Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Extended Research List - Page 9 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Extended Research List

Go down 
+21
Darkgamma
Redstar
caekdaemon
Waap
Xenopologist
Albalrogue
Tenebrarum
zotobom
Lukas99
Agrestrife
Poisson
Noitulove
roadkillguy
YourBreakfast
GamerXA
Invader
~sciocont
eumesmo
The Uteen
Commander Keen
US_of_Alaska
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Extended Research List - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 7:07 pm

In that case, I'd say we're good till the next version of the list comes out. ^^
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 9:19 pm

I think i've got all the sugggested fixes in the new version. Check the OP for the new link.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 6:31 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I think i've got all the sugggested fixes in the new version. Check the OP for the new link.

Coolio!

So, where is internal combustion?

Chivalry still needs to unlock Chivalric codes under the foreign policy section of the NE.

Astronomy should be triggered by use of optics on the clear night sky.

Wheather forcasting should be triggered by use of optics on clouds.

Meteorology should be triggered by lots of violent wheather.

Screw Propeller should be triggered by lots of boats.

Printing should be triggered by lots of records/writing.

Anatomy still needs the trigger I described earlier. The game would see it as the player 'playing' with corpses, similer to playing with sticks to gain intelligence.

Other than that, great!
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Why violent weather? Why wouldn't something like simple rain and cloudy days do something for meteorology? Actually, now that I think about it, is there a difference between meteorology and weather forecasting?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 12:49 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Coolio!

So, where is internal combustion?

Chivalry still needs to unlock Chivalric codes under the foreign policy section of the NE.

Astronomy should be triggered by use of optics on the clear night sky.

Wheather forcasting should be triggered by use of optics on clouds.

Screw Propeller should be triggered by lots of boats.

Printing should be triggered by lots of records/writing.

Anatomy still needs the trigger I described earlier. The game would see it as the player 'playing' with corpses, similer to playing with sticks to gain intelligence.

Other than that, great!
Okay, all fixed. Will be present in next update.

@Poisson: The basic difference is that Meteorology is the structured study of weather. Weather Forecasting is a man on his back porch saying that it looks like it's going to rain because his daddy was told by his daddy that the current conditions are usually present just before rain.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:52 am

Why does Military science have Music as it's requirement? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Also, what do you mean by Advanced lock?
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Why does Military science have Music as it's requirement? Doesn't make any sense to me
Drills perhaps? Drums was also used as a method of communicating orders in battle, since its hard to hear the officers voice with the noise of cannons in the background.
Back to top Go down
Redstar
Newcomer
Redstar

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Alright, Alaska, I'm coming for you.

For starters: I really like that you're making an attempt to include gameplay effects and triggers right there in the chart. I was deliberately putting that off when I made the old one, and I think it suffered for it. It really helps to see what effects each item will have.

However, I think that this is... overexpanded in a lot of ways. What I tried to do when making mine was not create Researches that were extremely narrow, or had a very limited effect - especially if I could find a way to incorporate them into another item without having to make too many logical assumptions. Adding too many items really clutters up the tree, making it (I think) needlessly huge, especially considering that it's already going to contain hundreds of items, most likely.

Do Tech Objects and Function Parts work differently now than they used to? As I recall, a Tech object was just any item that a player made in the Tech Editor, and its capabilities were determined by the (hard-coded) "tags" attached to its Function Parts, which were placed by the player.

The reason I'm asking this is that it seems a lot of researches unlock a "Tech Object", when, from my perspective, they should unlock "Function Parts" for players to place on their TO's. And further, if they did, this would eliminate a lot of researches from the tree.

For example:
"Naval Warfare" - If the player creates a TO that has a "Naval" FP (such as oars), as well as a "Projectile Weapon" FP (such as a bow), then it should automatically have the tags associated with both (i.e., "Naval, Seaworthy=No, Vehicle, Speed=2, Crew=2, Attack:Ranged, DamageDice=1d10, DamageType:Piercing" - purely for example) . Therefore, why is there a Research to unlock something that the player will already be capable of making?

