Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+64
moopli
ElementalRed
untrustedlife
Fangchamp
Kirillian
tjwhale
Patrick Rajesh
NickTheNick
MirrorMonkey2
Oliveriver
Lepticidio
MitochondriaBox
StealthStyle L
Zymoox
AwesomeSiebren
crovea
Psych0Ch3f
spacetime_dinosaur
RyuNeko932000
Daniferrito
Earthium Prime
HariboTer
Loony Toony
The Creator
K2017
Namor-Yrotciv
0eragonbioly0
Tidus Klein
anna0cat
Captain Mcderp
Atrox
PTFace
T0N12
Madero
DeanDactyl
Noltras
Tré Wisemen
ethroptur
Alexthe666
sporewow
giffman8
TheRabiesGuineaPig
ccarriel
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Tarpy
SawerGreem
Seregon
jman12351
Notsae66
Tritium
Scottnov
Inca
PropTheRedstoner
Marija Milosevic
amymist
Alex J G
dinoman9877
Armok: God of Blood
Pantheon_Gamer
tjblazer85
Diamond Pixel
Immortal_Dragon
darwin.the.gamer
Jupiter34
68 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Earthium Prime
Newcomer
Earthium Prime

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 1:31 am

How does the github work? I solved issue #209 and posted it there. Will admins be notified that someone posted or do we just wait months until someone stumbles across it? It says to contact a developer for models and textures which this issue was related.
Ironically this is related to Namor-Yrotciv posts because its on development.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 5:19 am

@Earthium Prime
Barelly 12 hours passed since you posted those. Even more, only 2 hours passed since you posted on Github and here. If noone answered yet it is because they are probably sleeping/at work/at school.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 9:00 am

Everybody who opts to watch the Revolutionary Games repository (which by default I think includes all the devs marked as members of the team) will get a notification whenever anything is posted on an issue or pull request. More information here: https://help.github.com/articles/about-notifications/
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Does anyone know what happened to sciocont?
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Atrox wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to sciocont?
I got an answer a while back when I asked that, apparently he's "probably busy with school" or something along those lines.

Last edited by Scottnov on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 9:07 pm

Ah thank you
Back to top Go down
RyuNeko932000

RyuNeko932000

PostSubject: AN IDEA?! (READ)   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 1:57 am

Oh well here I am 11 pm and still surfing throughout the forums....
Ok lets talk about this "idea"

So I was also surfing through the web about what makes evolution to be?
I don't know if you can get my idea, I was questioning myself ¿what are the main keys that make a species to evolve?
So here comes all the things we need to consider to make "evolution" to be (psst, before I continue I took inspiration from this guy's post in this forum check it out: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t460-here-s-an-idea) ok here are all the keys we need to take in mind:
1. Climate
2. Portions of food the "species" can get to eat
3. Difficulties to get the food
4. The Surroundings
5. Defensive Mechanisms against cold/warm temperatures.
6. Defensive Mechanisms against natural predators. (Important)
7. Offensive Mechanisms
8. Genes
9. Natural Selection
10. Encountering Problems

The list can go on and on but we need to keep it simple, how?
Well we just need to choose a couple of these factors and there we go, simple.
Now which of all of these should we go with?
From my thniking here's the most "important" list:
1. Defensive Mechanisms (Predators/Temperatures/Climates)
2. Difficulties of getting food
3. The Surroundings
4. Climatic Problems

So yeah those are the most important factors that will influence your "species" and how you edi/create them, as PCAddict said, we should add a GUI that you can activate with a certain key, this GUI will let you now your "natural predator", the temperature, your main movement/ambient key problems, and your difficulties of getting your food, the player should consider all this factors while creating his species, player the can surely ignore those factors but that will be a synonym of death, if he doesn't take the right choices the species can become extinct, and that's were (I could say) you lose the game because you failed while taking in mind of those factors.

