron
jaws2blood
ThRYCKz
GamerXA
TranquilMarmot
gdt1320
Daniferrito
liminal18
ScProgramming
Gawayno
Thriving Cheese
Ionstorm
ostrich160
TropicalMammoth
untrustedlife
FunnyGames
tjblazer85
ThatboiJo
timlyo
SuperLala
crovea
HariboTer
Karthas077

Currently Active Programmers:

Nimbal
SuperLala
crovea

Last edited by NickTheNick on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:07 pm; edited 16 times in total
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:34 am

I've actually been discussing this with Apeiron over pm since last night. All I'll suggest for now is that all programmers post their experience in this thread, and any new programmers are pointed this way.

As the game is currently being made using c++/ogre, those are the most important skills needed, but anything else will be useful too. I'll start:

c++ experience: 4 years
production level c++: 0 years
ogre: 0

other major experience: c# (5 years), unity3d (2 years), matlab (6 years)
minor: html, css, java, python, octave, fortran

other skills: math, 3d math

past projects: genetic algorithms, neural networks, novel AI, population simulations.

If you can think of anything else worth adding (notable projects, other skills), please add them.

Can I also suggest we keep this thread clear of discussion. If you think something needs discussion, please us this thread, create a new thread here, or if your not yet able to create threads, send me a pm and I'll do so for you. I'll also try to make sure any relevant threads are linked from here.

edit: added past projects.

Last edited by Seregon on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carnifex
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:36 am

C++ experience: 3 years
production level C++: 1 year
Ogre: 0

other major experience: Python (5 years), Java (4 years), C (2 years), HTML (10 years), CSS (10 years), PHP (8 years), Javascript/JQuery/Ajax (4 years)
minor: c#, heroscript, unrealscript, nwscript, other non-relevant scripting languages

other skills: project management (prince2)

I am a bioinformatician with great understanding of DNA and everything involved (such as evolution, chemistry and molecular biology). Which might come in handy for certain parts of the game.
Back to top Go down
Apeiron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 7:15 am

C++: 7 years
Actual professional experience: 1 year
(Although I'm probably the go-to guy if you need some assistance with the C++ itself, I made the ISO standard a compulsory reading for myself :).)
I can do stuff in any imperative / functional language that's required.
Experience with: C, Python, Haskell and some assembly-level languages. (Need to optimize the inner-most loop ? Good, I'm the guy for that.)

Other skills: High level design and software architecture, math

I'm a computer scientist, I eat algorithms for breakfast. The most recent thing I worked on (been working on'ish ...) is the rating and matchmaking system for a multi-player game (player skill balancing). (Both the design of the system and the implementation.) The only thing I know about biology though is that the animals have different leg-counts. Also, if the leg-count exceeds 4 legs, it's likely I'm afraid of the sodding thing.

All in all, designing data structures and algorithms is what I should probably be utilized for, but I'm here to learn and gather experience, so throw something at me and I'll probably do it.
Back to top Go down
jaws2blood
Newcomer
jaws2blood

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:04 pm

C++: 2 years
Professional: none
Ogre: 1 year but still need more to know

I am completely and utterly self taught and I USED to make games every other sunday but, I've gotten pretty rusty and busy with real life stuff. I will be able to aid in the development of thrive, but not as if it were my job. also, even though this will be useless, I'm quite nifty with Blender 3d modeling. also, just to let anyone unaware know, the current coding for thrive will have to be rewritten from scratch, a few pivotal files are, well, poopy.
Back to top Go down
ThRYCKz
Newcomer
ThRYCKz

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:02 pm

These are what I think is worth mentioning:

Visual Basic / vb.net Experience: 4 years
CSHARP / C#.net Experience: 2 years <===== Great at.
C++ / C++.net Experience = A month
PHP Experience = Two months
OGRE = None

Other Skills:
Rough 3D Model Creation = 2 years
Graphic Design = 4 years
Music Producing = 6 Years
Audio SFX = 1 Year

I know that it looks like I am highly undeveloped at C++, but C# and VB taught me most of what is needed for programming. I do feel as if I can deeply help out with the game's C++ Programming despite my experience. I am great in C# though so I am certain I can develop a useful tool for the game in the minimal amount of time using C#.