"Chariots" - Same thing. You've got the "Wheel" FP (from researching "The Wheel"), and you've got the "Animal Harness" FP (from researching "Animal Husbandry"). Attach an animal harness to a wheeled device, and you've got a "chariot". Why does there need to be a unique research for this?

"Metal Casting" - I think you've got this one confused with "Metalworking", which is much simpler. "Metal Casting" is one short step away from replaceable parts, machines, and mass production - one just re-uses the same casting mold over and over. "Metalworking" is simply blacksmithing.

"Natural Drugs" - I don't really get the point of this one either. It seems like "Naturopathy" should unlock everything this one does.

"Sacrifice" - Why does this need its own Research? I think the Sacrificial Altar should unlock after the Research of "Mysticism" and any one "Resources" type Research

"State Religion" - I don't see why this needs to exist at all. Rather, I think the ability to adopt a state religion should be instantly unlocked once a "Religion" Research and a "Government" research are completed. Making the player waste time researching something they should logically be able to do already seems... pointless.

"Complex Writing" - What is this, exactly? Why does it exist? Why can't the player store records immediately after Writing is researched?

For that matter, why does "Record Keeping" exist? It's fundamentally writing. Unless you're talking about cave painting, which serves no useful purpose and doesn't really deserve its own research. I think it ought to be changed to writing.

"Alloys" - Again, I think this is just eating up a slot. Metallurgy (a better name for this research) goes hand in hand with smelting - it happens by accident the very first time two ores are smelted in the same furnace. I think levels of "Metalworking" research could unlock new alloys as materials, but I don't see the need to give it its own Research.

"Athletics" - I feel this one's benefits should unlock automatically after "Hunting". All cultures must naturally have athletics - as soon as one guy tries to run faster than another guy, you've done it. If they're chasing an animal to try and eat it, naturally this will happen. It should lose the "Arena" object, though.

"Glass" - Don't see the use of this one. I think the material "Glass" should unlock automatically after researching "Mining" (harvesting mineral resources) and "Metalworking" (use of heat to extract metal from ore, of which traces of glass are a common by-product).

"Combat Sports" - This is a good one - I think it should occupy the slot where Athletics currently is, and serve to unlock "Aesthetics" in its place.

There are a lot more than this - more than I want to do right now. Essentially, this Tech Tree does exactly what I was trying to avoid doing in mine: Creating new "Researches" to unlock things in the Tech/Nation Editor that should really be automatically unlocked when their prerequisites are researched. It's the reason I didn't do a layout like the one you've done here, and instead wanted to make a discrete list consisting ONLY of Editor items that would be unlocked by Researches.

Think of how Civ works - I know you're a fan of that game. As soon as you've researched "Mathematics" and "Masonry", the Aqueduct building becomes available - it doesn't require its own research, even though it has two research requirements. This keeps the game moving, and doesn't require a load of research just to have a functional city.

More is not always better with this sort of thing, and I think this has become pretty needlessly cumbersome.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 3:31 pm

I was expecting to see the this post from the moment you showed up, Red.

Tech objects work the same way as when you left, with one addition: players can either choose to make their own TOs from scratch, or select premade TOs when they for whatever reason don't want to create them themselves. This is why we need a way to know wich premade TOs should be unlocked.

This research tree is basically a copied version from a Civilizations mod, so it's still a subject to change.

I agree with Naval Warfare, Chariots, Metal Casting, Sacrifice, State religion, Complex Writing, Athletics, Glass and Combat sports.

Natural drugs is just a replacement for Alcohol Brewing. The problem with alcohol is that different creatures' metabolisms may not be affected by it at all, or it may outright be a poision for them.

Writing has been renamed to Record Keeping because creatures with different senses than humans may not have sight, so they need a different way of keeping records.

