Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Microbe Stage Final Draft

Go down 
+34
Daniferrito
D4RK_VOID
WilliamstheJohn
Gawbad
Rorsten594
HellKnightDan
mrghostly12321
NickTheNick
GreatGranpapy
zippybomb
uverion
Pyrotin
Doggit
MeowMan1
Theusfilipe
jmc-24
Sgt. Lost Time
Theslimy
Crimsonspawn
Holomanga
penumbra espinosa
The Uteen
Commander Keen
jaysongg071997
Admiral Van Tromp
guitar999111
US_of_Alaska
Seregon
Pezzalis
BastianKraft
roadkillguy
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
Tenebrarum
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Cell Phase Progress   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySat May 26, 2012 1:31 pm

This Topic is about the Progression and working of the current Cell Phase prototype, and the future one(s).
If You would like to make Your own version, and let The community test it out, to give good criticism and results, and especially whether they liked it or not, please post a link to it here on this topic. We can also discuss the stage some more, to get into more detail about the Cell Phase.
This topic was posted by: Shane, AKA MeowMan1. Thanks Guys, and I hope to have some comments on this topic soon.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySat May 26, 2012 5:16 pm

I wanted to make a topic after having the AI done, but since you made this post I won't leave you waiting.

I have been working on the prototype for some time now. So far, it has cells with various properties (but no organs). The properties are all absolutely random, except for mass wich is equal to volume. Each cell falls under a type wich determines it's attributes. Collision detection works, meaning you can push smaller cells around and bounce off larger cells.

The AI isn't there yet, meaning other cells don't do anything yet. I plan to implement some simple AI first and then finally start accepting your feedback and add features you want to see.

Screenie time:

Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Thrivecellstage

Note: Please DON'T post or link this on any other site! This thing is very basic and wouldn't make a good impression on anyone outside the team.

Download link here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54710394/Thrive_Cellstage_26_5_2012.rar

I have compiled it under Windows XP 32-bit, so there might be trouble using it on OS. Just try it and report if there's a bug.
Back to top Go down
Theslimy
Newcomer
Theslimy

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySat May 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Coolio! i would love to see it once you finish AI!
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySat May 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
I wanted to make a topic after having the AI done, but since you made this post I won't leave you waiting.

I have been working on the prototype for some time now. So far, it has cells with various properties (but no organs). The properties are all absolutely random, except for mass wich is equal to volume. Each cell falls under a type wich determines it's attributes. Collision detection works, meaning you can push smaller cells around and bounce off larger cells.

The AI isn't there yet, meaning other cells don't do anything yet. I plan to implement some simple AI first and then finally start accepting your feedback and add features you want to see.

Screenie time:

Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Thrivecellstage

Note: Please DON'T post or link this on any other site! This thing is very basic and wouldn't make a good impression on anyone outside the team.

Download link here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54710394/Thrive_Cellstage_26_5_2012.rar

I have compiled it under Windows XP 32-bit, so there might be trouble using it on OS. Just try it and report if there's a bug.

compliments good job
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySat May 26, 2012 8:54 pm

To anyone who can't control the cell use W to move were the mouse is pointed. I prefer the classic WASD but it is you call, that way to control is nice and rather easy after a few seconds.

Also i know that background looks great but will it be on the final game? Or are the bubbles going to be animated?

This post is starting to sound like I am a complaining douche but I liked this prototype, I opened 50 times and it didn't crashed nor made the same cells any times. I can imagine how it will work with a AI and the sound put together.
Commander you made my day.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySat May 26, 2012 9:09 pm

I would a green backround btw. Sorry I cannot test this out at the moment because winzip is all dumb and stuff. But, for the final, here are My planss and prefferences: again, a green, primordial soup backround similar to the spore beta backround for cell stage, good AI, cells that actually wander, enemy viruses, bateria, ect. that try to kill Your cell, good cell editing, weapons, details, paintjobs, and graphics. Ofcourse this sounds like a lot, but if Spore did it, so can we. I have no technical skills, so I will be a tester simply, to give response and constructive criticism.
Good job commander, and ThankYou all for helping me bring this subject back to life-With Thanks, Shane.
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySat May 26, 2012 11:23 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
I would a green backround btw. Sorry I cannot test this out at the moment because winzip is all dumb and stuff. But, for the final, here are My planss and prefferences: again, a green, primordial soup backround similar to the spore beta backround for cell stage, good AI, cells that actually wander, enemy viruses, bateria, ect. that try to kill Your cell, good cell editing, weapons, details, paintjobs, and graphics. Ofcourse this sounds like a lot, but if Spore did it, so can we. I have no technical skills, so I will be a tester simply, to give response and constructive criticism.
Good job commander, and ThankYou all for helping me bring this subject back to life-With Thanks, Shane.

that sounds strangely similar to SPORE's Cell Stage.......
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySun May 27, 2012 4:56 am

Sure would like to know if the background moves step over or remain so.

p.s. i send u a PM commander
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySun May 27, 2012 9:46 am

that sounds strangely similar to SPORE's Cell Stage.......[/quote]
well, on that quote...Yes it will be in some ways, that is if we all agree on something.
Like we discussed in the microbial stage questions topic, it will be very realistic. But,.... What we didn't say is: would it be like the Spore beta, I repeat BETA, not the stupid Spore, but the one Will Wright had in mind and was fun and was actually somewhat realistic.
I personally see Thrive partially as acomplishing Will Wright's dream, and making a good evolution game. Our cell prototype actually was a recreation of Will Wright's 2005 beta Cell stage Spore.
I mean, the background would look pretty awsome, and all that I said in the previous post sounds awsome to me, thus I actually typed it in the first place.
So let the microbial stage be more realistic and more Thrive, but I think a touch of Spore beta wouldn't be too bad, thuswe started our microbial stage prototype AS the old spore cell stage.
In conclusion, it should be more realistic, and more serious as Thrive is, but a little bit like the Spore Beta.
Anyone who would like to commen on this post, please do so.-Shane Cihelka.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySun May 27, 2012 2:08 pm

