Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
models and textures project - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

models and textures project

Go down 
+19
Falthron
Deathtrooper
crovea
EVanimations
Emd4600
Thriving Cheese
NickTheNick
Theslimy
Rorsten594
Gawbad
Doggit
P3DR0PS
HellKnightDan
Admiral Van Tromp
Tenebrarum
~sciocont
roadkillguy
lbrewer
ido66667
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

models and textures project - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 6:55 am

Thriving cheese is no longer art team lead? Anyway, maybe the concept art thread should be used more for sketches of models and such as now it's full of aliens and spaceships which is not bad but these things will be created by the players ingame. I was wondering what models will be needed for the microbe stages environment-sand particles, fibers or bacteria don't know if the matter is discussed and the models for the organelles are looking great so far but some concept pics with different variants and colors was going to give some good feedback.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 2:49 am

He still is, but he hasn't shown up for a while, and now is an important time for art assets. I do agree that the concept art thread needs to get more focused. It has turned more into a "fan-art" thread (with some exceptions), whereas it should be a specific thread for people who can't digitally model or texture to instead create images for modellers and coders to work off of.

I can think of some changes I could make to the mess of art threads we have in the Graphics subforum to organize things into two main threads and organize the contributions. However, I will not be able to do it until the weekend. Basically, the concept art thread is used to plan what each new batch of models will look like, and then there will be a main art asset thread for all the game's stages. Then I think these multitude of other threads could be archived to prevent confusion.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 12:46 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
The problem is, we don't have a dedicated art team lead, and so this field is quite disorganized. We lack a definitive list of what we need and don't need for the entire game.
NickTheNick wrote:
He still is, but he hasn't shown up for a while, and now is an important time for art assets.
Hi, folks! I'm showing up again to get dedicated again and organize stuff (ein list etc.) and such.

Last edited by Thriving Cheese on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 1:51 pm

I'll quote what I said on my reintroduction thread.

"As far as 3D models I've looked at the fairly neglected graphics part of the forum. Unfortunately most of that content is far, far away I would imagine. But looking at the new cell stage animation, I imagine I could cook up some organelles fairly easily. The shapes used are fairly simple, so if that's what you feel you need I'll happily work on it. But before I go further with that I need to ask you what file you are looking for. I've taught myself how to use the programs Autodesk Maya (I own the student version) and Lightwave (I'm taking a course on it). But if you need me to use Blender to avoid legal drama, I would need to play around with it a bit before I can figure out how to use the tool. I would prefer to use Maya but that's up to what you decide would be the better program."
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Falthron wrote:

The shapes used are fairly simple, so if that's what you feel you need I'll happily work on it.
Don't let the current state stop you from creating more detailed content. Just keep in mind that a single organelle usually won't be that big on screen, so some details may be lost in the game.

Falthron wrote:

But before I go further with that I need to ask you what file you are looking for.
Probably the most important thing is that the tool of your choice can export to Ogre meshes. For Maya, this might do the job. As I understand it, it would be fairly uncommon that multiple people work on one model, so I don't think it's too important to use Blender or other freely available tools. Still, it would be nice of you to also make the original Maya files available so that if minor tweaks are necessary in the future, we only need someone with the right software license.

With any luck, I'll be able to set up a pipeline for art assets this weekend. I'll have more information on how to share the content and how to get it into the game then.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Rewelcome then Falthron, You don't really need any special program as long as your proggram can export to one of the following file types; Blender (.blend), Collada (.dae), Scalable Vector Graphics (.svg), Skeleton Mesh (.psk), Skeleton Anim (.psa), Stanford (.ply), Stl (.stl), 3d studio (.3ds), Wavefront (.obj), X3D Extensible 3D (.x3d/.wrl), or Ogre.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 5:21 am

Also, Falthron, check out the new Art Assets thread, we are going to try and form an art team there to start to get to work on modelling, texturing, and the like.
Back to top Go down
Falthron
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Thank you both. As far as detailed content goes, I think we should stick with models exclusively for cell stage. That's the one that is in desperate need of being finished.
Back to top Go down
timetraveler
Newcomer
timetraveler

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 6:00 pm

I know how to use maya, blender, and photoshop. Can I be of service to you?
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:24 pm

timetraveler we need every skill you've got, check the Art Assets thred even if something is done you can think of a way to improve it. The team leads are still discussing what is needed i think but everything you make will be of help.

Last edited by Tritium on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 4:08 am

@Timetraveler: We'll manage what art assets that needs to be done using GitHub
Nimbal wrote:

1. Someone identifies an asset that is required, say, a 3D model for an organelle.
  2. They create a new issue at GitHub that describes how the model should look, animations it should have, and so on.
  3. Modellers in search for something to do check the issue list. I've added labels for "programming", "modelling" and "sound" to help the respective contributors find suitable tasks.
  4. If a modeller is interested in the issue, they leave a short comment indicating that they started working on it. All contributors should check the comments for an issue to make sure that nobody else is working on it already.
  5. A repository maintainer can assign the issue to the modeller. This helps in identifying orphan issues in the issue list, as assigned issues show up with the icon of their assignee.
  6. The comment section for the issue can also be used for discussing the task, asking for clarification, etc.
  7. Once the asset is done and uploaded into the asset repository, the issue can be closed.
Although, currently there's no tasks on there, were to disscuss what needs to be done at le art assets thread.
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 6:27 am

A task has been added on github for creating models for compounds for the christmas prototype!
Github issue
Back to top Go down
timetraveler
Newcomer
timetraveler

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Thank you all! I'll see what I can do over my spare time.
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 6:46 pm

A'ight. I'm following now.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: models and textures project   models and textures project - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

models and textures project
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next