By the way, what is an "Editor item"?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Redstar wrote:
However, I think that this is... overexpanded in a lot of ways. What I tried to do when making mine was not create Researches that were extremely narrow, or had a very limited effect - especially if I could find a way to incorporate them into another item without having to make too many logical assumptions. Adding too many items really clutters up the tree, making it (I think) needlessly huge, especially considering that it's already going to contain hundreds of items, most likely.
Redundancy is the very core of scientific safety. It's far safer to make it needlessly large and cumbersome, and then work it down from there as the game starts being tested.

Redstar wrote:
Do Tech Objects and Function Parts work differently now than they used to? As I recall, a Tech object was just any item that a player made in the Tech Editor, and its capabilities were determined by the (hard-coded) "tags" attached to its Function Parts, which were placed by the player.
TOs define behaivior. You can attempt to use any TO for anything you want, but it won't nessicarily work. Mainly, these are here so the AI knows what to do with them.

Redstar wrote:
"Chariots" - Same thing. You've got the "Wheel" FP (from researching "The Wheel"), and you've got the "Animal Harness" FP (from researching "Animal Husbandry"). Attach an animal harness to a wheeled device, and you've got a "chariot". Why does there need to be a unique research for this?
I agree, but in the sense that a Chariot TO should be unlocked automatically by Wheel and Animal Husbandry.

Redstar wrote:
"Metal Casting" - I think you've got this one confused with "Metalworking", which is much simpler. "Metal Casting" is one short step away from replaceable parts, machines, and mass production - one just re-uses the same casting mold over and over. "Metalworking" is simply blacksmithing.
Agree.

Redstar wrote:
"Natural Drugs" - I don't really get the point of this one either. It seems like "Naturopathy" should unlock everything this one does.
There was a lot of talk about having different levels for researches. Instead, it was deemed simpler to stick to the current method and add researches as needed instead of changing the system.

Redstar wrote:
"Sacrifice" - Why does this need its own Research? I think the Sacrificial Altar should unlock after the Research of "Mysticism" and any one "Resources" type Research
Sacrifice is not present in cultures right from the start. There's a whole slew of philosophy and theology behind it. This represents that.

Redstar wrote:
"State Religion" - I don't see why this needs to exist at all. Rather, I think the ability to adopt a state religion should be instantly unlocked once a "Religion" Research and a "Government" research are completed. Making the player waste time researching something they should logically be able to do already seems... pointless.
I agree.

Redstar wrote:
"Complex Writing" - What is this, exactly? Why does it exist? Why can't the player store records immediately after Writing is researched?
Redstar wrote:
For that matter, why does "Record Keeping" exist? It's fundamentally writing. Unless you're talking about cave painting, which serves no useful purpose and doesn't really deserve its own research. I think it ought to be changed to writing.
"Record Keeping" = Pictograms
"Writing" = Phonograms
"Complex Writing" = Alphabet/Syllabary/That one that is in Arabic and Hebrew I can never remember the name of.

Redstar wrote:
"Alloys" - Again, I think this is just eating up a slot. Metallurgy (a better name for this research) goes hand in hand with smelting - it happens by accident the very first time two ores are smelted in the same furnace. I think levels of "Metalworking" research could unlock new alloys as materials, but I don't see the need to give it its own Research.
The first metalworking is dealing with one and only one metal, never thinking to mix the two. There's a learning curve here. It's present on Earth too.

Redstar wrote:
"Athletics" - I feel this one's benefits should unlock automatically after "Hunting". All cultures must naturally have athletics - as soon as one guy tries to run faster than another guy, you've done it. If they're chasing an animal to try and eat it, naturally this will happen. It should lose the "Arena" object, though.
The name is a bad choice. The idea is study of athletics. Something that took us quite a while to figure out.

