Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos.

Go down 

Which is the better Revolutionary Games logo?
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c23%Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 23% [ 3 ]
Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c77%Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 77% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. Empty
PostDevblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos.

Earlier this week, PCaddict was kind enough to set us up a Facebook Page. Now those of you who are on facebook can go and "like" it, or do so straight from our Portal page. That's right, we've gone social. Now on to important things...

AUTO-EVO LIVES
That's right, we've brought it back, with a lot of mixing and matching of concepts, and we've created a simple, yet dazzlingly useful group of solutions, which are using all sorts of real-world processes. it's actually really exciting, especially considering the new addition to the game, which I will discuss shortly. Actually, I'll discuss it right now. But seriously, read that thread, roadkillguy spent a lot of time on that.

Biomes are basically specific environments that exist on planets. They determine how many and what kind of organisms populate a planet, and where they end up. Read up on Biomes and suggsest alterations to the general concept here. Also, check out Djohaal's old diagram of biomes in the game. Finally, to write up your own biomes, go to the Official Biome List, and If you don't know if your idea is good enough, or you don't have a full Biome idea yet, discuss your thoughts here.

There's been some interesting stuff happening with how we view and make the tech tree. Right now, Alaska has a poll up where you can vote for which version of tech advancement you like the best.

And, the final "important" part of this message, Logos.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Vote for which one you like best.

And look at the "statistics" box on the left of your screen. Specifically, at the overall post count. That's right kids...
Spoiler:

scio OUT!
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos. :: Comments

Great to hear about Auto-Evo! I'm so happy that this project can start being real again.

I like the wide version more, for reasons i don't completely understand.
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Great to hear about Auto-Evo! I'm so happy that this project can start being real again.

I like the wide version more, for reasons i don't completely understand.
I've no clue why the site formats the blog like this. Oh, wait, you were talking about logos.
I like the logo #2 the best.

Also, nice things we got OVER 9000 posts.
Commander Keen wrote:
I like the logo #2 the best.

Also, nice things we got OVER 9000 posts.
Vote for it if you haven't.
Can someone please link me the threads tying auto-evo to biomes?

having been away and pulling apart a 300zx i haven't been able to read every post on every thread

As far as I can see though, theres still no concencus on the actual evolution/generation/whatever method for the creatures themselves. although having given it alot of thought, there are some possible directions we can take, but i'm not going there until i've caught up on this auto-evo revival
Bashinerox wrote:
Can someone please link me the threads tying auto-evo to biomes?

having been away and pulling apart a 300zx i haven't been able to read every post on every thread

As far as I can see though, theres still no concencus on the actual evolution/generation/whatever method for the creatures themselves. although having given it alot of thought, there are some possible directions we can take, but i'm not going there until i've caught up on this auto-evo revival
i believe it was discussed on auto-evo is dead. Let me find a link...
Discussing "niches" startedon page 11 here.
The really nice thing about biomes is they tell us where we're actually going to run Auto-evo. probably just in the biome your species fits into.
We have a Facebook page... Yay.

Hooray for the return of auto-evo!

Hadn't noticed that poll. But I've voted now.

I like logo #2, the other one would need to be a bit too big the read the (vertical) writing... #2 is more practical.
(Wohoo! I worked out how to type #, as well as these: ¡€#¢∞§¶•ªº–≠)

9000 messages! Actually, it's closer to 10000 now. We're a chatty lot.
I have a bad feeling we may have missed something big with Auto-Evo. Ah well. We'll know soon enough! (Thanks Bashi!)
Why hello again.

I've gone over the most active topics of the moment (E.G. how auto-evo should be handled). I'm pretty bad with those sorts of things, so I probably won't be able to contribute so much for the time being.

But anyway, there's one thing I do have to contribute. The logo looks nice, but for a moment it didn't seem readable. I think that's because it was the same one we went over a few months ago, just with some of those "shards" added. It's a nice touch, if not a bit distracting, but the logo is the most important part.

Maybe have the logo inside one of those "shards" somehow and make it white/transparent instead of black?
Now that I think about it, it's not exactly auto-evo to me. It's more like "Evolution within predefined constraints"

Auto evo seems more like the player's actions affecting the player's creature.

@Bashi

Basically, because organism fitness will vary from niche to niche, I figured we would compare the organism to the niche through the scripting language.

We then randomize the critters and compare them to new and existing niches. They are then admitted into the most fitting (if fitting enough) niche.

My only qualms with this are:

1. Will randomization prove to let an organism into a niche?
2. Will organisms be able to remain in their niche even though they're randomized each generation?

I think we can find a balance somewhere. It's all in the tweaking.

Other than that, it seems ok to me.
Noitulove wrote:
Why hello again.

I've gone over the most active topics of the moment (E.G. how auto-evo should be handled). I'm pretty bad with those sorts of things, so I probably won't be able to contribute so much for the time being.

But anyway, there's one thing I do have to contribute. The logo looks nice, but for a moment it didn't seem readable. I think that's because it was the same one we went over a few months ago, just with some of those "shards" added. It's a nice touch, if not a bit distracting, but the logo is the most important part.

Maybe have the logo inside one of those "shards" somehow and make it white/transparent instead of black?
Taken into consideration.

Devblog #8: Auto-Evo Lives, Biomes, Tech (Tree?), Facebook and Logos.

Page 1 of 1