This is My brother Holden typing as of now: based on the video i saw it looked pretty dull and quiet. I have no ideas for how it should be, you should just make it more actiony and exciting. and also the graphics look kinda stupid tbh. the end.
I show him a spore beta video of the cell stage.
That was his opinion.
I honestly understand what he meant and why, but I somewhat disagree.
Here is the video link, copy and paste it into Your search bar and press enter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=407ykCgLhOU&feature=related
There ya go. Please, give Your opinions if You have any.
ThankYou all very much-Shane.
Back to top Go down
jmc-24
Newcomer
jmc-24

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySun May 27, 2012 3:09 pm

The physics when the cells collide is so good, I can imagine them looking much better with actcual cells but this prototype looks and plays well, good job
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySun May 27, 2012 3:43 pm

I am still trying to let My computer to play this prototype for me, but I'm afraid My efforts are infact failing.
Oh well. But from these comments it sounds really good Commander, keep up the good work!
-Shane Cihelka.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySun May 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Wow. This calls for a Dev Blog. Good job, everyone! Our ideas have developed into a thing!

I will test it out as soon as it isn't very late at night anymore.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySun May 27, 2012 5:46 pm

I meant great to hear.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySun May 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Actualy Keen said he has to make an AI yet. Better not get ahead of ourselves. For me it would be presentable to the public with an AI and different cells other than colors.

And good news! I am from now on a important member of society (Thrive society). I finally instaled 3D Studio Max 9. So I can help you now Keen. Just say the word.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptySun May 27, 2012 9:51 pm

That's Awsome filipe!
Now it'll be even better!
I'll inform sciocont and a few others.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:20 am

I've finally got round to trying it, and it is... Exactly as you said. Yeah...! Okay, I admit playing it is a bit anti-climactic, but it's still a thing.
But what happened to the menu‽ It seems to have gone... That's the entire previous prototype, just left out! But anyway, we have colourful bouncy balls of different sizes, that's good progress from a nonfunctional menu.

➠ Thrive: Progress Report ➠
☆ With your regular host, Mr. Own D World ☆
Thrive has risen in equivalent value from a pretty picture to a free app! Rejoice, for tomorrow, the world could be ours to use as we please! Mwuhaha-... Or not, of course. Much more probable. In fact, forget I mentioned that.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 1:14 pm

You are right Uteen, it sshould have the menu. But Commander, You have done a great job, even though I still cannot get it to function for me...
I will try again today.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Great work, Keen

We can merge it with the menu later.
I'm actually thinking that we shoulf go a different direction, stylistically- have all of the microbe gameplay happen on a surface, so there's no up/down movement, simplifying the game, and have the surface be that of an undersea vent or the bottom of a shallow pool. In this way, we can have a more interesting background, and you can encounter biofilms and such that serve as obstacles. I'll flesh this out later, but if we expand our minds a little, cell stage could be a lot more interesting and complex than spore's simple "primordial soup".
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:16 pm

The Uteen wrote:
I've finally got round to trying it, and it is... Exactly as you said. Yeah...! Okay, I admit playing it is a bit anti-climactic, but it's still a thing.

But anyway, we have colourful bouncy balls of different sizes, that's good progress from a nonfunctional menu.

Give it a while and they will be colorful self-propelled bouncy balls of different sizes.

The Uteen wrote:
But what happened to the menu‽

I made the whole thing from scratch because Roadkill used a few Linux-dependencies wich are very buggy on Windows. Still, a menu is there, it appears when you press escape.

Unfortunately, I somehow broke it a few hours before posting the prototype and didn't feel like fixing it. The screen is black but the buttons still work. It's weird.

Quote :
I'll flesh this out later, but if we expand our minds a little, cell stage could be a lot more interesting and complex than spore's simple "primordial soup".

That sounds great. Spore's cell stage looked as if it was set in a fresh glass of water, not some place teeming with life. The vent will be a very interesting environment for the gameplay when we include the biofilms and areas with different acidity and temperature.

Quote :
But Commander, You have done a great job, even though I still cannot get it to function for me...

What OS do you use? It probably works only on Windows.

Can everyone tell me what OS do they use and if it works for them? It will help a lot.
Back to top Go down
jmc-24
Newcomer
jmc-24

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:33 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I'm actually thinking that we shoulf go a different direction, stylistically- have all of the microbe gameplay happen on a surface, so there's no up/down movement, simplifying the game, and have the surface be that of an undersea vent or the bottom of a shallow pool. In this way, we can have a more interesting background, and you can encounter biofilms and such that serve as obstacles. I'll flesh this out later, but if we expand our minds a little, cell stage could be a lot more interesting and complex than spore's simple "primordial soup".

I like that idea, sounds much more feasible than spore plus it'll make the stage much less repetitive too.

Commander Keen wrote:
Can everyone tell me what OS do they use and if it works for them? It will help a lot.

I use windows 7 and its works for me.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Windows 7.
meow.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:59 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
Windows 7.
meow.

What happens when you try to run the program?
Back to top Go down
jmc-24
Newcomer
jmc-24

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Doggit wrote:

You do produce some brilliant music man If my mate had ever got me the software I needed I could be producing some too :/ *sigh* Keep up the good work (Y)
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:05 pm

It just brings up the winzip registration again, I think it's just winzip, not the Microbial phase prototype, don't worry I'll be able to test it soon, I hear it's very good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Microbe Stage Final Draft
Page 7 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next