Redstar wrote:
"Glass" - Don't see the use of this one. I think the material "Glass" should unlock automatically after researching "Mining" (harvesting mineral resources) and "Metalworking" (use of heat to extract metal from ore, of which traces of glass are a common by-product).
Throughout the stone age, and bronze age people mined and most lived without glass.

Redstar wrote:
"Combat Sports" - This is a good one - I think it should occupy the slot where Athletics currently is, and serve to unlock "Aesthetics" in its place.
Why would this unlock aesthetics?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Okay, here we go.

Redstar wrote:
Alright, Alaska, I'm coming for you.
Eep.

Redstar wrote:
For starters: I really like that you're making an attempt to include gameplay effects and triggers right there in the chart. I was deliberately putting that off when I made the old one, and I think it suffered for it. It really helps to see what effects each item will have.
I couldn't organise all of the researches without the effects. I did it out of need more than anything.

Redstar wrote:
I have been worried about an overly large research tree. I felt that the Society Stages should be enormous, however. At least as long as Pre-Sapience Org Mode. I'm worried it's been getting pushed more and more onto the backburner. This research tree was really a way to make the Society Stages feel big. But i see your point. I'll address it later on.

Redstar wrote:
TO = Object created in the Tech Editor. They are given tags so that the AI knows how to use them.
FP = Object unlocked by researches that is used to give TOs a function. Used by the engine to figure out what a TO can actually physically do.

Redstar wrote:
The reason I'm asking this is that it seems a lot of researches unlock a "Tech Object", when, from my perspective, they should unlock "Function Parts" for players to place on their TO's. And further, if they did, this would eliminate a lot of researches from the tree.
Anywhere i say "Tech Objects" it means "the tag in the Tech Editor or the option of a premade TO with these tags". Make sense? It basically means now you can tag a TO with this.

Redstar wrote:
For example:
"Naval Warfare" - If the player creates a TO that has a "Naval" FP (such as oars), as well as a "Projectile Weapon" FP (such as a bow), then it should automatically have the tags associated with both (i.e., "Naval, Seaworthy=No, Vehicle, Speed=2, Crew=2, Attack:Ranged, DamageDice=1d10, DamageType:Piercing" - purely for example) . Therefore, why is there a Research to unlock something that the player will already be capable of making?
I see your point here, and with Chariots. I will think about how best to write in TOs that require two Researches. This is simply a matter of me not thinking of this idea at all. Glad to have been kept in check.

Redstar wrote:
Are you sure of this? Can anyone else confirm? I will gladly change it, i've just always thought of metal casting as the very first metalworking research.

Redstar wrote:
Pretty much what Keen said. We needed an alternative to alcohol.

Redstar wrote:
What Rex said. Personally, i don't like levels. And this was a way to combat that.

Redstar wrote:
Two votes against mine, will change. Although how do i write this effect on the Research Tree?

Redstar wrote:
Basically what Rex said, but not quite. Record Keeping is writing. But it is ambiguous to dominant senses, meaning a dominant smell species would not need a different research. Complex Writing is a more efficient form of whatever record keeping form they create. In our case, it's equivalent is alphabet. And Complex Writing's effect is to increase Science and Happiness. This research is mainly put in because the jump from hieroglyphs and cuneiform to alphabet was significant here, and would logically be elsewhere in the universe.

Redstar wrote:
Again, i dislike levels. Alloys is another anti-levels research.

Redstar wrote:
Athletics is really Organised Athletics, or the Study of Athletics, like Rex said.

Redstar wrote:
This makes sense to me, actually. One more vote for this and i will change.

Redstar wrote:
Addressed Athletics, and this is really just in relation to that.

Redstar wrote:
There are a lot more than this - more than I want to do right now. Essentially, this Tech Tree does exactly what I was trying to avoid doing in mine: Creating new "Researches" to unlock things in the Tech/Nation Editor that should really be automatically unlocked when their prerequisites are researched. It's the reason I didn't do a layout like the one you've done here, and instead wanted to make a discrete list consisting ONLY of Editor items that would be unlocked by Researches.
Like Rex asked, what are Editor Items?

