Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+93
JoseAAV
Disastericks
Secondkingstons
EnergyKnife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Jimexmore
Grimm Reaper
Atrox
Xazo-Tak
HariboTer
Naevius
jay sheddan
Im a Peanut
Tritium
Tarpy
Narnobie123
Gawbad
Nimbal
Thriving Cheese
WJacobC
FunnyGames
PerfectOrganismil
TheSmart_1
Dilophoraptor
untrustedlife
BioMike
energypro
RodGame
protoast
Cobalt58
jman12351
Sundu
ExtraSolar
Dumb_person69
spacetime_dinosaur
Oliveriver
Calfeggs
NikolaAnicic007
MitochondriaBox
Tré Wisemen
SmartGenius
ComradeDoc
THRIVE
thrivepedia
beachbum111111
WilliamstheJohn
ingaborgasaurus
Raptorstorm
alduin2013
decelis93
Noone
gvd72
Jopetsu
Daniferrito
M3rox
Rorsten594
roadkillguy
Silver Sterling
Carnifex
Seregon
PREDAL1ENWARRIOR
GamerXA
Brennus
nziswat
PHILmg
NickTheNick
wwewar
ethroptur
Orygandian2
penumbra espinosa
Pezzalis
zippybomb
jmc-24
Holomanga
MeowMan1
Kraeken
Crimsonspawn
Hegataro
Theusfilipe
PTFace
Doggit
Sgt. Lost Time
US_of_Alaska
Admiral Van Tromp
ido66667
D4RK_VOID
bill2505
Dr_Chillgood
Tenebrarum
Army-Lion
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
The Uteen
97 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:12 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Also, an example of auto-evo used in the wiki is that of a snake and its prey. If the prey evolves a poison, the snake evolves either to become resistant to that poison or some random mutation. How poison defined? Are all toxins grouped together as simply "poison", and becoming resistant to one means becoming resistant to all? Or is poison a compound? Will there be different types of poison so that becoming resistant to one does not mean becoming resistant to all?
We haven't discussed poisons much (or possibly at all) since the creation of the compounds system, so we don't have any up-to-date concepts for it. I think they could simply be different compounds which have effects when combined with the presence of certain traits in the consumer.

NickTheNick wrote:
On the topic of compounds, Roadkill once mentioned that an organism should be able to eat anything it likes, its just that the type of stomach the organism has determines which compounds within that object can be digested. The rest of the compounds come out as waste/excrement. I mostly agree with this idea. However, I think that the type of mouth should determine what can be eaten. Certain mouths can eat plant matter, others can eat plant matter and meat. Lastly, I also think based off of what organs you have, there are certain compounds that are toxic to you, aka "poisons" as I mentioned above. So the question is, how does an organism's mouth, stomach, and other organs determine what it can eat, what it can't eat, what it can and can't digest, and what is toxic to it.
on eat(food)
 if food is compound 17 and mouth of organism is mouth 3 then die
end eat

That's the simplest method of doing it - lots and lots of ifs. (But obviously not written in Applescript)

NickTheNick wrote:
EDIT: Please read the below!!!
Spoiler:

Last edited by The Uteen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 12:52 am

Daniferrito wrote:
Normal copyright lasts from 50 to 100 years after the autor death. You can see a table here. However, i believe national anthems are free to use. We need to look at each song individually.

However, i dont think we should use national anthems. Maybe something inspired in them, but not exactly them, as controversy about our use could arise.
QFT.
Marches aren't that hard to write. John Phillip Sousa practically defecated marches. Use anything he wrote for inspiration for capitalist/interventionist/whatever applies to 1900s america nations.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:59 pm

How would Auto-Evo by the CPU recognize when to mutate an organism in response to attracting mates. From what I understand, the computer's view is purely utilitarian, and so how would large frills and displays like those seen on peacocks or other animals evolve?

And while i'm at it, since no one answered this question I am going to re-post it.

NickTheNick wrote:
There are many features that we wanted to include but are now cut from the concept. Are we going to model the game's engine in such a way that we can come back later and add these in once we have more time to focus on them? For example, are we going to model the engine in such a way that we wont have caves or continental shift now, but we can come back and add it in later? Or is this too much work to be practical?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Phisical features to attract mates are tied to individual species. Maybe we can add some random chance of the species requiring some random feature to be boosted, like longer tails (or bigger breasts). That extra feature can be bad or good for the creature, that is trivial, and boosting the feature will directly boost natality.

That is just a random and arbitrary idea to be able to add such an arbitrary feature. However, i think it is still a good feature to implement, ant it wont be too hard to do so. If some part was hard to understaund, please ask and i will rephrase it to clarify it a bit more.

About features to add eventually, dont worry. Nearly everithing can be implemented eventually. However, if we are thinking about it when coding the parts related to it, we can make it easier to implement later.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Ahh great to hear.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 11:19 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
How would Auto-Evo by the CPU recognize when to mutate an organism in response to attracting mates. From what I understand, the computer's view is purely utilitarian, and so how would large frills and displays like those seen on peacocks or other animals evolve?

And while i'm at it, since no one answered this question I am going to re-post it.

