Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Extended Research List - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Extended Research List

Go down 
+21
Darkgamma
Redstar
caekdaemon
Waap
Xenopologist
Albalrogue
Tenebrarum
zotobom
Lukas99
Agrestrife
Poisson
Noitulove
roadkillguy
YourBreakfast
GamerXA
Invader
~sciocont
eumesmo
The Uteen
Commander Keen
US_of_Alaska
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

Extended Research List - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 5:09 pm

that research effect should be impacted by the government....

photography should be influenced by the spectrum they saw, with other spectrum discovered later..
if we saw things x-ray we would probably discover them earlier since we would be more concerned with it
if they were blind they need this not and could have things like sound recording and the radar!?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 5:29 pm

eumesmo wrote:
that research effect should be impacted by the government....

photography should be influenced by the spectrum they saw, with other spectrum discovered later..
if we saw things x-ray we would probably discover them earlier since we would be more concerned with it
if they were blind they need this not and could have things like sound recording and the radar!?
Which research? The ecology one?

I agree with you on the photography, but there is no need for the game to specify that.

And i agree that if blind, this research would be useless. As would Alphabet and Optics. So for all three of those i need alternate researches for species that have their dominant sense as smell, hearing, touch, echolocation... Anything else anyone can think of?
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 5:36 pm

the one affected is the ecology one, and a replacement to writting is quite dficult for humans to imagine... maybe braile?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 6:25 pm

Hunting should enable clothing (Leather).

Will their be any resource prerequisits? Like riquiring wood-like substance for wood crafting, or will it be taken as read?

Canals are something the player can come up with on his own, I would imagine.

Most Medieval societal thing fall into the stereotyped traps present in our society. For example: Serfs aren't forced to be serfs, they have the ability to come and go as they please. Guilds function as a city government with democratically elected officials, and vassalage is merely a way of appointing officials to govern small areas that are to insignificant and numerous for the king to personally oversee.

Music should be changed to written music. Music itself is present in all societies from the start, and should act as a way of preserving specific cultural aspects that normaly would fluctuate.

Chivalry should act as a code of ideals in warfare. All factions following the chivalric code will limit their military actions and dislike nations who do not. For example: No sneak attacks, no fighting on holy days, no attacking civilians, humane treatment of prisoners, etc.

Aesthetics should exist from the begining. All cultures, no matter how primitive, have art.

Alphabet is prevalent in non-sight critters, just in a different way. Sonar would have carving, Smell would have certain chemicals or a brail-like raised alphabet.

Bonuses given by a certain religion are increased the more prevalent said religion is.

Algebra should require mathamatics.

Most historians think the wheel was invented after potters, when the potters' wheel was turned on it's side.

Agriculture should allow construction of farms.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 1:45 am

eumesmo wrote:
the one affected is the ecology one, and a replacement to writting is quite dficult for humans to imagine... maybe braile?
Writing can easily be covered by "Record Keeping". But a feel alphabet is good for a dominant touch. Like, really good. So i think that Braille or Touch Alphabet would be well suited for a touch-sense equivalent. It's really smell i'm worried about getting one for. I mean, how do you store smell onto anything for later... smelling?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 11:53 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
What the Belgium? I'm sure I have already posted here today.

Zotobom's idea could be included in Ecology research. And that will be needed, you know. The only problem is that he is suggesting it for pre-industrial age, but at that time there isn't anything to worry about.
So you're just talking about making factories more efficient and less pollutive? That make sense.

Like I said, not if you wanted your planet to warm up, if you use thermosynthesis. Yes, there may be risk of increased radiation, but if done at the right speed, the guys will adapt. It could be beneficial to the population. Later on, they could have an advantage over other space faring species because they have increased radiation resistance. Short term and long term benefit from not researching this tech, now the problem is you can't get the benefit of more efficient factories, because if you do you will get much greater disadvantages...

Now onto the smelly problem... We just need some logical thinking. Writing began for recording and delivering speech. Delivering smells could use a material you rub on your body to make the thing smell of whatever you are stinking, and you then send it to another person and they smell your message. Recording smells would be harder, and would require something that smells itself (Not as in it has a nose and smells itself, it just smells of something). Then you could keep it somewhere and it will continue smelling until someone in the future finds it and sniffs it. They materials could be ordered/mixed to keep more information, and if you find you can't replicate a smell you could always find a substitute smell to represent it in writing.

