Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Organ Design - Page 6 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Organ Design

Go down 
+46
ThreeCubed
TheChubbyChihuahua
PortalFan1000
x11x35
Anagennesarcus
Immortal_Dragon
EnergyKnife
DesertBeagle
Seregon
Cobalt58
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
scorpion268
Xazo-Tak
Raptorstorm
WilliamstheJohn
spacetime_dinosaur
Tarpy
untrustedlife
NikolaAnicic007
Juodvarnis
Dilophoraptor
Daniferrito
Noone
NickTheNick
Calfeggs
ido66667
Xinomorph
Deathbite42
Brennus
Mixotroph
Orygandian2
zippybomb
Grep42
PTFace
Pezzalis
Hegataro
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Theusfilipe
MeowMan1
sumwun18
Kraeken
The Uteen
Holomanga
penumbra espinosa
lbrewer
~sciocont
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
zippybomb
Newcomer
zippybomb

Organ Design - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 11:28 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
Yes, what shall we make of this?
Sorry, but I couldn't find the part that explains, tentacles, sciocont.

The wormacle, check arthropod editor.
Back to top Go down
zippybomb
Newcomer
zippybomb

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Waxy Monkey Frogs have a gland that produces a substance which is kind of like sunscreen. It pretty much allows them to sit in the sun longer without drying out since it's an amphibian.

Also, Bombadier Beetles have two pouches in their abdomens filled with two chemicals that when the mix them together it produces a volatile chemical reaction and the stuff explodes out their backsides and literally melts the flesh of the predators attacking it. It's VERY, VERY painful.

Also some sort of gland like poison dart frogs which get their poison from venomous ants in their ecosystems. So, if your creature doesn't eat enough of a certain prey item, it isn't poisonous anymore.

So I guess those would all be glands, do you guys like the ideas?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Kraeken wrote:
Strongly thermal organs? Going beyond heat transfers in the blood that actually produce heat using various reactions? Arctic dweller has movable heat pad for thawing food and melting ice without cooling it's own body. No clue if a strong heat removing is possible in biology (I honestly doubt it based on earth) but I'm aware of a few animals that produce heat beyond warm-bloodedness
basically, I think what you are describing would be a pouch or surface at the end of an appendage that becomes very hot. This is definitely possible, since there are billions of chemical reactions out there that are exothermic, meaning that they produce heat as they go to completion. It's conceivable that chemicals could be processed or absorbed from the environment tht, when reacted, especially in the presence of an enzyme catalyst, could produce a lot of heat. This could work to keep the animal warm as well, instead of using a regular metabolism to maintain a constant body temperature. The animal would be cold-blooded, but have a blood-heating organ or many blood-heating organs. Good post.

Ninja'd
@above post- these would all just be glands with special products.
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

Location : In the middle of nowhere, calling for pizza delivery.

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 1:55 pm

I remember "odd lumps" being mentioned in the concept. Would it be possible to store water in the humps, like a camel? I didn't see anything about it, just thought I should ask. (I remember that there was a suggestion for special sacks that would hold water, this would be similar to that.)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Orygandian2 wrote:
I remember "odd lumps" being mentioned in the concept. Would it be possible to store water in the humps, like a camel? I didn't see anything about it, just thought I should ask. (I remember that there was a suggestion for special sacks that would hold water, this would be similar to that.)
Actually, it's a common misconception that camels store water in their humps. They store fat there, not water. Any storage sac is available, you'd just have to add the sac to the creature and set what is stored in it.
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:33 pm

whoops, sorry. But would something like the water storing hump be possible? I also read about the fat application in the concept. I know, this is a stupid question, but when you apply the fat to a hump, would it make the hump itself grow bigger after eating? (not just were the fat was applied, but the entire part)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Orygandian2 wrote:
whoops, sorry. But would something like the water storing hump be possible? I also read about the fat application in the concept. I know, this is a stupid question, but when you apply the fat to a hump, would it make the hump itself grow bigger after eating? (not just were the fat was applied, but the entire part)
We'd probably include some stuff in the behavior editor to show when fat grows/shrinks, so you know when your animal is healthy. A water storing hump, as I've said, is completely possible.
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Okay. Now, I have two things to cover: Eyes and the dragon-fire breathing thing.

First off: Eyes. Have compound eyes (insect eyes) been thought of yet? Also, I remember UV-detecting and Infrared-detecting aspects being discussed in a camouflage thread, but wasn't really discussed. Are those types of eyes suggested?

Also, there was the whole dragon-fire-ability discussion. Would it be possible to swallow platinum, have it get sent to a special sac were it is stored near another sac holding the hydrogen, and then be able to have the two mix together bombardier beetle style?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Orygandian2 wrote:
Okay. Now, I have two things to cover: Eyes and the dragon-fire breathing thing.

First off: Eyes. Have compound eyes (insect eyes) been thought of yet? Also, I remember UV-detecting and Infrared-detecting aspects being discussed in a camouflage thread, but wasn't really discussed. Are those types of eyes suggested?

Also, there was the whole dragon-fire-ability discussion. Would it be possible to swallow platinum, have it get sent to a special sac were it is stored near another sac holding the hydrogen, and then be able to have the two mix together bombardier beetle style?

I think we did something about compound eyes. We have a heat sensor listed here somewhere, not certain about UV or Infrared.

