Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Concept Art Thread

Go down 
+114
Ymedron
timetraveler
Tritium
CardoTheTripodKing
PortalFan1000
MirrorMonkey2
crovea
EVanimations
Evol4fire
Synpho Death
Immortal_Dragon
Totemaster
ThePoisonchocolate
Moterhead97
Pakpuk
PerfectOrganismil
NikolaAnicic007
Botifier
Atrox
Cellular Dinosaur
Inca
MrIdeaMan
TheFellowWithTheHat
AwesomeSiebren
DeanDactyl
Jimexmore
penumbra espinosa
Shafty
Banja
M3rox
Cocogolem
tjblazer85
pentomid
Secondkingstons
Tré Wisemen
DesertBeagle
nziswat
Jiko
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Narnobie123
WJacobC
ExtraSolar
Daniferrito
untrustedlife
RodGame
Nimbal
Monstahart
WilliamstheJohn
HAL-9000
CoolGuyChris
NickTheNick
Oliveriver
Juodvarnis
Thriving Cheese
Hegataro
PandaVirus
Dilophoraptor
decelis93
Rorsten594
Calfeggs
Gawbad
Orygandian2
jaws2blood
PTFace
Brennus
Doggit
uverion
MeowMan1
Zetal
tklarenb
ido66667
lbrewer
BastianKraft
P3DR0PS
Angelic
Liom
Dudeman
Thrivial Pursuit
Mysterious_Calligrapher
ThriveVisitor
Djohaal
andry796
kaosrain
ParadoxJuice
Darkgamma
ThatGuy
fredpie
Poisson
caekdaemon
AssassinBlue
2creator
MassimoV
Tenebrarum
Slathazer
Brown Spotted Kiwi
Gotrol
Albalrogue
eumesmo
Invader
Darkov
roadkillguy
Commander Keen
Partydood
Pezzalis
Waap
Noitulove
The Uteen
S. Scott
DragonEye4
Falthron
~sciocont
GamerXA
US_of_Alaska
ADMIN
118 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Other post all cleaned up and taken care of. No more evidence.

I like the fact that you chose very atypical plants that nonetheless have some direct analogues to earth plants and decomposers (mushrooms, if mushrooms could photosynthesize, and succulents,) since that sort of extrapolation is a great help in beginning to break free of the paradigms of life as we know it here on earth.

Little bit of art criticism: if you could clean up the lines a bit (up the contrast or ink them prior to scanning) they'd be easier to see.
Back to top Go down
Gawbad
Newcomer
Gawbad

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 5:14 pm

I created a deviantART account but I have to wait 3 days before i can post links so i'll do this for now...

This strange tree with it's unique roots that twists around itself, the function of these are for strangling other plants and draining it's nutrients. The 2 sacks contain it's fruit after about 2 weeks of growing they pop open with a loud bang and the fruit drops to the ground which can then be harvested, it also glows blue during the night.

You can find this tree in a forest biome amongst other trees and plants.
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Tree10

This tree can be found in shallow water of an aquatic desert.
The colourful pod at the top is it's defence, when something try's to attack it from the sky it lets off a putrid gas that scares of any flying creature, on the other hand land dwellers won't incounter this problem. It has a large single leaf that absorbs the suns rays to create it's nutrients.
Instead of producing a fruit it creates it's own syrup, simular to Maple syrup it is easily extracted from the strange spike at the lower part of the pod.
It has large spike that prevent things from climbing up and attacking the pod.
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Tree_210

This plant is found in lush jungles.
It stands firm on it's two pointy roots out of shallow water.
The large flower is a bright orange, purple or red colours.
It doesn't produce fruit but can be used a popular decrotive plant to put in the back garden, it creates it's nutrients from the large flower head and needs constant water supply to stay alive.
Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Plant_11

Sorry about the massive post....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gawbad
Gawbad
Newcomer
Gawbad

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 4:23 pm

I've been practicing my rendering on my concept art, this is what i produced today, it's my take on what i would imagine a aquatic desert to look like, this is only for the colouring more then the catogry i'll still work on Plant life
Please let me know if i should continue this for future projects

Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Aquati10
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Lovely, I see you've been having fun with colors.