NickTheNick wrote:
There are many features that we wanted to include but are now cut from the concept. Are we going to model the game's engine in such a way that we can come back later and add these in once we have more time to focus on them? For example, are we going to model the engine in such a way that we wont have caves or continental shift now, but we can come back and add it in later? Or is this too much work to be practical?
We're going to write it how we can write it, so I really don't have an answer to the nested question.
Remember that we overlook individual mutation in auto-evo. Mutations are considered to always be beneficial and are given to every member of a species at once. Any mutation that has no positive effect, or has a slight negative effect but is chosen anyway can be construed as a sexual characteristic. We can figure out how to work in sexual characteristics more fluidly later. Right now environmentally adaptive mutations are far more important to us.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Actually, I found an idea for that. A post by Waap a long time ago said that the player could designate what attracts mates for the species in the behaviour editor. Then through sexual selection that/those traits would be magnified. However, this wouldn't be able to apply to AI species, and I imagine it would be challenging to specifically define how to "designate what attracts mates" in terms of code.
Back to top Go down
beachbum111111

PostSubject: Multiplayer?   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 1:59 am

Will thrive have online multiplayer? The thing that bugged me with spore is that it had no online multiplayer. You don't really need an authentication server either people could just connect directly through your IP.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:43 am

I moved this post from the progress report to this thread because it really did not belong there. People need to stop using it as a questions on Thrive thread.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 9:12 am

beachbum111111 wrote:
Will thrive have online multiplayer? The thing that bugged me with spore is that it had no online multiplayer. You don't really need an authentication server either people could just connect directly through your IP.
Even with people connecting directly, setting up a system to allow the game to handle multiple players would be a lot of work. This would only be something to consider after the main game is complete, and most of what we want to include had been added.
Back to top Go down
thrivepedia

thrivepedia

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 pm

sorry if you already covered this but, is there going to be something like a thrivepedia where you can see other creations and download them. kind of like sporepedia
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 2:06 pm

thrivepedia wrote:
sorry if you already covered this but, is there going to be something like a thrivepedia where you can see other creations and download them. kind of like sporepedia
Thrive Content Library
Back to top Go down
THRIVE
Newcomer
THRIVE

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Are we still going to be able to create our own planet at the start of the game??Wich i believe you get to choose any planet you want in the galaxy.Then you go on to microbe stage and etc.??is this true or false?
Back to top Go down
THRIVE
Newcomer
THRIVE

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Also once your done with microbe stage and you choose to be a underwater creature can that creature eventualy evolve to get lungs to and come on land?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:28 pm

THRIVE wrote:
Are we still going to be able to create our own planet at the start of the game??Wich i believe you get to choose any planet you want in the galaxy.Then you go on to microbe stage and etc.??is this true or false?
Not during any release in the near future.
Back to top Go down
ComradeDoc
Newcomer
ComradeDoc

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 1:57 am

Hey guys, I'm wondering if you would need a sand background or what backgrounds you do need?If so, what scale would the sand need to be?The reason I ask is my girlfriend may be able to make some for you guys and we're wanting to know what you guys need.I'll give you guys the background once its finished and you could see if it'd be usable.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm not sure what we need exactly, but Scio has already made a rocky/muddy background texture in the Microbe Models/Images/Textures thread. If you make it something like that, but for an area such as an ocean bed or near a geothermal vent, it should be okay. Also, I recommend posting the result in the thread I mentioned rather than here, for organisation.

To save time, I'll repost Scio's image in this thread:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
ComradeDoc
Newcomer
ComradeDoc

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks, also what scale does it need to be?Like if she uses something like sand how big do the grains need to be?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 pm

The artists Scio should be able to answer that, if it matters at this stage.

The Scio, you're needed over here!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:50 pm

ComradeDoc wrote:
Thanks, also what scale does it need to be?Like if she uses something like sand how big do the grains need to be?
I think needs to be zoomed in by about 200.
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:21 pm

I need to know (for the music) if it is necessary differentiate between the far-right movements in nationalism, nazi, fascist and autocratic, or make only the movement autocratic.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 am

Doggit wrote:
I need to know (for the music) if it is necessary differentiate between the far-right movements in nationalism, nazi, fascist and autocratic, or make only the movement autocratic.

I personally think you should just make a general music for far right movements.

P.S.
It is not advised to talk about Nazism to avoid accidentally invoking Goodwin’s law.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm

ido66667 wrote:
P.S.
It is not advised to talk about Nazism to avoid accidentally invoking Goodwin’s law.

Goodwin's Law is self contradictory. From what I understand it is meant to make people aware of overusing Nazi references, but in reality it just makes some so scared of invoking the law that they don't even use the references in appropriate cases.

Plus, his use of the word wasn't in that context, so the law doesn't apply.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
ido66667 wrote:
P.S.

Goodwin's Law is self contradictory. From what I understand it is meant to make people aware of overusing Nazi references, but in reality it just makes some so scared of invoking the law that they don't even use the references in appropriate cases.

Plus, his use of the word wasn't in that context, so the law doesn't apply.
The law simply states that as postcount on a threaded discussion increases, the likelihood of a holocaust reference approaches 1/1. We've just done so, thus evidencing the maxim.
Interestingly, this logic can be applied to any topic- as postcount approaches infinity, likelihood of any topic or possible post approaches 1. Godwin's law's idea however is that the holocaust is more likely to be referenced than any other arbitrary topic because of its prevalence in the modern mindset, and the tendency of arguments to quickly ascent in intensity on the internet.
We can learn from Godwin's law (though realize it is not strictly a "law" in he scientific sense) is that Hitler, Nazism and the holocaust are still regarded as absolute atrocities by most people, which in a way is quite reassuring. Though the pettiness of allusions to them in simple arguments cannot be overstated, their importance and meaning in the mind of the general public is as it should be. People realize that the holocaust was an unsurpassed tragedy, and it is the absolute worst thing they can imagine. This restores some of my faith in humanity.
[/ot]
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 pm

~sciocont wrote:
This restores some of my faith in humanity.[/ot]

Agreed, and very eloquently put as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 19 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next