Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Microbe Models/Images/Textures

Go down 
+28
Nimbal
Tritium
Naevius
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
EnergyKnife
Oliveriver
NikolaAnicic007
Xazo-Tak
MeowMan1
JackOfSpades
Theusfilipe
silkroadgame
FunnyGames
untrustedlife
RodGame
WilliamstheJohn
ICEF1SCH
tentacleface762
GravityGames
Raptorstorm
Tré Wisemen
Exrudius
P3DR0PS
The Uteen
Daniferrito
Thriving Cheese
~sciocont
NickTheNick
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 1:06 pm

~sciocont wrote:
-Symmetry options+ Symmetry GUI elements (I'm not quite sure how we could handle double axis (four-fold) symmetry unless you mean Hexagonal (six-fold) symmetry but with one axis subtracted, making it a sort of pseudo hexagonal symmetry.

It would be sort of like this:

Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Symmet10

The first one has no symmetry, the next has two-fold symmetry, the third four-fold and the last one six-fold. I just added the colours to the hexagons to make them more distinguishable.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
Ok, I have some compounds/icons to show.
Spoiler:
These are all 100x100 .png images and will necessarily appear much smaller ingame.

Last edited by ~sciocont on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EnergyKnife
Newcomer
EnergyKnife

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 9:31 pm

I was able to find some good backgrounds for the microbe stage that are public domain.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 12:09 am

~sciocont wrote:
Spoiler:
These are all 100x100 .png images and will necessarily appear much smaller ingame.

Wow, those all look of professional quality! I think the "fat" one looks a bit odd, however. What decided the shapes for each variable?

@EnergyKnife

All of those need to be coloured and would tile poorly. Also, they are very noisy for backgrounds. Preferably there should be few objects in the background to take attention away from the foreground and midground.
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 8:32 am

With the help of a little Photoshop, these could possibly be little objects you could end up bumping into, I think;
Spoiler:

I don't know, just thinking with my fingers here...
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 12:27 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Spoiler:

Wow, those all look of professional quality! I think the "fat" one looks a bit odd, however. What decided the shapes for each variable?

@EnergyKnife

All of those need to be coloured and would tile poorly. Also, they are very noisy for backgrounds. Preferably there should be few objects in the background to take attention away from the foreground and midground.
I think I will redesign the "fat" one into something more globular. the shapes were largely determined by the actual chemical shape/ Also, I have to redesign the Agents so that they reflect what organelle they target, but that will have to wait until someone (probably me) makes all of the organelle sprites.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Those look really nice, but I don't know how they would be made with the cell editor. At the moment the cells made are two-dimensional.
Back to top Go down
Naevius
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 7:06 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Ok, let's talk GUI for a moment. On the Building Microbe Stage thread, Oliveriver posted a fantastic demo of a GUI concept for the cell editor. I loved it, but it did include some unnecessary buttons and whatnot, so I decided to take a crack at adapting it. The Editor GUI is going to be fairly important in terms of setting the visual style of the game, so I think we should settle on it fairly soon. I want input from artists and programmers here, because we need to have a GUI that is not only good-looking, but possible to implement- I know there have been problems in the past implementing a shatter-style button setup, so I want everything to be optimized here before we have problems putting it in the game.

Here's my crack at it.
Spoiler:
That version is using only tiles to represent the microbe and its organelles. The next one uses tiles and sprites.
Spoiler:
Finally, the finished product.
Spoiler:
The GUI functions would be exactly like those of Oliveriver's prototype- when tabs are selected, they expand to show the parts or functions that that editing mode contains.
Go ahead, start discussing the GUI. I want a final editor GUI design and sprites+hex block arrangements for organelles ready by the end of the month.

That looks completely boss, ~sciocont.

Okay, that's all I wanted to say. Back to lurking for me. Good luck, gentlemen!
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Scio, might I ask, what program(s) did you use to make that concept art?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 12:49 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Scio, might I ask, what program(s) did you use to make that concept art?
Just GIMP. 2.8 is a huge improvement over 2.7
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 12:56 pm

That is indeed a great GUI but do you guys really wanna leave the grid visible? Doesn't it look kinda awkward like you are looking at a motherboard or something. I was thinking about almost or completely invisible grid and instead of highlighting a cell of the grid playing a gif-like image on a cell (don't know if that is like sprites the art team is talking about or not) representing the cytoskeleton in a way.
Made a quick sketch with paint
[img]Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Grid10[/img]

And i wont lie i've copied the idea from this pretty electron microscope pictures in google
http://www.bionalogy.com/images/cytoskeleton2.jpg
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 pm

I prefer having a semi-transparent hex grid to be able to tell where all the tiles are without having to estimate, and plus it looks nice with the rest of the interface. Bear in mind that the hex grid is solely for the editor.

I would also be fine with having an option in the editor to toggle the grid on and off.
Back to top Go down
P3DR0PS
Newcomer
P3DR0PS

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 7:43 pm

NickTheNick, what about a transparent grid, that show up when you pass the mouse over??? like in sim city 4, where the grid is completely visible where the mouse is, and get more transparent till the borders, where it gets totally invisible...