My biggest problem here is how can we keep it simple enough so that the player doesn't get confused
how can we make a sistem in which the player can choose the right "body parts" for not getting confused???
I was thinking about letting him make his own body parts in which he can simply create new body parts with certain characteristics to help his species throughout the journey, we could add some "templates" that the players can choose to modify/edit he can morph whatever shape he would like, and add "logical" life parameters for it, he can create a "skin" layer in which he can tell the system how much wamrth the skin can make! I know this can look pretty confusing, but with the right GUI, coding system and developers we could add all this features for this game!
(P.S. There should be a algorithm that could make randomly generated disasters that the players must take in mind for the evolution of his species)
Back to top Go down
RyuNeko932000

RyuNeko932000

PostSubject: [GUI] User Interface 2 MAIN EDITOR   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 3:29 am

Ok Guys Here's A GUI I made over the night the original idea was from "sciocont" but I just added some tweaks and twists! Hope you like it and give me some feedback!

Original Post: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t16-user-interface
Original Image: https://s1016.photobucket.com/user/sciocont/media/Evoeditorgui-1.png.html?t=1278723968

My Image:
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 D0GOnnj" border="0" alt=""/>

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/view/63i7zz6id8a7txw/GUI_THRIVE.png

-Ryu
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 11:45 am

If you had read around recent topics on the forum even slightly, you would know that that design was abandoned ages ago, and the entire GUI has, for the moment, been finalised and just has to be coded into the game. Please don't start new topics just for things like this anyway - it's better to post in the misc thread for the time being, until you get developer access and can post in this thread.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 12:17 pm

First off, this would probably be better off in the misc. thread and I find your line of thought hard to follow.

I don't really think that we need to simplify this by cutting down on factors because Thrive is meant to be as realistic as possible. Plus, the player doesn't really have to follow this anyway because this would effect the evolution of species that you are not in control of (auto-evo I believe). If they wanted they could add stuff that is not affected by any of these factors. They also should be able to work out for themselves if they keep freezing to death that they need a defense to that.

I'm not sure about auto-evo and what will affect that because I'm not sure what is out of date.

However, I do like the idea that you can see what is the biggest killer of your species. On the other hand, I do not understand how you can show the difficulties of getting food on the gui. For your other stuff about body parts check out the Organism Editor.

Also, disasters have been discussed before.

Do you mind sort of pinning down the idea, please?
Back to top Go down
Captain Mcderp
Newcomer
Captain Mcderp

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 1:52 pm

Hey,
I have a question about something I noticed while browsing the forums.
Sometimes I see random bits of text highlighted, like when it's a link.

But these links always lead to malicious/fake websites that are most likely made to spread malware. This is pretty annoying. Especially when something looks like it's legitimately a link to a wiki or something that someone has put there. Is this ever going to get fixed. I guess this has to do with an ad provider or something. I've seen this before.

If this could get fixed I think a lot of people would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

Second thing I wanted to post;

There is a mod called "Black mesa" (A free half life remake made by fans.) and it's programmed in lua, the forums are also full of skilled lua programmers who don't care about money. This could be a good place to find programmers.

just an idea though.

Link to BMS forums: http://forums.blackmesasource.com/
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 2:26 pm

It's something to do with where this forum is hosted.
Back to top Go down
Madero
Newcomer
Madero

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Captain Mcderp wrote:

But these links always lead to malicious/fake websites that are most likely made to spread malware. This is pretty annoying. Especially when something looks like it's legitimately a link to a wiki or something that someone has put there. Is this ever going to get fixed. I guess this has to do with an ad provider or something. I've seen this before.

It happened the same to me, It's some sort of virus, I resolved the problem with some antimalware programs. For a better PC cleaning I followed the steps of a malware cleaning tutorial (it's not this because the tutorial I used was in spanish)
Back to top Go down
https://soundcloud.com/m4d3r0
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Captain Mcderp wrote:
Hey,
I have a question about something I noticed while browsing the forums.

Thanks in advance

I get them too. The way to tell if they're legitimate or not is to hover over them for a second which will cause it to show "Link added by VigLink". I assume this was added by forumotion and not the Thrive team.