FYI, there is no such thing as an "aquatic desert" as deserts are defined by their lack of precipitation. However, it could very well be a desert island.
Back to top Go down
Gawbad
Newcomer
Gawbad

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Lovely, I see you've been having fun with colors.

FYI, there is no such thing as an "aquatic desert" as deserts are defined by their lack of precipitation. However, it could very well be a desert island.

Well it could be a beach area, you don't find many plants on beaches so maybe that would be something cool
Back to top Go down
Gawbad
Newcomer
Gawbad

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 4:15 pm

YAY! I can now post external links, so from now on please view my art on my deviantART page.

Here's one I made last night. It's meant to be how I would picture the starting cutscene when you first play the game, I based it on ido66667 idea on the Opening Cutscene thread. Please let me know what you think.

http://gawbad.deviantart.com/#/d5e1dfu
Back to top Go down
Brennus
Newcomer
Brennus

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Hm... looks good.
Back to top Go down
Gawbad
Newcomer
Gawbad

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 5:44 pm

Brennus wrote:
Hm... looks good.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Gawbad
Newcomer
Gawbad

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Sorry I havn't been producing much art the last couple of weeks, but as i've not long started school and been concentrating on that.

But I will certainly still do some concepts, if there's anything that needs doing urgently please let me know, and hopefully I should have some art ASAP.
Back to top Go down
Calfeggs
Newcomer

PostSubject: My dream creature   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Say, I wouldn't be able to make something like this, would I?

https://i.imgur.com/WM6vI.png

The arms have spines, not long bones, and the eyes are 50% night vision, 50% day vision. The tail hooks are for dragging dead prey, and the whiskers are for smelling.

Is it possible>
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 11:54 am

Calfeggs wrote:

The arms have spines, not long bones, and the eyes are 50% night vision, 50% day vision. The tail hooks are for dragging dead prey, and the whiskers are for smelling.

Is it possible>
Yup, it will be entirely possible to create something like that in the Organism Editor.

Now, for [science]!
Your idea for the creature's eyes is intriguing. I'm not sure it would generally be an advantage to an organism to be able to see in the day and the night, because they usually sleep in one of these periods. However, some creatures can use only half of their brain while the other half sleeps (possibly possible due to their relatively low connectivity between the two hemispheres of the brain), thus not needing to 'sleep' as we do for extended periods of time, but generally those are creatures which tend to need to fly/swim for long periods of time, or maybe some species of prey (which must stay alert for predators). I really don't see any reason for a predator to develop such a system; a separation of the hemispheres of the brain surely would be a hinderance in hunting prey, and in addition the overall increased energy expenditure which would accompany a greater time spent in waking would mean a greater amount of time spent hunting would become necessary. If there really is a viable benefit which would make it advantageous for a predator to have such a multiplicity of eyes, despite the fact that this would make its face a much greater weak point in the case of a counter-attack, then I would be delighted to know of it.[/science]

Of course, it's art, so the science doesn't really matter anyway. I just have a habit of looking at all of this concept art from an exobiological viewpoint. As art, it's fine.
Back to top Go down
Calfeggs
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 2:22 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Calfeggs wrote:

Is it possible>
Yup, it will be entirely possible to create something like that in the Organism Editor.

Now, for [science]!
Your idea for the creature's eyes is intriguing. I'm not sure it would generally be an advantage to an organism to be able to see in the day and the night, because they usually sleep in one of these periods. However, some creatures can use only half of their brain while the other half sleeps (possibly possible due to their relatively low connectivity between the two hemispheres of the brain), thus not needing to 'sleep' as we do for extended periods of time, but generally those are creatures which tend to need to fly/swim for long periods of time, or maybe some species of prey (which must stay alert for predators). I really don't see any reason for a predator to develop such a system; a separation of the hemispheres of the brain surely would be a hinderance in hunting prey, and in addition the overall increased energy expenditure which would accompany a greater time spent in waking would mean a greater amount of time spent hunting would become necessary. If there really is a viable benefit which would make it advantageous for a predator to have such a multiplicity of eyes, despite the fact that this would make its face a much greater weak point in the case of a counter-attack, then I would be delighted to know of it.[/science]

Of course, it's art, so the science doesn't really matter anyway. I just have a habit of looking at all of this concept art from an exobiological viewpoint. As art, it's fine.