Or maybe you can select 3 options like, show, hide and semi, or something like this...
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 8:31 pm

I don't know I would have to see what it looks like, but it sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
P3DR0PS
Newcomer
P3DR0PS

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 8:57 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
I don't know I would have to see what it looks like, but it sounds interesting.

something like this...
go to 1:06...
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Yes, I know, I have played a lot of Sim city before. What I meant was that I would have to see what it would look like in Thrive to be able to make a better decision.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
I prefer having a semi-transparent hex grid to be able to tell where all the tiles are without having to estimate, and plus it looks nice with the rest of the interface. Bear in mind that the hex grid is solely for the editor.

I would also be fine with having an option in the editor to toggle the grid on and off.

QFT

P3DR0PS wrote:
NickTheNick, what about a transparent grid, that show up when you pass the mouse over??? like in sim city 4, where the grid is completely visible where the mouse is, and get more transparent till the borders, where it gets totally invisible...

Or maybe you can select 3 options like, show, hide and semi, or something like this...

I do like this idea, although symmetry options may make it basically irrelevant. For instance, if you have 6-fold symmetry turned on and are placing cell area/an organelle, you're going to have all the central hexagons highlighted anyway, and moving further away will only result in some of the central hexes fading away. Without testing we can't say which is truly better, although I'd prefer a permanent hex grid for shape and organelle editing (other editing modes may not need it).
Back to top Go down
P3DR0PS
Newcomer
P3DR0PS

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
I do like this idea, although symmetry options may make it basically irrelevant. For instance, if you have 6-fold symmetry turned on and are placing cell area/an organelle, you're going to have all the central hexagons highlighted anyway, and moving further away will only result in some of the central hexes fading away. Without testing we can't say which is truly better, although I'd prefer a permanent hex grid for shape and organelle editing (other editing modes may not need it).

thinking now that you said, it's true, we don't actually know how it would looks like, but anyway there is not enough space to use this...
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

Not much discussion is going on here and the topic is important, where is the art-team GUI needs artists right?
Btw how is 3D cell gonna be generated from that 2D grid?
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 12:09 pm

Tritium wrote:
Btw how is 3D cell gonna be generated from that 2D grid?

See here for an untested algorithm.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Tritium wrote:
Not much discussion is going on here and the topic is important, where is the art-team GUI needs artists right?
What needs to be shown in the in-game GUI for the microbe phase/stage?
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 12:46 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Ok, let's talk GUI for a moment. On the Building Microbe Stage thread, Oliveriver posted a fantastic demo of a GUI concept for the cell editor. I loved it, but it did include some unnecessary buttons and whatnot, so I decided to take a crack at adapting it. The Editor GUI is going to be fairly important in terms of setting the visual style of the game, so I think we should settle on it fairly soon. I want input from artists and programmers here, because we need to have a GUI that is not only good-looking, but possible to implement- I know there have been problems in the past implementing a shatter-style button setup, so I want everything to be optimized here before we have problems putting it in the game.

Here's my crack at it.
Spoiler:
That version is using only tiles to represent the microbe and its organelles. The next one uses tiles and sprites.
Spoiler:
Finally, the finished product.
Spoiler:
The GUI functions would be exactly like those of Oliveriver's prototype- when tabs are selected, they expand to show the parts or functions that that editing mode contains.
Go ahead, start discussing the GUI. I want a final editor GUI design and sprites+hex block arrangements for organelles ready by the end of the month.

OMG YES!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Thriving Cheese wrote:
Tritium wrote:
Not much, really. The GUI should be minimal, so it would be best just to have a pause screen menu.

Ok, we need to settle on silhouettes for organelles. These are important because organelles cannot overlap, and making your cell larger is expensive, so each organelle's shape and size need to counter its usefulness.
Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Cellsp11
Here's some ideas.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 1:07 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Ok, we need to settle on silhouettes for organelles. These are important because organelles cannot overlap, and making your cell larger is expensive, so each organelle's shape and size need to counter its usefulness.
Here's some ideas.
Just a note; I think the chloroplast should just be 2 tiles, acording to the pictures you get when you searches for "chlororplast" on Google pictures.
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 1:32 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Thriving Cheese wrote:
Tritium wrote:

Not much, really. The GUI should be minimal, so it would be best just to have a pause screen menu.

Here's some ideas.

Looking at that reminds me of something I was going to say a couple of days ago but forgot - how are we going to handle rotating organelles in the editor? In your editor concept, you had several of the same organelles but oriented differently. How are we going to allow the player to turn an organelle? It may be as simple as having them press a button while moving the cursor to keep part of an organelle locked in place while the rest rotates around it.

Staying on topic, I too think the chloroplast may be better as two hexagons. All the others look perfect, in my opinion.

Last edited by Oliveriver on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Models/Images/Textures   Microbe Models/Images/Textures - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Microbe Models/Images/Textures
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next