Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Extended Research List - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Extended Research List

Go down 
+21
Darkgamma
Redstar
caekdaemon
Waap
Xenopologist
Albalrogue
Tenebrarum
zotobom
Lukas99
Agrestrife
Poisson
Noitulove
roadkillguy
YourBreakfast
GamerXA
Invader
~sciocont
eumesmo
The Uteen
Commander Keen
US_of_Alaska
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Extended Research List - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 11:02 pm

"Waterbound Collecting", or maybe "Waterbound Gathering".
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 11:04 pm

GamerXA wrote:
"Waterbound Collecting", or maybe "Waterbound Gathering".
Waterbound gathering sounds like it would allow for the collection of all kinds of resources in the water. Excellent terminology there. Will update now.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 11:47 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
Why does sailing require fishing or weaving? They can row their boats, and they don't have to fish while they're at sea.
Sailing as in sails? You can't sail with oars. Cloth is needed, and weaving allows cloth to be made into clothes, etc. Sailing is a logical progression of fishing. Why else would you be at sea? Although i can understand that it would be hard for an herbivorous species to get to sailing if it requires fishing... Maybe an herbivorous path is needed to get to sailing? Suggestions for this would be welcome.

Well, there's transportation. Also, I didn't really think about the "sailing" thing- I interpereted it as boating in general.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 2:21 am

InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
Why does sailing require fishing or weaving? They can row their boats, and they don't have to fish while they're at sea.
Sailing as in sails? You can't sail with oars. Cloth is needed, and weaving allows cloth to be made into clothes, etc. Sailing is a logical progression of fishing. Why else would you be at sea? Although i can understand that it would be hard for an herbivorous species to get to sailing if it requires fishing... Maybe an herbivorous path is needed to get to sailing? Suggestions for this would be welcome.

Well, there's transportation. Also, I didn't really think about the "sailing" thing- I interpereted it as boating in general.
Maybe a research 'Boating' should come from 'Waterbound Gathering', and 'Sailing' should be derived from 'Boating' and 'Weaving'?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 3:39 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

Maybe a research 'Boating' should come from 'Waterbound Gathering', and 'Sailing' should be derived from 'Boating' and 'Weaving'?

Putting aside the other researches for a moment...

The way I'd see it is first boating (Covering rowing and canoeing, allowing boats to be made),

then sailing (increased speed and turning, tacking needed when wind against them, allows sailing boats to be made),
with waterbound gathering (Boats can be equipped with fishing tools to collect fish when stationary, providing a food income on return to SC)

On-topic: I'd suggest adding wood-crafting to the tech tree.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:26 am

The Uteen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

The way I'd see it is first boating (Covering rowing and canoeing, allowing boats to be made),

then sailing (increased speed and turning, tacking needed when wind against them, allows sailing boats to be made),
with waterbound gathering (Boats can be equipped with fishing tools to collect fish when stationary, providing a food income on return to SC)

But waterbound gathering can be done without any boats. Just stand in the water and spear the buggers. Or rip out the seaweed.

Wood Crafting, hey? Alright, another of the very first with no requisites?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 5:41 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

But waterbound gathering can be done without any boats. Just stand in the water and spear the buggers. Or rip out the seaweed.

Wood Crafting, hey? Alright, another of the very first with no requisites?

Sounds good. Make the wheel require wood crafting, though. Maybe fishing, too. But one other thing: At what point in the game do you unlock the first researches?

I assume it's at the beginning of awakening, so...

Weaving requisites: Access to fibrous materials.

Fishing: Knowledge of fish (after awakening), the ability to eat fish.

Stone Knapping: Access to stone.

The Wheel: Must live on flat ground, not cliffs/cave ceilings.
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 am

What about flying species? I'm sure they'd be able to skip a lot of these if they're able to become sapient, no?
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 11:59 am

That's a pretty cool list.

Anyway, are there any seams between 'tribal stage' and 'civ stage'?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 1:01 pm

It's pretty seamless right now, all that matters is your technology level.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 2:09 am

The Uteen wrote:
Sounds good. Make the wheel require wood crafting, though. Maybe fishing, too. But one other thing: At what point in the game do you unlock the first researches?

Why would The Wheel require fishing? When Strategy Mode is unlocked you can actively seek out researches (see RedStar's Research Generation System for more information).

And talking of the Research Generation System, all of the things you mentioned there were more about the generation of the research. Which does make me think that i need to add another column for research 'types'. Like 'Food', 'Resource', 'Military', 'Metals', etc. We need to think about what Research Types there would be, as well.

@YB: What researches do you think flying creatures would skip? Because i can't think of any.