No projects, a freshman in High School

Back to top Go down
http://www.thryckz.com
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:19 pm

I don't have anything worth mentioning exept that I understand some Database logic...
SQL and HTML...
AS I SAID ONLY SOME.

Not a state of the art dude.

P.S.
STOP MAKING THREADS LIKE YOU ARE THE LEADER OF THE FORUM, YOU ARE JUST CONFUSING PEOPLE.
WE ALREADY HAVE A THREAD BY SURGEN, THE REAL PROGRAMER!
Back to top Go down
Carnifex
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:52 am

ido66667 wrote:
I don't have anything worth mentioning exept that I understand some Database logic...
SQL and HTML...
AS I SAID ONLY SOME.

Not a state of the art dude.

P.S.
STOP MAKING THREADS LIKE YOU ARE THE LEADER OF THE FORUM, YOU ARE JUST CONFUSING PEOPLE.
WE ALREADY HAVE A THREAD BY SURGEN, THE REAL PROGRAMER!

A specification of your C++ and other programming experience was requested by Seregon, I don't see how overusage of capital lettering and an insult contribute to this thread.
Stating you have some basic knowledge of SQL and HTML is fine, but there's no need to start derailing the thread by trolling or whatever the belgium it is you are doing.

I think nick simply made a suggestion, perhaps the word "we" is a little out of place but he meant well I guess.
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:06 am

If anything, I've hijacked Nick's thread. The other thread your refering to was made after this one, in order to avoid unnecessary discussion here.

Nick was only trying to help by getting things organised, and I can only thank him for that.

Now, can we keep this on topic, and move any further discussion to the thread linked above please.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:06 pm

I assume I should post here.

C++ Experience: 2 years
Production Level: None
Ogre: I'm familiar with some of it.

Other: GML (5 years), Delphi Pascal (2 years)
Minor: Java and HTML

Skills:
Basic Vector Math and 3D Modelling with a lot of experience with creating 3D Games.

Other Projects:
* Ecosystem Simulation (Including Evolution Algorithms)
* Procedural Terrain Generation
* FPS (with Gas/Atmosphere Based Game Mechanic)
* Solar System Gravity Simulations
* And Modded a handful of Games
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 6:00 am

Anyone programmers who haven't already, could you check the discussion thread, as we're trying to arrange a meeting over IRC.
Back to top Go down
TranquilMarmot

TranquilMarmot

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Hey guys, I'm a programmer looking to help out on this project- I see a lot of potential here!

Major skills:
I have about 2 years of experience with C/C++ and 3 years of experience with Java. I'd say I'm a lot more comfortable with Java, but I do pretty well with C/C++.

I've got 2 years of self-taught OpenGL knowledge under my belt- I've made 3D and 2D games from scratch before using OpenGL, and they've turned out pretty nicely (although they were mostly solo projects started as learning experiences and were left unfinished).

I've been using git for a bit over a year now; I've never used mercurial or subversion.

I'm a very quick learner and always eager to learn more and to apply my knowledge to new and interesting problems. I also love teaching things to people, so if I end up getting involved in this expect to see quite a few tutorials from me!

Minor skills:
I'm familiar with Python, HTML/CSS, SQL, some assembly, and a whole bunch of other languages. Over the next year, I plan on learning Haskell and Javascript.

I'm pretty good with 2D art, I've been doing a lot of svg stuff lately and am really good with Photoshop.