Madero wrote:
It happened the same to me, It's some sort of virus, I resolved the problem with some antimalware programs. For a better PC cleaning I followed the steps of a malware cleaning tutorial (it's not this because the tutorial I used was in spanish)

Not all of the links give you malware. Some are just links to sites like Amazon or something. Also, I'd recommend getting some sort of antivirus if you want to prevent things like this giving you malware. Avast! is pretty good and I use it, but it's a little pushy sometimes. MalwareBites is a very good cleaner, but it's not good for preventing malware from entering your system. Example: You go to "coolvirus.com" and you have MalwareBites. Obviously since you went to a site literally called "coolvirus.com", you get some type of malware, MalwareBites doesn't do a thing about it until you scan with it. Avast, however, will prevent it from entering (usually), but compared to MalwareBites it probably isn't as good as scanning or cleaning up.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 10:35 pm

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that what Ryu was going on about is some sort of way to make the player aware of the evolutionary pressures currently acting on her species. As is, there's little in the way of ideas for how we could telegraph all that effectively, and it's important to playability that people get at least some idea of what direction to take when in the editor. Considering the work we're doing on modelling evolutionary pressures for auto-evo right now, it would be well within the realm of possibility to ask auto-evo what the player should do, and then somehow translate that into english to give the player a hint when requested. The ugliest part would probably be the translating.

And yes, the viglinks are thanks to forumotion; they're ads, cuz this forum is hosted for free, and they're a business and do like getting paid for their hosting. They, among with some other things (like a panel at the bottom of the page which has links for other "related" forums) should disappear when you log on though. If you look carefully, you should notice that they're double-underlined (I think), and there's a popup when you hover. And they also highlight much more random words from what I can tell.
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 5:34 am

Sorry to revive the slightly older topic, but as for having more than 1-2 eyes I had an idea:

Using the behavior editor or some other tool, you have the ability to "tag" eyes. You can toggle if you see through "tagged" eyes or all your eyes via a hotkey in-game. When looking through all eyes, it would be split-screen like NickTheNick said.
There's still benefit from having more eyes though, as different colored arrows will appear around the HUD in first-person, which indicate different things:
Red arrow: A predator or otherwise hostile life-form.
Orange arrow: Source of food.
Light blue color: The player's species.
Gray: Any other non-hostile creature of any kind.
Black: A hazard known to your species (only if your species is intelligent enough and has experienced it before).
(Also, if you have anything to add to this list, just say so.)
(The HUD arrows can also be disabled in the options menu.)
Additionally, perhaps there should be a way to cycle through all of your eyes one by one as well. That would be extremely disorienting however.

If I made any mistakes, feel free to correct them, and if you have anything to add or comment on, please do!
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 9:33 am

Scottnov wrote:
Sorry to revive the slightly older topic, but as for having more than 1-2 eyes I had an idea:

Using the behavior editor or some other tool, you have the ability to "tag" eyes. You can toggle if you see through "tagged" eyes or all your eyes via a hotkey in-game. When looking through all eyes, it would be split-screen like NickTheNick said.
There's still benefit from having more eyes though, as different colored arrows will appear around the HUD in first-person, which indicate different things:
Red arrow: A predator or otherwise hostile life-form.
Orange arrow: Source of food.
Light blue color: The player's species.
Gray: Any other non-hostile creature of any kind.
Black: A hazard known to your species (only if your species is intelligent enough and has experienced it before).
(Also, if you have anything to add to this list, just say so.)
(The HUD arrows can also be disabled in the options menu.)
Additionally, perhaps there should be a way to cycle through all of your eyes one by one as well. That would be extremely disorienting however.

If I made any mistakes, feel free to correct them, and if you have anything to add or comment on, please do!
Thanks.

That's a great idea, Scottie
Perhaps instead of arrows they could be different colored, kind of hazy, lights that show up on the edge of your screen.
Also what about green for the player's species and light blue for sources of water?

Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Cool idea!

So with what you're saying, do you mean that in the editor you can tag certain eyes and then use hotkeys to go through each of those eyes individually or that you either see through the eyes you tagged and whence you press the hotkey you can see through all of them? I'd like it if you could just clarify a little bit more.

But I do like this idea. And I think it would be better with the lights instead of arrows, like Atrox suggested.

@Moonpli

Maybe in the editor it could show you the biggest killers of your species. But I don't just mean organims, this could also be stuff like starvation or freezing. Then the player can decide how to counter-act these. So it shows the evolutionary pressures on your species. Also, at an even easier difficulty, like you said, auto-evo could say what it would do...somehow.
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 1:57 pm

moopli wrote:
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that what Ryu was going on about is some sort of way to make the player aware of the evolutionary pressures currently acting on her species. As is, there's little in the way of ideas for how we could telegraph all that effectively...

