Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Unlocking God Mode

Go down 
+17
roadkillguy
maker.of.light
S. Scott
eumesmo
Falthron
Commander Keen
YourBreakfast
GamerXA
DragonEye4
Bashinerox
Waap
The Uteen
Poisson
Invader
~sciocont
Brown Spotted Kiwi
US_of_Alaska
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should God Tools be accessible through other games after unlocking them once?
Yes
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c49%Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 49% [ 18 ]
No
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c35%Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 35% [ 13 ]
Other (post)
Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c16%Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 16% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 37

AuthorMessage
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 9:32 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
How would we create the creatures to populate the world without having them auto-evolve from cells?
Well once we have enough player-made creatures we could use the player-made population idea. Just make sure that the organism matches the planet they spawn on, and it should be right.

I'm sure someone else could come up with some random procedural generation.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 10:27 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
How would we create the creatures to populate the world without having them auto-evolve from cells?
Well once we have enough player-made creatures we could use the player-made population idea. Just make sure that the organism matches the planet they spawn on, and it should be right.

I'm sure someone else could come up with some random procedural generation.

It all depends on just how we create the creature engine. Although, this is getting off topic. The existing thread probably shouldnt be rezzed, so create a new one.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Sorry about that
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 10:12 pm

maker.of.light wrote:
You should do it how they did it in call of duty 4, where theres 20 pieces of intel and even if you find all 20 in your first game you still cant use it untill you win and then you can use it, you should impliment a system like that where theres 30 artifact scattered throughout the galaxy and as you do missions you might be revealed the location of one and every artifact would be guarded. and once you get all 30 you have the option to unlock god mode or continue playing, or you could do the research thing. the artifact idea is cooler though

EDIT: or you could just stumble upon them or go google Thrive Artifact Locations. each way works.

It seems that no-one picked up what I noticed in this post, so I'm just making sure that everything is clear here.
We will not have a pre-made galaxy that is placed exactly the same in each game. Therefore, the part of the above quote I have bolded would be rather impossible. The word in italics should be followed by the word 'randomly' if this were to happen.
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 3:29 am

Me Waap and The Uteen had been discussing combining god powers on the other thread, but I think it would fit better here.

Spoiler:

So basically our concept was that you began with a fixed number of Physical tools and Force tools, and you yourself as a God/Supreme species had to do the research. In combining tools (IE Air [Physical] + Push [Force]) you would unlock a quick-use tool which serves as that combination. In this case, a Wind tool (Click and hold to create wind).

This way the research is done by the player instead of just clicking buttons.

What do you think

Oh and I also had an idea about whether god tools would become avaiable in other games after ascension... (Discuss on the other thread I guess)
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:53 am

I'm not sure on the first idea. I am not a combination type myself, and I'm sure there are plenty of others like me. Give me an option to research those quick tools like any other techs in addition to your original method, and I will be happy.

I certainly hate the second idea though. Having God mode only in God tool created saves would defeat it's point for me. I think that unlike main menu, it should allow you to select position of your save, but nothing more.
Back to top Go down
zotobom
Newcomer
zotobom

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 12:52 pm

Waap wrote:
Some of you might remember the massive war with pro-god mode and anti-god mode people which I believe was on the Evolutions! forums. People were going on about how God Mode would ruin the gameplay for us, because everything would be mega-easy. I actually think that having god mode accessable in any mode(When it's unlocked) might do just that. It might get a tad boring and repetitive if you are constantly swapping between modes because of the loading, but having things just sitting there might be a bit hard for those with lesser wills. Just be careful with this decision, ok?
-Waap.
But....you dont HAVE to use god mode,you just can if you want to....
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
In combining tools (IE Air [Physical] + Push [Force]) you would unlock a quick-use tool which serves as that combination. In this case, a Wind tool (Click and hold to create wind).

'Quick-use tools' is the term I used for a button on a tab for quick access to a commonly-used tool chosen by the player. I want to avoid confusion so could we call that a 'combination tool'?

Here's the rest of the discussion:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 5:29 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
I'm not sure on the first idea. I am not a combination type myself, and I'm sure there are plenty of others like me. Give me an option to research those quick tools like any other techs in addition to your original method, and I will be happy.

I certainly hate the second idea though. Having God mode only in God tool created saves would defeat it's point for me. I think that unlike main menu, it should allow you to select position of your save, but nothing more.

@Uteen: Ahh yes thanks for that

Perhaps the research could be called Omniscience... Unlocks all combination tool
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:40 pm

I don't think conbos are really needed. You could make whatever you want with God tools anyway.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 am

~sciocont wrote:
I don't think conbos are really needed. You could make whatever you want with God tools anyway.

Not needed, but as I said before...

The Uteen wrote:
I like the idea of combining tools, it makes things simpler, and means you can discover new combinations, encouraging more use and experimentation! Creative and cool!

And if you don't want to experiment and discover you always have the Omniscience.

