Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Ideas for Movement Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Ideas for Movement Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Ideas for Movement Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Ideas for Movement Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Ideas for Movement Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Ideas for Movement Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Ideas for Movement Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Ideas for Movement Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Ideas for Movement Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Ideas for Movement Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Ideas for Movement Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Ideas for Movement Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Ideas for Movement Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Ideas for Movement Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Ideas for Movement Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Ideas for Movement Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Ideas for Movement Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Ideas for Movement Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Ideas for Movement Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Ideas for Movement Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Ideas for Movement

Go down 
+5
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
GamerXA
The Uteen
Galox
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Galox

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Ok, so, I have a few ideas here on how to make your animal move right, and make it move how you want it to. This will affect your creatures Speed, jumping abilities, and off-road travelling abilities ect.

After you've made your animal, you get to choose a movement set. There should be preset ones for easy selection, like:

Crocodile
Bird
Cattle
Theropod
Sauropod
Human
Gorilla

ect. But there should also be a movement creator, allowing you to edit the movement. If you're having sea animals in this game, other movement sets should be including, too:

Shark
Whale
Frog
Crocodile
Squid
ect.

Just thought I'd throw some ideas up there, I wont be following this forum. Thanks for reasing, anyhoo.

-Galox
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 3:02 pm

I'd just like to say there should be the option to have no movement, too.

And can I add to the idea:

If the muscles are too weak, some choices may not be available.

Muscles for sudden bursts can't be used in normal movement.

You should be able to have multiple movement choices, (either named or numbered) such as:

Normal for organism (maybe normal for organism 2)

Running/faster flight/faster swim (maybe a 2 option again)

Possibly baby movement (wriggle and or crawl) (I say possibly because hopefully the game can decide baby movements, and you shouldn't have the ability to make a human baby walk)

Stealth (try not to use hard impacts to lower sound production) (fish could be to move water as little as possible) (for birds maybe this could be repaced by glide) (plants could use muscles to stop movement)

Playing dead (no movement) (possibly activation of glands to produce dead smells)

Any more you can come up with feel free to suggest.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Most Terrestrial Endoskeletal Organism on Earth's walking gaits are determined by the way the spine can bend more freely, the position of the feet and shape of the legs relative to the body, and the number of legs.

One of my ideas before the recent-old forum died, was to have each of the muscles increases and decrease in length, and each muscle has an individual value in each individual pose and animation. Each muscle's value is also selected by natural selection. The poses are broken down into animations that don't take much Resources on the Computer when used in-game.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Last i remember, Bash was thinking of a procedural gait animator.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 3:49 pm

~sciocont wrote:
That also appears at this stage to be a good idea, so long as it doesn't turn out like Spore's 'Procedural' gaits.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 9:11 pm

GamerXA wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
That also appears at this stage to be a good idea, so long as it doesn't turn out like Spore's 'Procedural' gaits.
Spore's end result wasn't procedural at all. If we don't do better than that, we didn't try.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 9:55 pm

From what I gathered, Bash was going to make the procedural gaits to logically match the structure of said organism. I suppose we could force the gait assigned to the organism to be replaced, though.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 9:57 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
From what I gathered, Bash was going to make the procedural gaits to logically match the structure of said organism. I suppose we could force the gait assigned to the organism to be replaced, though.
It might create some strange appearances, though.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 1:49 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
GamerXA wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Spore's end result wasn't procedural at all. If we don't do better than that, we didn't try.
Exactly.

Procedural Gaits are going to annoying to accomplish and to fine tune.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 8:38 pm

GamerXA wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
GamerXA wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Exactly.

But it's probably the best way. Procedurals will, i think, be controlled by the entire body, not just the legs and such.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 4:44 am

GamerXA wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
GamerXA wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Exactly.

Accomplishing procedural gaits and fine-tuning them is my job though
I don't mind the annoyance.

Also, on top of actually making the model walk, many fine adjustments are made to e.g. the skin and fat clinging to the body, to give a much higher impression of realism (basically, as the creature moves about its fat "jiggles" for instance) This is all prechached in order to reduce load on the cpu.

If anyone is interested on just how i am going to accomplish procedural gaits, I arrange the bones in order of where they are on the spine, and walk down each bone moving them with a delay depending on how far they are down the spine, and treating left and right sides as 90 degrees out of phase. Also, walking along the tree, to muscles, and skin, have delays set as well. Each item in the creature also adds to a mass scalar field, which is used by the system to determine weight distribution and affects the movement of the creature, and its parts, as well, amongst other tweaks and so on.

In the beginning, there will be certain types of creatures that will have extremely odd gaits.
You submit a bug report, along with the creature file, and i'll add a patch to account for whatever i didn't before that caused the odd gait.