Redstar wrote:
Think of how Civ works - I know you're a fan of that game. As soon as you've researched "Mathematics" and "Masonry", the Aqueduct building becomes available - it doesn't require its own research, even though it has two research requirements. This keeps the game moving, and doesn't require a load of research just to have a functional city.
I understand this now. Like i said, it was just a matter of me not thinking of this idea. The tech tree i based this off was very "one-object-per-tech", and i simply hadn't looked at it with fresh eyes. For that, i thank you. I will look over it a few times keeping this in mind.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Alright, for the TO researches, just stick them in both researches as follows:

"Wheel"
Unlocks: TO: Chariot (With Animal Husbandry)

Also, chariot needs some sort of millitary research. Wheel plus animal husbandry should equal cart. Cart plus somit else should equal chariot.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I have been worried about an overly large research tree. I felt that the Society Stages should be enormous, however. At least as long as Pre-Sapience Org Mode. I'm worried it's been getting pushed more and more onto the backburner. This research tree was really a way to make the Society Stages feel big. But i see your point. I'll address it later on.

QFT. Major concern of mine.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 1:23 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Alright, for the TO researches, just stick them in both researches as follows:

"Wheel"
Unlocks: TO: Chariot (With Animal Husbandry)

Also, chariot needs some sort of millitary research. Wheel plus animal husbandry should equal cart. Cart plus somit else should equal chariot.

US_of_Alaska wrote:

QFT. Major concern of mine.
Yeah, that's how i tried laying it out. It seems to still be legible. Next update you guys can see the changes.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 2:36 am

Keep in mind that levels only increase effectivity of the research. They don't add any FPs, TOs or new research branches. It's completly fine to add your level-researches because of that.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Keep in mind that levels only increase effectivity of the research. They don't add any FPs, TOs or new research branches. It's completly fine to add your level-researches because of that.
Define effectivity. How would a research that unlocks the spawning of a certain religion type or unlocks a new TO tag become more effective?

EDIT: See OP for new link. Now complete up to Modern Physics. Also tried to cut back on early researches that were unnecessary or illogical. Feedback needed.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Rockets existed in a primitive form since gunpowder was invented. Why do you think we've had fireworks for so long? Now that I think of it, add them.

I still don't know where the cultural traits go, but mass transit has existed since the train.

Flight should unlock a wing FP. It should also unlock balloons. It should be triggered by low gravity worlds, thick atmospheres, and lots of flying/floating organisms.

Still missing carts.

Advanced sanitation should allow indoor toilets (Outside gardarobes[sp?]). No way around saying that. It's pretty important actually. It should also allow running water.

Written music should increase the likelyhood of musical arts spawning in your nation, and increase literacy rates with lots of entertainer specialists.

Calender should be triggered by seasonal changes.

Aristocracy should be triggered by use of castes.

Athletics should be triggered by running/swimming alot.

Literature should increase happiness with literacy rates.

Monarchy should be triggered by unrest/civil war

Meditation should be triggered by lots of religious structures.

Fission should be triggered by use of high explosives.

Animal Husbandry + Agriculture should unlock Plow TO/FP

Sacrifice should be triggered by surplus.

Caste system should be triggered by over-ubundant specialists.

Monotheism should be triggered by internal religious conflict

Combat Sports should be triggered by powerful military specialists. (Governmental influence)

Mounted Projectile Weaponry should be triggered by hunting while riding animals.

Sanitation should be triggered by low health (Nationally speaking).

Education should be triggered by training lots of specialists on short notice.

Clockwork should be triggered by lots of rituals.

Physics should be triggered by playing with physics objects, in particular droping them from great hights.

Psychology should be triggered by high crime rates/strict society.

Get rid of public transit.