Last edited by The Uteen on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 5:18 pm

The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

[quote=The Uteen]I like the idea of combining tools, it makes things simpler, and means you can discover new combinations, encouraging more use and experimentation! Creative and cool!

And if you don't want to experiment and discover you always have the Omniscience. [/quote]
But it won't allow people to do anything they normally couldn't. They could just use two tools and get a better-looking result.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 1:03 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

The Uteen wrote:
I like the idea of combining tools, it makes things simpler, and means you can discover new combinations, encouraging more use and experimentation! Creative and cool!

And if you don't want to experiment and discover you always have the Omniscience.
But it won't allow people to do anything they normally couldn't. They could just use two tools and get a better-looking result.

Could you explain?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:55 pm

The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

The Uteen wrote:

Could you explain?
Whayt i'm saying is that by combining tools, the result will be a tool that is less universally useful than the original ones, with a lower degree of precision.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 4:40 am

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

The Uteen wrote:

Could you explain?
Whayt i'm saying is that by combining tools, the result will be a tool that is less universally useful than the original ones, with a lower degree of precision.

But every time you want a volcano you want want to use each of these tools, just have one, and if you're planning to do that you want necessarily want precision, volcanos are not precise things.

Wait, you have a point. You can't control the (magma pressure:size of bump on crust) ratio unless you use the individual tools... Still, some people might not be bothered.

So if you want to be precise use the primary tools, if you aren't especially bothered what you kill with your volcano or something use the combination tool.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 5:41 am

Are the combinations going to be a premade combination, or a single button equivalent of pressing two buttons at the same time that will be designated by the player?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 2:57 pm

GamerXA wrote:
Are the combinations going to be a premade combination, or a single button equivalent of pressing two buttons at the same time that will be designated by the player?

Probably the second, although in some the combination could involve one being done after the other.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Ok, please explain
-how these combinations are helpful
-how they will be better than single tools
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 5:31 am

The single tools would be simpler. They would be things like heat up, lift, drag, etc.
The combined tools would be more complicated like... I haven't had much sleep. It seems I need help finishing the sentence.
But yeah.
-Waap.
EDIT: There was an example with wind tool. Should be easy to find.
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 9:46 am

well, i think we don't need to combine em to make new ones, we could have em already
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 10:55 am

eumesmo wrote:
well, i think we don't need to combine em to make new ones, we could have em already

I'm overusing this quote...Yes, we don't need to have this, but...

The Uteen wrote:

@Waap
Pezzalis wrote:
IE. (Vaguely)

Raise Terrain + Raise Terrain + Water = Mountain Tool
Mountain + Rain = River Tool
Lower Terrain + Lower Terrain= Mantle Vent
Mountain + Mantle vent = Volcano Tool
Mountain + Mountain = Mountain Range Tool
Magma Vent + Air = Lava tool
Lava + Water = Rock tool
Rock + Water = Sand tool
These were the suggestions for combination tools... Not sure about the water in mountain, mountains don't need water, but the rest are great!

And a suggestions:
  • Lower terrain + Rain = Lake
  • Lake + Lake = Ocean
  • Rain + Mountain = Erosion
  • Erosion + Mountain = Cliff
  • River + Cliff = Waterfall
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 12:35 am

Some of the combinations could use water tool instead of rain tool.
Any ideas on how to make a star tool?
You'd probably use a gravity well...

Anyway, Yes. Combining tools is better because

The Uteen wrote:

Yay for copy/paste!

Think of it in this way:
Why isn't the planet perfect? Because perfection is boring, therefore making whatever was perfect imperfect.
There needs to be room for improvement, so you can have that feeling of accomplishment. It's fun to learn and discover, and it raises your self esteem when you accomplish things!

Do you get?
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Nice argument, Waap.

Making a star would be... Air tool on a big scale, make a big cloud in space of air composed almost entirely of hydrogen (assuming you can change air tool's air composition, you should be able to)... Gravity well to form faster, but not necessary, because the cloud's gravity would clump it to form a star anyway, it would just take longer.

Of course, there will be a star tool as well if you want one instantly: Air + Time Acceleration (in a certain area of space) Tool (Used in space... If you use it on a planet, it would probably make it a gas giant, use it too much and the planet becomes the center of a star.

In a way, it's three tools in one: Use it for a gas giant, continue using it to accumulate mass until it becomes hot plasma under intense pressure forming a star. The final use for it is the destruction part, making a planet the center of a star, destroying it completely and brutally, or at least seriously increasing atmospheric pressure for the inhabitants.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 2:55 pm

we could make gas giants and stars the same way, the amount of gases would change preventing it to get to critical mass
Back to top Go down
specialk2121
Newcomer
specialk2121

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 12:55 pm

i think God Tools should be unlocked piece by piece by using giant machines. Each on uses a large amount of energy to use. Then after ascension you unlock all tools and they require no energy to use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking God Mode   Unlocking God Mode - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Unlocking God Mode
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next