Thanks for you attention Uteen. I picture these creatures being very active, and sleeping at random times of the day, like cats. So every time they wake up, it may or may not be light out. I also picture their planet having 2-3 moons, which are much bigger than Earth's. So if one eclipses, then it's pitch black for a while. Then also, the creatures will explore caves and the like.

PS: You should be able to pick the DNA structure of your creatures. I picture these having a triple helix DNA, so they evolve and mutate a little faster, and have a larger risk of cancer and the like.

~Calfeggs
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks for you attention Uteen. I picture these creatures being very active, and sleeping at random times of the day, like cats. So every time they wake up, it may or may not be light out. I also picture their planet having 2-3 moons, which are much bigger than Earth's. So if one eclipses, then it's pitch black for a while. Then also, the creatures will explore caves and the like.

PS: You should be able to pick the DNA structure of your creatures. I picture these having a triple helix DNA, so they evolve and mutate a little faster, and have a larger risk of cancer and the like.

~Calfeggs[/quote]
Good reasons, however moons as big as our's (based on what I know) are not especially common around rocky planets. Mars, for example, has two moons, which are just captured asteroids (which would hardly block out the Sun very well), and the planets Mercury and Venus have no moons. A theory for the our moon's formation is that it was produced along with Earth in an interplanetary collision, so producing three large moons in this way, assuming this is the most common method, seems unlikely. There is also the fact that it is likely that multiple large moons would interfere with each other's orbits, until only one remains, due to their relatively small orbital paths. However, this will only apply when (and if) Thrive becomes able to simulate realistic solar system formation, so the likelihood of multiple moons may get a significant boost in the earlier versions of the game.
As a side-note, there is a theory that Venus once gained a moon in the same way as Earth, but lost it in a second collision, so the possibility of a planet our size gaining a single moon may be fairly high.

However, if they explore caves often, different types of eyes for each situation would be pretty helpful. Once they have evolved the eyes, sleeping at random times of day would become a legitimate option, too, making it more likely they will keep the extra eyes once they have them.

As for DNA structure, I don't know whether triple helix DNA is even possible, and don't remember hearing about the idea before, so I can't go into yet another off-topic scientific lecture on that subject, but it has previously been decided, for simplicity, that organisms in Thrive will be Earth-like (i.e. carbon-based, with DNA as opposed to RNA), so I'm afraid that probably won't be included. However, we have planned to include a slider for evolution rate in the options, as well as a difficulty slider, so you'll still have plenty of variety between games, but if you really want to include it, you can feel free to make a thread/poll for the idea.

…Anyway, I'll stop turning the concept art thread into the astronomical debating thread. Back to on-topic discussion!
Back to top Go down
Calfeggs
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 3:50 pm

The Uteen wrote:

~Calfeggs
Good reasons, however moons as big as our's (based on what I know) are not especially common around rocky planets. Mars, for example, has two moons, which are just captured asteroids (which would hardly block out the Sun very well), and the planets Mercury and Venus have no moons. A theory for the our moon's formation is that it was produced along with Earth in an interplanetary collision, so producing three large moons in this way, assuming this is the most common method, seems unlikely. There is also the fact that it is likely that multiple large moons would interfere with each other's orbits, until only one remains, due to their relatively small orbital paths. However, this will only apply when (and if) Thrive becomes able to simulate realistic solar system formation, so the likelihood of multiple moons may get a significant boost in the earlier versions of the game.
As a side-note, there is a theory that Venus once gained a moon in the same way as Earth, but lost it in a second collision, so the possibility of a planet our size gaining a single moon may be fairly high.