EDIT: GOOD GOD GENTLEMEN! WE HAVE FORGOTTEN FIRE! Where should it go? What should it require? Because there were wooden tools before fire, wasn't there?
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:44 am

and stone tools also
there are a couple of researches that could have a accident chance; like the wheel if you found a round stone and fire if a lighting started a fire i

if not then fire would need wood as the raw material and a bit of a brain... wooden sticks would be used to light it up by friction. Stone circles [new tech to add (i don't know what to call it)] would allow you to use stones around fire reducing chance of turning it into a wild fire. stone napping would let you start a fire with stones making it faster and more successful)
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 2:49 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:

EDIT: GOOD GOD GENTLEMEN! WE HAVE FORGOTTEN FIRE! Where should it go? What should it require? Because there were wooden tools before fire, wasn't there?

I think fire should be it's own thing. I don't think it should require anything... maybe watching a lightning bolt strike a tree... but that's a little too vague.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 4:26 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:

IMO (in my opinion) it shouldn't always be fire. It could be something precious, though, like a gemstone or something. As long as you're the first of the first sapient generation to realize that you're, well, sapient, and look at something in a whole new way.

Then again I'm not very scientific. That's just me. It may not be right.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 4:30 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
I think fire should be it's own thing. I don't think it should require anything... maybe watching a lightning bolt strike a tree... but that's a little too vague.

The only thing fire research should require is seeing it in nature. Doesn't matter if the grass started burning from heat, a tree was struck by lightning or an animal did it unintenationaly, the player should be able to send his tribemen to examine and research the fire. First, ability to use it would be gained, then to carry it, then to make it.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 6:03 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Just because you see fire doesn't mean you can control it. Else why aren't those birds and chimps that are smart enough to make wooden tools running around with flaming torches?
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Chimps with wooden tools? Where have I been?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 3:00 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Why would The Wheel require fishing? When Strategy Mode is unlocked you can actively seek out researches (see RedStar's Research Generation System for more information).

And talking of the Research Generation System, all of the things you mentioned there were more about the generation of the research. Which does make me think that i need to add another column for research 'types'. Like 'Food', 'Resource', 'Military', 'Metals', etc. We need to think about what Research Types there would be, as well.

@YB: What researches do you think flying creatures would skip? Because i can't think of any.

I mean I think Fishing needs wood crafting, too.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:34 am

Noitulove wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

IMO (in my opinion) it shouldn't always be fire. It could be something precious, though, like a gemstone or something. As long as you're the first of the first sapient generation to realize that you're, well, sapient, and look at something in a whole new way.

Then again I'm not very scientific. That's just me. It may not be right.
Actually it should. We've already beaten this topic to death on the old forum. While many things can trigger sapience, fire is a vital tech to discover.
Back to top Go down
Agrestrife
Newcomer
Agrestrife

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi! I'm back on the forums!!! I have (more or less) kept up to date. Anyway I only think it should take what it needs to be done completely rubbishly then get better when the species has stuff like wood tools ect. . Fishing could be done by hand and simply done quicker with fishing rods. A fallen log could be used as a raft and could be made into a boat with more knowledge.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 7:19 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Chimps with wooden tools? Where have I been?
I
Don't
Know
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Whooa!

Now that that's over, is there necessarily anything that should come before primitive tools?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 4:55 am

roadkillguy wrote:
Whooa!

Now that that's over, is there necessarily anything that should come before primitive tools?
Nothing other than someway to manipulate them. That i can think of, anyways.
Back to top Go down
Lukas99
Newcomer
Lukas99

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 7:46 pm

I have a couple things to say. First, while fire is very imporant, it's not completely nessecary. Fire is the fist step in chemistry, it teaches us that an action has a reaction; in this case friction=fire. But, something else could easily take fires place, such as to chemicals that, when mixed together, glow. I think this would be the case in an aquatic civilization tree.
Second Flying creatures wouldn't invent the wheel. It would be unnecessary for them, they would always be able to fly faster. The might invent a light weight carry device that multiple beings would fly with, to carry goods.
Third, well while typing first and second I forgot what this was supposed to be.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Lukas99 wrote:
I have a couple things to say. First, while fire is very imporant, it's not completely nessecary. Fire is the fist step in chemistry, it teaches us that an action has a reaction; in this case friction=fire. But, something else could easily take fires place, such as to chemicals that, when mixed together, glow. I think this would be the case in an aquatic civilization tree.
Second Flying creatures wouldn't invent the wheel. It would be unnecessary for them, they would always be able to fly faster. The might invent a light weight carry device that multiple beings would fly with, to carry goods.
Third, well while typing first and second I forgot what this was supposed to be.
Without fire, you cannot have any metal-working technologies. Without fire, your species will always be stuck in the Stone Age (at least physically, their society might be modern or even ultramodern).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Extended Research List
Page 2 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next