Ah, smell writing. Smell writing sounds fun and bleurgh at the same time... I like that.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 12:03 pm

objects wich had smell could contain a int value inside to describe it. let's take the realism approach

imagine the value code was :

if a human smelled it, our weak noses would say it was 12371, but a dog would be more accurate and say it was 12342
the accouracy would depend on the amount of smell, the sensibility and the distance
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 12:53 pm

eumesmo wrote:
if a human smelled it, our weak noses would say it was 12371
Sounds a bit generous to me...

And I think in a very old topic we did talk about this method, it's good.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 4:07 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Like I said, not if you wanted your planet to warm up, if you use thermosynthesis. Yes, there may be risk of increased radiation, but if done at the right speed, the guys will adapt. It could be beneficial to the population. Later on, they could have an advantage over other space faring species because they have increased radiation resistance. Short term and long term benefit from not researching this tech, now the problem is you can't get the benefit of more efficient factories, because if you do you will get much greater disadvantages...

Ecology should just cover healthier environment. It might not be limiting global warming if it's your species goal, just not dumping all this radioactive waste into the nearest river.

BTW, having your species evolve would take millions of years, a lot more time than researching advanced genetic manipulation that would allow you to just genetically engineer your species as you want.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 5:02 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Now onto the smelly problem... We just need some logical thinking. Writing began for recording and delivering speech. Delivering smells could use a material you rub on your body to make the thing smell of whatever you are stinking, and you then send it to another person and they smell your message. Recording smells would be harder, and would require something that smells itself (Not as in it has a nose and smells itself, it just smells of something). Then you could keep it somewhere and it will continue smelling until someone in the future finds it and sniffs it. They materials could be ordered/mixed to keep more information, and if you find you can't replicate a smell you could always find a substitute smell to represent it in writing.
The problem is that smell fades with time and weathering. Granted, writing does too, but not to the same extent. The thing is that substituting smell for writing (much like we did with speech) will be impossible for blind organisms. In this case, maybe a touch alphabet would be the best bet for organisms that have bad or no sight...
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Has anyone here ever seen Red Dwarf... In it the Sapient Cat Race (long story...) coated smallish squares on a piece paper with a scent that the user had to put right up against their nose and sniff to read. Each smell to a human was pretty much the same, but to the cats they could distinguish between roughly 500 or more smells. This could have been used somewhat like Japanese or Chinese.

Also, speaking of Smelling, have we discussed in another location about disabilities such as Anosmia, Blindness or Hearing Impaired.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 2:28 am

GamerXA wrote:
Has anyone here ever seen Red Dwarf... In it the Sapient Cat Race (long story...) coated smallish squares on a piece paper with a scent that the user had to put right up against their nose and sniff to read. Each smell to a human was pretty much the same, but to the cats they could distinguish between roughly 500 or more smells. This could have been used somewhat like Japanese or Chinese.

Also, speaking of Smelling, have we discussed in another location about disabilities such as Anosmia, Blindness or Hearing Impaired.
Okay, so we're going with Alphabet for everything? Just Alphabet, Touch Alphabet and Smellphabet (sorry for the terrible pun...)? Any creature that doesn't have one of those senses fairly advanced is probably not sapient, am i right?
Back to top Go down
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 9:39 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

Okay, so we're going with Alphabet for everything? Just Alphabet, Touch Alphabet and Smellphabet (sorry for the terrible pun...)? Any creature that doesn't have one of those senses fairly advanced is probably not sapient, am i right?

You could also have hearing alphabet.

The hearing could work the smae way as a touch alphabet but instead of touching the letters, they send ultrasonic waves that will bounce back to the creature.

BTW, when you say "alphabet", do you mean alphabet as we know it or any kind of righting? like ieroglifs or ideograms. And I can recall that some native american tribes "wrote" mesages with strings of different colors (I'll have to research that more).
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:30 am

GamerXA wrote:
Has anyone here ever seen Red Dwarf....

I was just watching it again because this thread had reminded me of it.

All those alphabets will be included into one research, right?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 2:37 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
The problem is that smell fades with time and weathering.
Some materials can produce smells and so keep their smell for a very long time for smells. The smell rag that you rub on yourself would be the easy method for sending smells, but not for recording smells for a long time...