However, if they explore caves often, different types of eyes for each situation would be pretty helpful. Once they have evolved the eyes, sleeping at random times of day would become a legitimate option, too, making it more likely they will keep the extra eyes once they have them.

As for DNA structure, I don't know whether triple helix DNA is even possible, and don't remember hearing about the idea before, so I can't go into yet another off-topic scientific lecture on that subject, but it has previously been decided, for simplicity, that organisms in Thrive will be Earth-like (i.e. carbon-based, with DNA as opposed to RNA), so I'm afraid that probably won't be included. However, we have planned to include a slider for evolution rate in the options, as well as a difficulty slider, so you'll still have plenty of variety between games, but if you really want to include it, you can feel free to make a thread/poll for the idea.

…Anyway, I'll stop turning the concept art thread into the astronomical debating thread. Back to on-topic discussion! [/quote]

Okay, thanks!

PS: I'm sure I can find some way to have many moons... maybe they are just smaller.
Back to top Go down
Rorsten594
Newcomer
Rorsten594

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 6:04 pm

i know this seems stupid but how do i post stuff i make because i have a lot of concept art but little knowledge of how to post it
Back to top Go down
Brennus
Newcomer
Brennus

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:42 pm

try to find an image hosting website like servimg or photobucket. On servimg (which is really useful), you will be asked to give them an image from your computer, which they will convert into a URL that can be posted on the forum. Of, failing that, you could set up a deviantART account (assuming you don't already have one), post it there, and then post a link on this thread. Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
Rorsten594
Newcomer
Rorsten594

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Brennus wrote:
try to find an image hosting website like servimg or photobucket. On servimg (which is really useful), you will be asked to give them an image from your computer, which they will convert into a URL that can be posted on the forum. Of, failing that, you could set up a deviantART account (assuming you don't already have one), post it there, and then post a link on this thread. Hope that helps

sadly i can`t get devianart because my parrents said no (i`m still young )
Back to top Go down
Brennus
Newcomer
Brennus

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Can you figure out the other trick I mentioned?
Back to top Go down
decelis93
Newcomer
decelis93

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Spoiler:

hairy-dinosaur-bird sorth of thing
I will draw more concept art for you, give me ideas!!
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 1:37 pm

decelis93 wrote:
Spoiler:

hairy-dinosaur-bird sorth of thing
I will draw more concept art for you, give me ideas!!
If you want stuff to draw, we are currently working on the appearance of microbe stage. I would recommend designing some of the (proto-)cells, which can then be turned into 3D models and used in the game.

The details (including a list of cells, and what other things currently need to be done) can be found here.

EDIT: It seems you have already started designing cells. Still, I recommend focusing on this, so we can get developing models for cell stage.

Last edited by The Uteen on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
decelis93
Newcomer
decelis93

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 1:46 pm

You command, I draw!! (I will visit this place often to draw random stuff)
Back to top Go down
Dilophoraptor
Newcomer
Dilophoraptor

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:23 pm

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/309/8/a/scale_by_diloporaptor-d5k4jou.png

heres some consent art for a scale when free creating
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:13 am

Dilophoraptor wrote:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/309/8/a/scale_by_diloporaptor-d5k4jou.png

heres some consent art for a scale when free creating

i like it
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 10:30 am

Yo Decelis, maybe you could draw like a cell spliting in half, Asexual Reproduction that is.

Or maybe like a background for the microbe menu/stage.

btw My name is Shane, pleased to meet you.
Back to top Go down
decelis93
Newcomer
decelis93

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:06 am

MeowMan1 wrote:
Yo Decelis, maybe you could draw like a cell spliting in half, Asexual Reproduction that is.

Or maybe like a background for the microbe menu/stage.

btw My name is Shane, pleased to meet you.

Pleased to meet you too, shane!
well I'm doing some concept and 2D art on the microve stage progress forum, so I prefer to put the backgrounds in there better.
But the asexual reproduction concept could be posted here, I will star working on it soon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

Concept Art Thread
Page 22 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28 ... 35  Next