I have a bit of experience making 3D models, mostly in Blender. I'm very familiar with all the formats that 3D models are stored in and how to read those formats and render them using OpenGL. As for OGRE, I've never used it; I looked into it a while back but opted to write my own rendering engine for the sake of getting some experience (which ended up using a large chunk of my allotted development time). OGRE seems like it would be a great choice for this project.

I've never worked on any production code, but I do have strict personal standards that I apply to all of my code that tend to mesh nicely with most coding standards I've seen. I'm still a student (college, almost done) but I've had a pretty unorthodox education so I know a lot. I'm studying computer science, so expect a lot of thought and theory to go into any code I write. I recognize that I still have a lot to learn- it's more important to know what you can't do than it is to know what you can do!

Can't wait to get started! I'll join the IRC channel shortly.
Back to top Go down
gdt1320
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 am

c++ experience: 1 year

other major experience: matlab 4 years,
minor: python

other skills: math, kinetics, numerical methods, processes, thermodynamics, chemistry

past projects: nothing serious. Some class projects, and a small minigame in c++.

So my coding skills as a programmer may not be up to par, but I'm pretty good at writing specific methods to model various systems. (I.E. cell growth in response to environmental conditions, enzyme kinetics, pretty much anything to an extent) If you think I can help in any way let me know.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 9:12 am

I have alredy presented myself in the presentation subforum, but i gess i would put this here to have this kind of info more centralized.

C++ experience: 1 Year
C++ real project experience: 0
ogre experience: 0

Other: Java (2 year), python
Minor: delphi (just tiny)

Rellevant skills: Astronomy physics, math and AI (just starting on that, althrough i could easily get help on AI translating)

Projects: Mainly on android devices: table games (othello, go and tic, tac, toe), including a computer controlated oponent (not for go), a solar system simulator, with real values calculations and editable objects, and part of a voice messaging aplication (just the client side).

Biggest project on C++ was a sudoku solver, and althrough it was quite badly implemented, it still solved them.
Back to top Go down
liminal18
Newcomer

PostSubject: moderately experienced programmer   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 1:42 am

Hi,

Thrive looks really cool. I just played around with the cell editor.
Let me know if you need any help. You seem to have quite a few programmers, but
I would love to get into the challenge of developing with you. I have experience in Python, Supercollider, Java, Javascript, and others.
Let me know ASAP the cell editor didn't look terribly beyond my abilities and I would love to work on menus, or other basic routines.

Again hit me off if you need anyone.

Andrew
Back to top Go down
ScProgramming

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 11:46 pm

Hey guys, I'm a new programmer here, so I guess I will post some of my experience

c++ experience: 1 years

other major experience: c# (2 years), Visual Basic (3 years), Python (1 year),

other skills: I'm decent at most math and some science

Past projects: Mostly school projects, some mini games in Visual Basic, nothing too major.

Looking forward to helping out.
Back to top Go down
Gawayno
Newcomer
Gawayno

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm gonna try the programming myself, so I'll post here.

C++ Experience: Took 2 classes of it.
Production Level: Expert
Ogre: Gonna be new to it too.

Other: C# (4 Years), Unity 3D (3 years)
Minor: HTML (5 Years)

Subjects:
-Math
-Evolution
-History
-Culture
-Biology
-Writing Stories.

Other Projects:
-Level Design in Unity.
-Several Games in Unity, both 2D and 3D.
-Prototypes in Unity.

Last edited by Gawayno on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 2:42 pm

C++ experience: 2 years (reading tutorials (including books ) about c++)
production level C++: 0 years
Ogre: Newbie

minor experience: Python (2 months), Javascript (1 months), unity 3d (2 months), Blender game engine (2 years)

other skills: Blender (2 years)
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
Ionstorm
Newcomer
Ionstorm

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 6:38 am

Hi I would love to help.

C++ Experience: 1 Year
Production Level: Poor
Ogre: Will be first time.

minor skills: JavaScript/html 1 year,c# 2 years, java 2 years, c#+xna 1 year,java + lwjgl 1 year.

