Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Concept Art Thread

Go down 
+114
Ymedron
timetraveler
Tritium
CardoTheTripodKing
PortalFan1000
MirrorMonkey2
crovea
EVanimations
Evol4fire
Synpho Death
Immortal_Dragon
Totemaster
ThePoisonchocolate
Moterhead97
Pakpuk
PerfectOrganismil
NikolaAnicic007
Botifier
Atrox
Cellular Dinosaur
Inca
MrIdeaMan
TheFellowWithTheHat
AwesomeSiebren
DeanDactyl
Jimexmore
penumbra espinosa
Shafty
Banja
M3rox
Cocogolem
tjblazer85
pentomid
Secondkingstons
Tré Wisemen
DesertBeagle
nziswat
Jiko
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Narnobie123
WJacobC
ExtraSolar
Daniferrito
untrustedlife
RodGame
Nimbal
Monstahart
WilliamstheJohn
HAL-9000
CoolGuyChris
NickTheNick
Oliveriver
Juodvarnis
Thriving Cheese
Hegataro
PandaVirus
Dilophoraptor
decelis93
Rorsten594
Calfeggs
Gawbad
Orygandian2
jaws2blood
PTFace
Brennus
Doggit
uverion
MeowMan1
Zetal
tklarenb
ido66667
lbrewer
BastianKraft
P3DR0PS
Angelic
Liom
Dudeman
Thrivial Pursuit
Mysterious_Calligrapher
ThriveVisitor
Djohaal
andry796
kaosrain
ParadoxJuice
Darkgamma
ThatGuy
fredpie
Poisson
caekdaemon
AssassinBlue
2creator
MassimoV
Tenebrarum
Slathazer
Brown Spotted Kiwi
Gotrol
Albalrogue
eumesmo
Invader
Darkov
roadkillguy
Commander Keen
Partydood
Pezzalis
Waap
Noitulove
The Uteen
S. Scott
DragonEye4
Falthron
~sciocont
GamerXA
US_of_Alaska
ADMIN
118 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 24 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Ascension gates's size would really depend on the player, and logically, bigger size means exponentially bigger energy requirement. I doubt the gate would be as big as on Andry's concept, but many gates would be big enough to allow massive ships to go through.

Also, as you said, Rex, more creative concepts than Stargates would be nice. Gotrol's one is awesome, and from all gate concepts I would stick with his, however from engineering viewpoint making it circular would be a huge bonus (because of the portal/vortex/rip/whateveritis).
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:55 am

Commander Keen wrote:
(because of the portal/vortex/rip/whateveritis).

It's a tear in space-time caused by the black hole in the center of the galaxy, a source of great energy and allowing the physics-defying god machines to work. No particular shape, though, so it can look however people want, including 3D (It isn't technically a tear, it is a fault in the structure in the universe, it generally wont be flat). The ascension gate itself is the means of stabilisation, allowing people to pass through without having their every atom torn apart and obliterated. It is the kind of thing that you sound like a complete strange nerd (AKA The Doctor :P) when you talk about it, that's how immense this thing is!

And one thing I've noticed about quite a few of these concepts is... Well... While they all look great, the actual gate's structure looks a lot like a big boring metal hoop - it doesn't seem to have any sense of great purpose, for something that is channeling a huge amount of energy through a ultra-rare phenomenon in the center of the galaxy to stabilise it. I'd like to see ascension gates with a bit more power, and purpose, if you know what I mean.

Oh, and, reasons the ascension gate should be bigger:
  • The tear is powerful and dangerous, the builders of the ascension gate wont want to get right up close to it. As I said earlier, get to close to the unstable tear and you'll get your every atom torn apart and obliterated.
  • Bigger size allows more people to pass through.
  • More size allows all this energy to be emitted from the surrounding gate structure more safely.
  • If this thing is big enough, entire planets could be sent through, meaning less vessels need to be constructed and so less time and resources.
  • Epic size = Epic occasion. Not really a reason but you see my point with this... Point.

And I managed to make bullet points work properly this time.

And going on what I said about it being 3D, this does mean it doesn't have to be a huge donut - It could be a dyson sphere-ish thing, with a gap in it for entry, like a giant eye.
Or whatever else you could imagine a structure passing incredible energy through a 3D tear (A fault in the structure of the universe, actually. ~The Doctor in my mind) allowing safe passage through (Ascension) would look like.
Back to top Go down
Gotrol
Art Team Lead
Gotrol

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:35 am

Artistically wise, it is much more interesting to make ascension something which is frightening and painful to undergo rather than “en-masse” easy happening, at least in the earlier tech stages.

Your first game ascension must be something you will never forget, and something that changes your feel of the game. For that pivotal point it would be interesting to show the creatures discomfort and pain as it undergoes transformation because it is not easy to die.

Maybe for the first couple ascensions we should have a success percentage mechanism, as in, for example, you have a 10% chance to survive ascension and 90% you fail and the creature dies painfully, etc… no? Am I being to sadistic? Stop me if I am =) anyhow…. This is offtopic.
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:43 am

The Uteen wrote:
If this thing is big enough, entire planets could be sent through, meaning less vessels need to be constructed and so less time and resources.