Platinum is one of the rarest elements in the earth's crust in any form, occurring in nickel and copper deposits, (and very seldom found in nature on it's own...) and is one of the least reactive metals. Even so, it can have some pretty high toxicities, (not as much as it's neighbors, due to it's inertness, but inside a body where it will be exposed to acids, bases and salts...) and I couldn't find it as any sort of reactive with hydrogen, which is pretty belgiumming weak to cause such an unreactive metal to respond. [Wikipedia'd]

So, on the general principle that we will not be feeding our creatures heavy metals, that there are more than three steps towards that evolution which contain no inherent advantage, and that I'm not sure it's chemically possible, no.

Man, I'm a buzzkill today.

Last edited by Mysterious_Calligrapher on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Attribute properly, fools!)
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 6:59 pm

It's okay, the main thing I was wondering about was the eyes.

One last thing: You know flying squirrels? Would the flaps they use to "fly" (glide) be handled in the skin tab or the wings? (I remember that wings were talked about in the concept.)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Orygandian2 wrote:
It's okay, the main thing I was wondering about was the eyes.

One last thing: You know flying squirrels? Would the flaps they use to "fly" (glide) be handled in the skin tab or the wings? (I remember that wings were talked about in the concept.)
Yep, this is covered in the OE CC I think.
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:19 pm

BRAINWAVE!!!

*Loading Brainwave*

*Converting Brainwave into binary code*

*Converting Braincode into words*

*Deleting useless characters*

*Converting to .txt file*

*Porting .txt file*

*Loading Braincode.txt*

*Done*

What about stingers? And if stingers are included, could they be connected to venom sacs for poison? And will they have the trait that it is only possible to sting once then die? (think: bees) I also remember reading that bees had hooks connecting their wings together, and that they could disconnect the hooks to preform more acrobatic moves. Could this be included?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 11:58 am

Fangs we've covered, stingers not so much. Hmmm... should be possible. (Tosses ball to scio.)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Covered.
Back to top Go down
Mixotroph
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 pm

If stingers are added, why not being able to choose what they inject when they sting? The only two things I could think of are formic acid, and hydrochloric acid (it could work, we use it in our stomachs, perhaps an animal using a hydrochloric acid stinger could use a system similar to your stomach to prevent from destroying the stinger)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Mixotroph wrote:
If stingers are added, why not being able to choose what they inject when they sting? The only two things I could think of are formic acid, and hydrochloric acid (it could work, we use it in our stomachs, perhaps an animal using a hydrochloric acid stinger could use a system similar to your stomach to prevent from destroying the stinger)
Covered.
Back to top Go down
Brennus
Newcomer
Brennus

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:07 pm

I noticed that there was nothing under skin and exterior details. I think the basic skin types should be smooth, knobbly, and overlapping nodes (scales). As for things on the skin, thick fur, large feathers and the like should be included, as should antennae for the nervous system, horns, and quills. In fact, I think I'll submit antennae as an organ;

Antenna
System:Nervous
Description: Projections from the body used to enhance various senses
Use: enhancing one of the following senses; smell, hearing. Also to allow these senses; Gustation (taste), Tactician (touch), thermoreception, and Magnetoception
Details: used to enhance senses early on when they aren't that well developed, and as a method to allow for certain senses.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 am

That's a good idea. On the list with it!
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Heart
System:Circulatory
Description: Round ball of flesh which circulates blood
Use:Fluid motion
Details: This increases efficiency of fluid motion
Back to top Go down
Brennus
Newcomer
Brennus

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Wow, I'm a little surprised that nobody added the heart to the list when it was first made. Good on ya for noticing that!
Back to top Go down
Xinomorph
Newcomer
Xinomorph

PostSubject: What about immune organs?   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 1:28 am

What about immune organs?

Like spleen, lymphatic vessels and nodes, thymus, bone marrow.

Organs like this, or similar function organs, can be (in the game) related to defend the entire organism against infections, and, of course, improve the level of defense of the body, against an infection that already attacked the body.

Also, in the list there is a bladder, but most important are the kidneys, which not only have the function to "make" the urine (filter, reabsorb and secrete blood and its components), but also to regulate the pressure blood levels, and the acid/base state of the body along with the lungs (ph level).
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 1:51 am

Xinomorph wrote:

Organs like this, or similar function organs, can be (in the game) related to defend the entire organism against infections, and, of course, improve the level of defense of the body, against an infection that already attacked the body.

Also, in the list there is a bladder, but most important are the kidneys, which not only have the function to "make" the urine (filter, reabsorb and secrete blood and its components), but also to regulate the pressure blood levels, and the acid/base state of the body along with the lungs (ph level).

I bet it was already covered, Dr. Xino. ( Future doctor. )
Back to top Go down
Xinomorph
Newcomer
Xinomorph

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 1:58 am

ido66667 wrote:
Xinomorph wrote:

I was about to edit the post! I now read the OE! But I didn't see immune organs :/ I saw blood filters in circulatory, I guess they're kidneys =D
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 2:01 am

Xinomorph wrote:
ido66667 wrote:
Xinomorph wrote:

I was about to edit the post! I now read the OE! But I didn't see immune organs :/ I saw blood filters in circulatory, I guess they're kidneys =D

Well, Maybe they are a general name to things like Kidneys... I mean, In different creatures the organs will not be completely the same, Just have the same purpose.
Back to top Go down
Calfeggs
Newcomer

PostSubject: Appendix   Organ Design - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Appendix
System: Digenstive
Description: A small sack like organ.
Use:The appendix helps filter out germs for creatures who eat raw meat.
Details: If it bursts because of impact or other causes, the creature goes septic and dies of infections.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Organ Design
Page 6 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next