Last edited by Tenebrarum on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:16 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Define effectivity. How would a research that unlocks the spawning of a certain religion type or unlocks a new TO tag become more effective?

Yeah, effectivity seems weird in those cases. Religion getting more effective is just that it can convert more believers. TO tags would become more effective by improving every TO with the tag.

Quote :
Why does Military science have Music as it's requirement? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Could you care to answer these please?

---

You have Steam engines, Combustion engines and Internal Combustion engines in the tree. What's that? As far as I know, there are only external combustion (steam) and internal combustion engines.

Merge Semi-Automatic weapons with Automatic weapons, because they were invented nearly at the same time. Add Closed Bolt Chamber (semi-auto), Open Bolt Chamber (revoler-auto) and Ammunition hopper (gattling) FPs to distinguish between them.

Move Heavy Firearms just after the Firearm lock and give it the Firearm lock as it's only prerequisite.

Give Fission usage of military explosives or high energy need as the trigger, and replace the Atom Smasher FP with Nuclear fission reactor (Atomic bombs are essentialy small reactors dropped from planes).

Add Radar, with Radar FPs, Radio and Industrialization as prerequisites, type Military and use of aircraft as trigger.

Base Sonar on Radar.

Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 9:08 am

I think flight should be in two pieces.

Hot air drift flight, and powered flight.

This means you get blimps/balloons/Zeppelins before you get the fixed wing. Thats more realistic then unlocking them at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 2:13 pm

caekdaemon wrote:
I think flight should be in two pieces.

Hot air drift flight, and powered flight.

This means you get blimps/balloons/Zeppelins before you get the fixed wing. Thats more realistic then unlocking them at the same time.

Aircraft still need powerful engines, there's no need to split the research.
Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:44 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
stuff

Currently i am up to Researches discovered in the modern era.
DOWNLOAD PDF

Constructive criticism is welcome, and some things i'm still not sure about. Most have question marks, but some are just dodgy.
I'd say too small. If you want, I can do the entire tech tree for Thrive if you people want. I'm pretty good at it and have an infinity of books bigger than life.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 5:16 pm

This tree is not finished by far, feel free to propose any new researches and changes to current ones.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 1:00 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Rockets existed in a primitive form since gunpowder was invented. Why do you think we've had fireworks for so long? Now that I think of it, add them.
Firework FPs into Gunpowder research?

Tenebrarum wrote:
I still don't know where the cultural traits go, but mass transit has existed since the train.
I never said anything about mass transit... I said Public Transit.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Flight should unlock a wing FP. It should also unlock balloons. It should be triggered by low gravity worlds, thick atmospheres, and lots of flying/floating organisms.
Shouldn't thermodynamics unlock balloons? Will add wing and triggers.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Still missing carts.
What the? Something went wrong. There are a few researches here that i could've sworn i deleted... I don't know what i did there. Willfix.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Advanced sanitation should allow indoor toilets (Outside gardarobes[sp?]). No way around saying that. It's pretty important actually. It should also allow running water.
Indoor toilets are decoration, because they are interior furniture. adding a +Health bonus is representational of that. But adding pipes and water pumps is probably a good idea.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Written music should increase the likelyhood of musical arts spawning in your nation, and increase literacy rates with lots of entertainer specialists.
In fact, it should probably allow arts to spawn as music. I don't think anything else has that effect.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Calender should be triggered by seasonal changes.
Willfix.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Aristocracy should be triggered by use of castes.
Makes sense.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Athletics should be triggered by running/swimming alot.
Mmm... Makes sense, i guess.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Literature should increase happiness with literacy rates.
That makes perfect sense. Willadd.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Monarchy should be triggered by unrest/civil war
Why? I'm happy to include it, i just think it is a strange trigger

Tenebrarum wrote:
Meditation should be triggered by lots of religious structures.
This does make sense, but i think i'll change it to any Religion-Related TOs.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Fission should be triggered by use of high explosives.
Deal.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Animal Husbandry + Agriculture should unlock Plow TO/FP
Makes sense.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Sacrifice should be triggered by surplus.
Surplus population, you mean?