I agree especially on this!
Back to top Go down
kaosrain
Newcomer
kaosrain

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Mine will be a crack on the skin of the universe from doctorwho !!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Gotrol wrote:
Artistically wise, it is much more interesting to make ascension something which is frightening and painful to undergo rather than “en-masse” easy happening, at least in the earlier tech stages.

Your first game ascension must be something you will never forget, and something that changes your feel of the game. For that pivotal point it would be interesting to show the creatures discomfort and pain as it undergoes transformation because it is not easy to die.

Maybe for the first couple ascensions we should have a success percentage mechanism, as in, for example, you have a 10% chance to survive ascension and 90% you fail and the creature dies painfully, etc… no? Am I being to sadistic? Stop me if I am =) anyhow…. This is offtopic.
That's not a bad idea at all, it really makes the player get attached to the Idea.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Gotrol wrote:

That is actually a very beautiful depiction of it, though I think we should have a higher chance of successful ascension.

And why does it have to be so big? I mean, artistically speaking, you hit a point where size is no longer awe-inspiring.
Douglas Adams wrote:
Actually, he did not see infinity. Infinity is too large to comprehend, and is therefore flat and uninteresting. What he saw was merely something really, really big.
If it's the size of a very large building, only able to ascened one or two people at a time, (Though still towering over them) then the effect tends to be far more dramatic.

IMHO.

Also, there's only so many things you can do with a free-floating mechanism. There's actually a lot more possablilities for something sitting on the surface of something.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Props for the Adams quote, Rex.
Spoiler:
A creature speedpainting- nothing spectacular, but it thought you might want to see it.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Wow.... That's actually amazing...
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks. Facebook and DeviantArt agree with you.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 7:41 am

~sciocont wrote:
Thanks. Facebook and DeviantArt agree with you.

Me too.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:53 am

I don't like the idea of one in ten surviving, that would get annoying, but I agree on the thing about making it big - constructing it would be a huge thing, with all the resources, energy, and time needed. But going through that gate in organism mode is something we really should make our player do. This thing is going to be... At least almost the size of the moon, to safely channel all the energy without creating a huge explosion due to too much energy, and to keep builders a safe distance from the fault. Going through that in organism mode would be huge thing, any ideas why they would need to, though?

I've got it: They need to go through in organism mode because the citizens are all fearful of going through themselves, incase it doesn't work and they die.

Just imagine it:
Ascension

The species would have past experience - the discoverer of the mysterious fault in the structure of space-time would have tried to go through and died - been completely obliterated from existence, every atom torn apart - people would have researched it later on, but that fear of it's power would remain. The player must go into organism mode, and offer to go through themselves. Then, they approach it, alone - no crew would offer to join, they are terrified - and the gate gets bigger, and bigger, becoming a vast disk, they pass through the safety line, the dead zone, the power in the ship dies, due to the effects of all the energy being channeled through the gap, something which also emits incredible amounts of radiation, and with the controls down, there's no turning back. Everything's dead, and silence falls, as the organism drifts towards the huge disk. Light fills the ship as it enters the energy field, and slowly the ship begins to vanish into whiteness. You pass through the gate, and the Thrive theme begins to play.

And after that? I'm leaving that up to you.

I think at ascension, the theme playing again, just like at the start of the game, would really people think of this as the real end of the game, making the player feel how important the occasion is. Inform the music team - the music must be INCREDIBLE!
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Please, continue the ascension discussion in the appropriate thread.
Back to top Go down
Gotrol
Art Team Lead
Gotrol

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Please, continue the ascension discussion in the appropriate thread.

QFT
Back to top Go down
ThriveVisitor
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 4:50 am

Spore had a dream

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwhCFLHhAg
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 6:52 am

ThriveVisitor wrote:
Spore had a dream

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwhCFLHhAg

And that dream became a nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVH9Q8M8eaQ

Very nice concept art video there
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 6:13 am

So heres a lazy throw together of a concept I've been visualizing. Perhaps someone with more graphical skill should take a better approach to the concept, at the moment I'm thinking something like this for box, concept or main menu art :]

Cytokinesis
Spoiler:

Basically the merging galaxies; among the larges things we will come across in Thrive are meant to be symbolic of dividing cells; the smallest things we will come across in Thrive.
But this was a rushed, unpolished job. I may try make it look better but it wont be great which is why I have suggested for someone else who wants to take a more artful approach to it :]
Back to top Go down
Gotrol
Art Team Lead
Gotrol

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 6:42 pm

'Tis good stuff, however there is one thing that bothers me. Why are there stars spread on their own at REGULAR density outside the merging galaxies? I'd asume the star saturation would be denser closer to the galaxies and more sparse closer to outer space. Correct me if I am wrong, just trying to put constructive criticism into smth that looks good already =)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 12:29 am

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 6:30 am

Wow, looks great Scio!
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Wow, looks great Scio!
What is it?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Nature.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Wow, looks great Scio!
What is it?
It's a waterfall.
Back to top Go down
MassimoV
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 pm

A waterfall, do you think there could be creatures like angle fish in the game?
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 9:43 pm

MassimoV wrote:
A waterfall, do you think there could be creatures like angle fish in the game?

Ooh, you just gave me an idea!

And in my opinion--yes, I do think we should include creatures finding a way around dark places.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Concept Art Thread
Page 14 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 24 ... 35  Next