I'm decent at maths and fine at science.
Back to top Go down
ostrich160

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:54 pm

C++ Experience: To be honest I dont really code in C++, but rather java. However, that said, if your game is in C++ Im willing to learn, and it would provide me with more experience learning alongside these professionals.
Production Level: None
Ogre: Dont really know much about it, but I've used unity.

Main skills:
Well to be honest Im not an entirely experienced programmer, so maybe this isnt the right thread to post in, however I do a bit of it, I also do 3d modelling and Im good at game design (just to make it clear, Im not one of those people who say their good at game design because they have some good ideas, I format them into every possible detail and research how they could be made, programmed and modelled).

Other Projects:
I also work on my own game, so I couldnt be full time, however anything I learn off my game I can incorporate to this project, and visa versa.

So in short, Im not as knowledgable as most here, but Im a good game designer and it couldnt hurt to give me a shot

P.s. Aside from that, I have good organisation and contact skills. So for example, I heard you needed biologists for the cell stage. Well, if I become part of the team, Im good friends with a community of genetic engineers who love this kind of thing, so just say the word.
Back to top Go down
TropicalMammoth
Newcomer
TropicalMammoth

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Greetings, I am interested in becoming a programmer, I have over 5 years of prior programming experience with a multitude of languages.

C++;C#;VB.NET;Java

I would be glad to offer my skills to this promising project.

C++ Experience: 3 Years
Production Level: I know how to assemble legible source
Ogre: I've experimented with it
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 pm

C++,GML,Python,Java,JBasic,VisualBasic

Past-projects
I m currently developing a Roguelike Game called Roguelegends, I have also done a ton of little-large projects. (including a game like terraria that was never finished, but i still might work on it)
I Have developed a couple mildly complex evolution simulations in python,these simulations include, predator-prey evolution, plant evolution and mutation and natural selection, food and water (and many other things).

I have just recently started c++ a few months ago (enough to do 2d stuff in libtcod (my favorite 2d library :P)
I have had many years of experience with GML (Maybe i could do some prototyping for you guys?)
2 years of experiance with python (then I stopped doing python because i wanted to start C++)
the Other languages i know are kind of spread out but I have done games in both Jbasic, and VBasic .
I Have read many tutorials on C++ out of curiosity as-well.

0 experience with ogre (Though i will try it out at some point in the next couple days)
I would love to help out with prototyping things.
Back to top Go down
FunnyGames
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 2:47 am

I thought about it, and I would like work on the project as well.

I know C/C++/C#, GML, Java (as a side).

As I already wrote in my Hello thread, I do have some experience, especially with finding a logic.
I don't really want to rewrite everything, I wrote everything here:
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1118-hello-i-m-new

Now, I never worked with orge.

Mainly, I like creating AI's and find logic to games.
Back to top Go down
tjblazer85
Newcomer
tjblazer85

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 am

C++ Experience: 1 Year
Production Level C++: 0 years
Ogre: 0 years

Other Major Experiences: unity3d 1 Year, HTML 1 Year, Java 1 Year, Construct 2 1 Year, Wings 3D 1 Year and Blender 1 Year

Other Skills: Math, Science, Logic and Artistic Skills

Past Projects: Top-Down Shooters, Mods for Minecraft, Tower Defense, Evolution Simulator and Racing Games
Back to top Go down
ThatboiJo

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 am

I just joined this site about 5 minutes ago, and i think i'll post my programming experience. I'm interested in how this game will turn out.

C++: One year of a high school class.
Java: One year of a college level high school class. I still program in java though.
Android: Started a few months ago. I use java for my apps. I have one app out, and i'm working on another one.

I've kind of worked with C++ in the XNA game studio, but it was only for about a week. A few years ago i tried working with python, but then i ended up taking the C++ class. I've also used Visual Basics, but i went back to java. Well that's all i can really think of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Programmer Introduction Thread   Programmer Introduction Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Programmer Introduction Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next