This was discussed recently in this thread. There weren't too many conclusions beyond what you said: that we can have auto-evo rate each of the possible mutations a player can pick and decide which would be the most advantageous, and that we should display some of these results to the player (possibly depending on difficulty setting, or the computational cost of rating every possible mutation). In terms of GUI, I'd prefer we subtly colour code each possible mutations button, from green (good) to red (bad) - as you say translating this into plain english could be difficult.
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Would it be easier to just list the few highest reasons of death for your species? Like a predator or even starvation and freezing to death. It would mean that the player wouldn't have a prompt showing what they should do next, but it would show the evolutionary pressures your species is affected by and what they should prioritise.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 7:21 pm

StealthStyle L wrote:
Would it be easier to just list the few highest reasons of death for your species? Like a predator or even starvation and freezing to death. It would mean that the player wouldn't have a prompt showing what they should do next, but it would show the evolutionary pressures your species is affected by and what they should prioritise.

After saying something along those lines when I started the thread, I agree. I think that a simple table of your species' mortality would work best at minimum. This would simply tell the player the kind of death, the number of deaths, and the percentage of total deaths. Highest percentages would be at the top, but telling what to prioritize wouldn't be exactly necessary; rather, the course of action would be implied and up to the player. However, having direct as opposed to implied advice would be better for cases with multiple courses of action, such as starvation, which could be caused by inefficinent digestive systems, a large brain sapping more nutrients than are available, or the organism being too slow in escaping predators or pursuing prey.

When it comes to this, there are two choices; the easier to implement death statistics option, or a more in-depth but harder to implement advice mechanic. Both could be accessed with what I imagine as a button shaped like a fossil skull.

In my personal opinion, I think the simple death statistics would work better, like StealthStyle L said; it would already be pretty hard in the first place, but would be easier than an advice mechanic prone to bugs. It's better than nothing at all, however, since the player might not even know what's causing population to dive at all, so something to tell them in the editor would work well.

EDIT: Should death statistics available in the editor be added at the same time as population dynamics, or is it not worth the trouble, seeing as they're going to be implemented along with the new GUI?
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Atrox wrote:
That's a great idea, Scottie
Perhaps instead of arrows they could be different colored, kind of hazy, lights that show up on the edge of your screen.
Also what about green for the player's species and light blue for sources of water?
Thanks!
Yeah, hazy lights would probably be more immersive and would work better than arrows, I like that idea too.
Green for player's species and blue for water seems like it would work. I also had an idea that would allow the player to change the arrows or lights that represent their species to whatever color they wish, just as an extra.

StealthStyle L wrote:
Cool idea!

So with what you're saying, do you mean that in the editor you can tag certain eyes and then use hotkeys to go through each of those eyes individually or that you either see through the eyes you tagged and whence you press the hotkey you can see through all of them? I'd like it if you could just clarify a little bit more.

But I do like this idea. And I think it would be better with the lights instead of arrows, like Atrox suggested.
Once again, thanks!
I was thinking of it like the second option you described with being able to see through tagged eyes or ALL eyes by using a hotkey (perhaps it defaults to tab). There would likely still be the option to cycle through all your eyes (tagged or not) with [ and ], individually.
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 11:58 pm

So, what were we waiting on for the next release again? I'm not seeing much activity on GitHub and apparently 0.2.4 was supposed to release 2 months ago and was last updated 18 days ago.
Wasn't it something like waiting for the GUI to be coded in?
Back to top Go down
Earthium Prime
Newcomer
Earthium Prime

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Well according to the github they still need to do:

Population dynamics
The GUI
Models for organelles
Create and add sound

That will finish up 0.2.4 release.
Back to top Go down
Scottnov
Learner
Scottnov

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Earthium Prime wrote:
Well according to the github they still need to do:

Population dynamics
The GUI
Models for organelles
Create and add sound

That will finish up 0.2.4 release.
Thanks.
But as far as I can tell development has halted as of now, so I'd like to know what's going on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 17 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 29  Next