I like the name, smell rag.
"Hello, care to sniff my smell rag? It's smells particularly like croissant today."
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Quote :
The problem is that smell fades with time and weathering.

So does ink.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 5:38 pm

but the rate is different,

there could be species without a alphabet....
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:02 pm

eumesmo wrote:
but the rate is different,

there could be species without a alphabet....
Of course there will be. Until they discover it. It's a research. And the logical progression of written langauge from spoken is to have thousands of symbols that relate directly to objects or actions (cuneiform, hieroglyphs), then to have symbols that relate to the sounds words are made up of (alphabet). An alphabet is simply more efficient and flexible. It makes sense, basically.

Of course, species that have different dominant senses will be different. Which is why i want everyone to really think about how their record keeping would evolve.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 3:00 am

There are four primary kinds of writing systems:
* Syllabary - Where syllables are represented by a symbol, such as Hiragana in Japanese.
* Abjads - Where the vowels are excluded and taken from context, such as Hebrew.
* Alphabets - Where each symbol represents a single sound, such as English, or better, Esperanto.
* Logograms - Where each symbol represents an Idea or Concept, such as Chinese and Kanji in Japanese.

Species that have different dominant senses would be best suited to one of these. Smell being Logograms, possibly Abjads or a Syllabary; Hearing most likely not having one that relates to hearing at all; Taste (being probably unlikely) would be like smell; Touch being anything but Logograms; and Sight of course would be any of them.

Other senses such as Electrical Sensing would be unlikely to have any possible writing system that would relate to it, though might have.

The methods of writing the System would most likely start with Engraving, this suits Touch and Sight perfectly but does not have any use for taste or smell. Using fruits, rocks and all sorts of other smells that would not fade over at least a short period of time; to create smells or tastes that could be used.

I think I might have strayed a bit off topic here.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 10:27 pm

GamerXA wrote:
There are four primary kinds of writing systems:
* Syllabary - Where syllables are represented by a symbol, such as Hiragana in Japanese.
* Abjads - Where the vowels are excluded and taken from context, such as Hebrew.
* Alphabets - Where each symbol represents a single sound, such as English, or better, Esperanto.
* Logograms - Where each symbol represents an Idea or Concept, such as Chinese and Kanji in Japanese.

Species that have different dominant senses would be best suited to one of these. Smell being Logograms, possibly Abjads or a Syllabary; Hearing most likely not having one that relates to hearing at all; Taste (being probably unlikely) would be like smell; Touch being anything but Logograms; and Sight of course would be any of them.

Other senses such as Electrical Sensing would be unlikely to have any possible writing system that would relate to it, though might have.

The methods of writing the System would most likely start with Engraving, this suits Touch and Sight perfectly but does not have any use for taste or smell. Using fruits, rocks and all sorts of other smells that would not fade over at least a short period of time; to create smells or tastes that could be used.

I think I might have strayed a bit off topic here.
No. I think that was helpful. Could you maybe turn these ideas and concepts into researches that are similar to alphabet?

Also, humans have dominant sight and sound. Other species might have a similar two-sense deal happening.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 12:05 am

While we are on the topic of written languages, how would Braille fit into all this?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 1:37 am

InvaderZim wrote:
While we are on the topic of written languages, how would Braille fit into all this?
Braille is a written language, it's just that it's touch read. So after Record-Keeping, a blind species would be able to research Alphabet like any species with sight. This is all if they have sound/hearing as a dominant sense and communication of course, or else it will be called something else. Which, really is all i'm looking for. A broader term of "Alphabet" that isn't as basic as "Advanced Writing" or "Efficient Writing".
Back to top Go down
zotobom
Newcomer
zotobom

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 2:46 am

I personelly think IMHO that braille must be a research. But it has to be an ''dead end'' research. Cause i dont really see a research that requires Braille. But you could research it ifninite times. The first time it adds a little happiness,second time more etc etc. WHy are they happy? Cause the blind can read now to.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 2:51 am

Braille is an alphabet, so it does not need any additional researches.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 3:24 am

Perhaps it might also need the research of 'Impairment Support', with maybe another name for that research.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extended Research List   Extended Research List - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Extended Research List
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next