Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

From a Colony of Cells to an Organism

Go down 
+14
Redstar
US_of_Alaska
Noitulove
Tenebrarum
Smothmoth
Commander Keen
~sciocont
Xenopologist
Darkgamma
specialk2121
kaosrain
The Uteen
andry796
Pezzalis
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Empty
PostSubject: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 3:15 am

Title says it all.

This is basically my Early Multicellular concept thread :]

RedStar's Microbe stage Concept
(Bolded are parts I've added and need to be worked on)
Spoiler:

My rough concept of early Multicellular stage:
Spoiler:

So. Its not finished. There is much to think about, to add, to erase or to develop.

~Things to Discuss~

~AUTO EVO - Is it possible with this concept. How?

~Multicellular structures and specialized cells for:
~Thermosynthetics Colonies
~Photosynthetics Colonies
~Respiratory Colonies

~Assimilation of other cells in Microbial stage and their effect on Multicellular colonies.

~Any ideas here you like or do not like.

~Reproduction of individual cells and entire colonies

Ta

Last edited by Pezzalis on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:37 am

mmmmm...
Sorry but I don't like the absorb-and-get-skills system, no way.
I think that "skills" should be given by the auto-evo (however we are still discussing on how auto evo will work).

But I have a question: why has the visual to be 2d in cell mode? I don't think in real life cells move only right, left, front, back!

In my opinion the hardest thing in this discussion would be choose how the cell-multicell transition will look like.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 11:15 am

Wow, I hadn't noticed that second concept before, it's good.

But colonies of cells, and the ability to... Send cells away from the colony, I think? As well as the different kind of 3rd dimensional navigation, well, that sounds like another stage of gameplay! That's not a bad thing, it's allows continuous flow between cell and multi-cellular (which may need renaming if this becomes and official 'stage'), which I like the sound of.

@andry: I suppose cell could be 3D, it could work sort of like the current smell sense concept... In fact, we could make it exactly the same (replacing the smell description and smell code) and it would work fine. Maybe we could change the smell clouds, and make them more watery/fluid, to keep the senses different.

hang on, for anyone confused about the above paragraph, the current idea for cell's 'senses' (I think) is that cells send out chemicals and can identify other cells with them... Or something like that. The cells will not have eyes!
Back to top Go down
kaosrain
Newcomer
kaosrain

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 11:55 am

¿How exactly do you "absorb" other cells?
i think we should start drawing concepts of the extra basic cells

¿Also the other cells evolve by absorbing too, right?
...¡¡¡Colony stage!!!!

Last edited by kaosrain on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
specialk2121
Newcomer
specialk2121

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 12:25 pm

andry796 wrote:
mmmmm...
I think that "skills" should be given by the auto-evo (however we are still discussing on how auto evo will work).

I actually like the eat and get skill
IT s kind of like in spore when you ate more plants than meat you became a herbivore
so if you eat mainly light eaters you become a light eater

(PS. i don't think were doing auto-evolve yet)
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 4:41 pm

specialk2121 wrote:
andry796 wrote:
mmmmm...

I actually like the eat and get skill
IT s kind of like in spore when you ate more plants than meat you became a herbivore
so if you eat mainly light eaters you become a light eater

(PS. i don't think were doing auto-evolve yet)

We aren't going to make it like spore...
Back to top Go down
specialk2121
Newcomer
specialk2121

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 4:45 pm

andry796 wrote:

We aren't going to make it like spore...

I know were arnt
but i think that is a good comparison to what this
( it s at least what it reminded me of)
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 7:32 pm

andry796 wrote:
mmmmm...

As crazy as it sounds this is actually based of the endosymbiotic theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endosymbiotic_theory

Note that this kind of assimilation will only work in single cells and will not be possible once you are multicellular.

Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 7:01 pm

andry796 wrote:

In my opinion the hardest thing in this discussion would be choose how the cell-multicell transition will look like.

There's this single-celled real-life thing, think it's called Paramecium, that has one cell and two cellular nexii (think that's what they're called), and it has properties of both unicellular and dicellular beings, tho it has one cell.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Darkgamma wrote:
andry796 wrote:

There's this single-celled real-life thing, think it's called Paramecium, that has one cell and two cellular nexii (think that's what they're called), and it has properties of both unicellular and dicellular beings, tho it has one cell.

Don't think its paramecium they are typically unicellular...
I don't think the transition from cellular to multicellular would be difficult... Its more or less controlling two or more cells instead of one...

I Think the hardest part is going from seemingly 2D multicellular as a large colony to a fully 3D Organism...

Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
I don't think the transition from cellular to multicellular would be difficult... Its more or less controlling two or more cells instead of one...

I Think the hardest part is going from seemingly 2D multicellular as a large colony to a fully 3D Organism...

I still dislike the idea of this being a sharp stage division; every other transition except this one seems to "flow" quite well. Perhaps there could be some sort of gradual shift in perspective from a plane -> a point where the player can begin traveling between layers of 2D space -> 3D space of Multicellular.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 10:54 pm

Xenopologist wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:

I still dislike the idea of this being a sharp stage division; every other transition except this one seems to "flow" quite well. Perhaps there could be some sort of gradual shift in perspective from a plane -> a point where the player can begin traveling between layers of 2D space -> 3D space of Multicellular.
QFT- we need a good smooth transition.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 12:44 am

~sciocont wrote:
Xenopologist wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:

QFT- we need a good smooth transition.

Wait so is it the transition of

A) Single celled --> Multicellular

OR

B) Multicellular 2D --> 3D

If (A) I guess it could begin with more cells of your species flocking together and eventually bonding to one another.

If (B) I guess it could begin at a given colony size that you can dive up and down the Z Axis but this will be restricted due to pressures and light levels etc, then later on you can dive much more freely and now it will be more or less full 3D except the camera will be locked at the top down view.

How it will then smoothly go to a fully 3D rotatable camera... I am at a loss.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 7:07 am

Pezzalis wrote:
If (B) I guess it could begin at a given colony size that you can dive up and down the Z Axis but this will be restricted due to pressures and light levels etc, then later on you can dive much more freely and now it will be more or less full 3D except the camera will be locked at the top down view.

This is the same problem as with Strategy mode. We might aswell enable 3d camera from the beginning and make it useless (with a lot of blue fog or something). Then later on in multicellular, we might give the player a hint that the 3d camera is no longer as useless as it was before.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:

This is the same problem as with Strategy mode. We might aswell enable 3d camera from the beginning and make it useless (with a lot of blue fog or something). Then later on in multicellular, we might give the player a hint that the 3d camera is no longer as useless as it was before.

A hint? A dialogue box? If you mean that, I don't think that is needed. Just get rid of the blue fog, that should be enough. The fog could be removed with the evolution of some sort of primitive sense. Well, unicellular would still have that chemical thing to 'see' around them a bit, but some sort of sense that makes use of the variety of cells in a multi-cellular organism would be more effective, and so clear the fog a bit.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Yeah, but how will the player know he can use the 3D cam now? Thats why I proposed the hint.
Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Yeah, but how will the player know he can use the 3D cam now? Thats why I proposed the hint.

Hints could feel too intrusive into the flow of gameplay if they're done wrong. A pop-up box would just feel out of place in the current concept, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 4:20 am

Xenopologist wrote:
Hints could feel too intrusive into the flow of gameplay if they're done wrong. A pop-up box would just feel out of place in the current concept, in my opinion.

I know, but how we can tell the player to use the 3d cam?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:17 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Xenopologist wrote:

I know, but how we can tell the player to use the 3d cam?
I think we should make the transition go through strategy mode. Once you have assimilated enough cells, you shoud be able to use them like individual units, correct?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 5:25 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I think we should make the transition go through strategy mode. Once you have assimilated enough cells, you shoud be able to use them like individual units, correct?

What? How could you control individual cells in a multicellular organism by clicking on them? I'm starting to think I'm missing something important...
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

What? How could you control individual cells in a multicellular organism by clicking on them? I'm starting to think I'm missing something important...
Early multicellular orgs are really clumps of individual single-cells working together. I think you should be able to use strategy mode in cell gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 6:25 am

But that would be quite strange, giving player Strategy mode in early Multicellular, then (practically) removing it in later, only to give it back in Awakening.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
But that would be quite strange, giving player Strategy mode in early Multicellular, then (practically) removing it in later, only to give it back in Awakening.
I think you should be abl to access it ay time multiple members of your species can work together.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Strategy mode allows to use strategy though, wich normally require high brain capacity. No non-sapient creatures can use strategy, so we shouldn't allow it too.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 4:47 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Strategy mode allows to use strategy though, wich normally require high brain capacity. No non-sapient creatures can use strategy, so we shouldn't allow it too.
Plenty of creatures use strategy
-falcons
-whales
-sharks
-praying mantis

And you're a human being, meaning you can use strategy whenever you like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism Empty

Back to top Go down

From a Colony of Cells to an Organism
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next