Essentially, creatures should walk as close as possible to walk how they would in real life. Crabs walk they way they do not because they are crabs, but because they are _shaped_ like crabs, if that makes sense. Having two identical creatures structuraly with different gaits doesn't make any sense.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 4:51 am

Isn't the similar gaits for similar bodies achieved because of convergent evolution.

Also, how do you intend to achieve procedural gaits with radically different organisms such as starfish, slugs, fish, octopus, squid, birds, bipeds, gibbons, blobs (???), rolling armadillos and caterpillars (they exist), stingrays and other creative movements.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:23 am

GamerXA wrote:
Isn't the similar gaits for similar bodies achieved because of convergent evolution.

Also, how do you intend to achieve procedural gaits with radically different organisms such as starfish, slugs, fish, octopus, squid, birds, bipeds, gibbons, blobs (???), rolling armadillos and caterpillars (they exist), stingrays and other creative movements.

By going through the same procedure as this
Quote :

In the beginning, there will be certain types of creatures that will have extremely odd gaits.
You submit a bug report, along with the creature file, and i'll add a patch to account for whatever i didn't before that caused the odd gait.

You want to manually edit animations?

Go to http://www.blender.org/ download it, download the pre-rigged human model here: http://e2-productions.com/repository/modules/PDdownloads/visit.php?agree=1&lid=376&cid=1
Now, animate it realistically.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:28 am

Already tried animating organisms realistically in Blender. I'm not saying that the player will have to manually edit every Organism motion, evolution would be able evolve them, as in nature.

By your method, every type of gait will have to be programmed to be procedurally done, this sounds a lot like Spore turned out and also seems to limit almost every aspect of the Editor that we have aimed to make the player be able to be alien in.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 7:52 am

GamerXA wrote:
Already tried animating organisms realistically in Blender. I'm not saying that the player will have to manually edit every Organism motion, evolution would be able evolve them, as in nature.

By your method, every type of gait will have to be programmed to be procedurally done, this sounds a lot like Spore turned out and also seems to limit almost every aspect of the Editor that we have aimed to make the player be able to be alien in.
It's not predefining how it would be. It's fixing what problem happened to the procedural animation to make it appear strange.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 2:41 pm

GamerXA wrote:

It's been said before, NOTHING in Spore was procedural. Not all creatures will have the same gait in this game; they'll have the one that makes the ABSOLUTE most sense. I'm happy with what we're going to get.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Spore had a ton of procedurals, they just weren't at the level we need. Bashi's system sounds excellent to me, at least for vertebrates. But we'll work on others later.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:31 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Spore had a ton of procedurals, they just weren't at the level we need. Bashi's system sounds excellent to me, at least for vertebrates. But we'll work on others later.

Oh. I guess it was. But yes, Bashi's system sounds exactly like what we need!
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 2:35 am

Bashi's method should be used for the default gait of terrestrial vertebrates with bilateral symmetrically placed legs that the player solely creates with the Editor. But I still believe that Organisms will have to evolve movement strategies by themselves.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 2:45 am

GamerXA wrote:
Bashi's method should be used for the default gait of terrestrial vertebrates with bilateral symmetrically placed legs that the player solely creates with the Editor. But I still believe that Organisms will have to evolve movement strategies by themselves.

Well, as they evolve, their body form changes, and, in turn, so would their gait.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 2:51 am

We should not attempt to create a procedural algorithm for every possible circumstance that the player may create. Specific gaits are evolved in slight ways to account for specific environments that would be almost impossible to generate by these procedurals. Snakes in the desert for example, raise the center of their body off the ground to reduce contact with the hot soil.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 5:59 am

GamerXA wrote:
We should not attempt to create a procedural algorithm for every possible circumstance that the player may create. Specific gaits are evolved in slight ways to account for specific environments that would be almost impossible to generate by these procedurals. Snakes in the desert for example, raise the center of their body off the ground to reduce contact with the hot soil.
So if we don't do it based on the structure of the organism, how do we do it? Remember that Darwinian Evolution is probably going to be too taxing on a regular computer to recreate in the game, so we can't implement a simple method of movement evolution.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:39 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
GamerXA wrote:
So if we don't do it based on the structure of the organism, how do we do it? Remember that Darwinian Evolution is probably going to be too taxing on a regular computer to recreate in the game, so we can't implement a simple method of movement evolution.
We could let players tweak procedurally generated movements through the animation editor.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:49 pm

~sciocont wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
We could let players tweak procedurally generated movements through the animation editor.
As a player, i don't want to have to create movement animations. And how would the AI tweak itself?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:41 pm

AI could mutate, tweak through natural selection. Player could tweak movements easily as they happen in test mode..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ideas for Movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Movement   Ideas for Movement Empty

Back to top Go down

Ideas for Movement
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next