Tenebrarum wrote:
Caste system should be triggered by over-ubundant specialists.
I had the trigger as uneven specialists, which i think makes more sense. How can you have an over-abundance of anything? Specialists are something that is sought after, aren't they?

Tenebrarum wrote:
Monotheism should be triggered by internal religious conflict
Hmm... This makes sense in relation to us. Do you think others would have the same solution? I guess either way it makes it a trigger, so i'll add it.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Combat Sports should be triggered by powerful military specialists. (Governmental influence)
I'm not sure what the (Governmental Influence) means? Apart from that, i'll add military specialists as a trigger.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Mounted Projectile Weaponry should be triggered by hunting while riding animals.
That research has been cut.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Sanitation should be triggered by low health (Nationally speaking).
I feel stupid for not having that already. Willfix.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Education should be triggered by training lots of specialists on short notice.
I don't understand. The player can choose to force the population into specialists (Caste System - Low Freedoms) or influence the amount of specialists by spending resources. What is this sudden training? Do you mean ejecting from an SC?

Tenebrarum wrote:
Clockwork should be triggered by lots of rituals.
Don't understand this at all.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Physics should be triggered by playing with physics objects, in particular droping them from great hights.
Dropping things. Check.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Psychology should be triggered by high crime rates/strict society.
Do we have a mechanic for crime rates? I kind of just assumed this was represented by disorder.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Get rid of public transit.
Why? Public Transport would be perfect for your cultural thing, i thought.

Keen wrote:

That was a carry over. I don't know why it was included in the Civ tree, so i just took it and hoped there was a reason. If not, can kill.

The one up from Matchlock. Flintlock or something. I'm not so good with guns.

Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
You have Steam engines, Combustion engines and Internal Combustion engines in the tree. What's that? As far as I know, there are only external combustion (steam) and internal combustion engines.

Merge Semi-Automatic weapons with Automatic weapons, because they were invented nearly at the same time. Add Closed Bolt Chamber (semi-auto), Open Bolt Chamber (revoler-auto) and Ammunition hopper (gattling) FPs to distinguish between them.

Move Heavy Firearms just after the Firearm lock and give it the Firearm lock as it's only prerequisite.

Give Fission usage of military explosives or high energy need as the trigger, and replace the Atom Smasher FP with Nuclear fission reactor (Atomic bombs are essentialy small reactors dropped from planes).

Add Radar, with Radar FPs, Radio and Industrialization as prerequisites, type Military and use of aircraft as trigger.

Base Sonar on Radar.

Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 7:52 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Well, it was really to distinguish between coal engines (slow burning fuels) and oil-based product engines (combustible). If this is incorrect, please tell me. Then the ICE was just much smaller.

Commander Keen wrote:
Wasn't World War I fought with Semi-Automatic and WWII with Automatic? I think that's a significant enough amount of time to be included as different researches

Commander Keen wrote:
Heavy Firearms is Artillery, from memory. That can't be moved back to the time of the Matchlock Gun.

Commander Keen wrote:
High energy needed and the reactor would be inconceivable. The atom bomb they dropped on Hiroshima was no reactor, it just compressed an atom with c-4 and then the atom smashed and released all it's energy. A reactor made out of this would be highly unsuited for use as a power station. Which does bring the question of when nuclear reactors became stable enough to be used for power... You wouldn't happen to know?

Commander Keen wrote:
Should i kill Sonar? It should also be triggered by echolocation senses.

Commander Keen wrote:
Base Sonar on Radar.
As in kill Sonar or make it a prerequisite?
Back to top Go down
Lukas99
Newcomer
Lukas99

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 12:11 am

I'm guessing that the triggers could be activated by trading with a nation that has that tech, or is that not how it works?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Extended Research List
Page 9 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next