Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Concept Art Thread

Go down 
+114
Ymedron
timetraveler
Tritium
CardoTheTripodKing
PortalFan1000
MirrorMonkey2
crovea
EVanimations
Evol4fire
Synpho Death
Immortal_Dragon
Totemaster
ThePoisonchocolate
Moterhead97
Pakpuk
PerfectOrganismil
NikolaAnicic007
Botifier
Atrox
Cellular Dinosaur
Inca
MrIdeaMan
TheFellowWithTheHat
AwesomeSiebren
DeanDactyl
Jimexmore
penumbra espinosa
Shafty
Banja
M3rox
Cocogolem
tjblazer85
pentomid
Secondkingstons
Tré Wisemen
DesertBeagle
nziswat
Jiko
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Narnobie123
WJacobC
ExtraSolar
Daniferrito
untrustedlife
RodGame
Nimbal
Monstahart
WilliamstheJohn
HAL-9000
CoolGuyChris
NickTheNick
Oliveriver
Juodvarnis
Thriving Cheese
Hegataro
PandaVirus
Dilophoraptor
decelis93
Rorsten594
Calfeggs
Gawbad
Orygandian2
jaws2blood
PTFace
Brennus
Doggit
uverion
MeowMan1
Zetal
tklarenb
ido66667
lbrewer
BastianKraft
P3DR0PS
Angelic
Liom
Dudeman
Thrivial Pursuit
Mysterious_Calligrapher
ThriveVisitor
Djohaal
andry796
kaosrain
ParadoxJuice
Darkgamma
ThatGuy
fredpie
Poisson
caekdaemon
AssassinBlue
2creator
MassimoV
Tenebrarum
Slathazer
Brown Spotted Kiwi
Gotrol
Albalrogue
eumesmo
Invader
Darkov
roadkillguy
Commander Keen
Partydood
Pezzalis
Waap
Noitulove
The Uteen
S. Scott
DragonEye4
Falthron
~sciocont
GamerXA
US_of_Alaska
ADMIN
118 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
Monstahart
Newcomer
Monstahart

Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks I'll get to work
Back to top Go down
http://monstahart.deviantart.com
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Also, make sure to do concept work on different cells and organelles. These tasks require a little research, but will be very useful for modellers who need to know how to make the cells and organelles look like.
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:33 pm

I think the first sprites that we need are those. Those needs to be 2D drawing(from my understanding) :

- Organelle to be able to add them in the Microbe editor that will be done early in the project
- Proto-cells that our cell will be eating to gain new organelle
- Ressources that we'll be getting on the ground, when other microbes get killed(i.e Sugar...)

For the player's microbe, I don't think we need a lot of art apart from the organelles and some texture. Most of it will be procedurally generated in the Microbe editor from my understanding.

I don't know yet about the others microbes. Should they be procedurally generated like the player's microbe or should they be premade sprites ? I think procedurally generated microbes the second would fit in the Thrive idea and would allow more flexibility in the other microbes appearance. It would also means player's microbe behavior/design would be similar to AI's microbe. It would be more complicated than simple sprite thought.

A list of what sprite are needed should be made and all asset made by member should be stored somewhere for easy access for the devloppers. We'll need at least Organelles and Proto-Cell pretty soon and it should be priorized. Someone willing to work on arts assets while taking some responsibility could easily take this job and give us a great help. Anyone is willing to help structure the arts asset creation ?

edit :

I had overlooked Nimbal post above. I totally agree with him. I'm personally pretty bad at designing nice GUI and I would like artist to give input/design it. It will then be easier to implement it while having a straightforward idea of what we want.

And as Nimbal said, go nuts in this. We want cool and innovative concept. We'll figure afterward how/if implementation will be done.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for reminding me Rod. Now that I'm off vacation I can revive the thread I used to manage the art assets. I have links to most of the art already done on the OP of this thread.

However, I need a list of organelles and other stuff to add to the OP. I would like someone to run down on what needs models and what doesn't, and lastly I will take some time right now to clear up the Mediafire download link I posted. It is missing some assets and has some defunct ones.

Any artists reading this, go check out the thread I linked and start contributing if you can. I'll make sure to mark down your name on our list of artists if you do.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 11:39 pm

Yeah, the idea is for all of the microbes to be generated procedurally. We'll have to talk about how to do that at length somewhere.
Things we should model:
flagellum
lamellipodes
Predatory Pilus
Conjugal Nuclei
Mitochondria
Chloroplasts
Thermoplasts
Slime Gland

Things we should use sprites/textures for:
cilia
bacteria on the film layer
free-living bacteria
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 am

When I google shearched Thermoplasts in the pictures section it just came up a lot of pictures of plastic tools and other plastic objects
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 am

Thriving Cheese wrote:
When I google shearched Thermoplasts in the pictures section it just came up a lot of pictures of plastic tools and other plastic objects

Have you noticed google to google says:,,Showing results for Thermoplastics''
Under it, it show: Show results for Thremoplasts.Strangely, when i opened it, it shoved me some machinery.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:26 pm

WilliamstheJohn wrote:
Thriving Cheese wrote:

Have you noticed google to google says:,,Showing results for Thermoplastics''
Under it, it show: Show results for Thremoplasts.Strangely, when i opened it, it shoved me some machinery.
And something tells me that Sciocont didn't meen that our microbes were gonna be able to have machinery in them...

BTW, Should you be able to see the inside of the Chloroplasts?

EDIT: how many polygons should they be?
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:40 pm

For informational sake, Thermoplastic are plastic that are formed using temperature, you heat it and put it on a mold. Then you apply a pressure to mold it. It's one of the cheapest way to obtain the shape you want and is used in everyday object.

On topic :
A good reflex is to search with more details, Thermoplast organelle, thermoplast bactery, thermoplast microbe....

However, it doesn't show that much more information(thermoplast organelle give some image but I think it comes from organelle more than thermoplast).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think thermoplast doesn't exist in real-life but is derived from Chloroplast for our game purposes. It would mean that you could have an organism pulling energy from heat instead of sun. Only thing I find when searching thermoplast organelle is Thrive forum in first, and some information about thermoplastic in bacteria.

So take the Chloroplast, and try to give it more a look of "heat-energy-generator" instead of "light-energy-generator". I know know an accurate answer, but give it a try and be creative!

edit for the edit above my post :

I think they shouldn't be modeled in 3D but should be sprite instead. This should be decided as I've seen this discussion many times. As a number of polygon if we go 3D, I think that 100 would already be a big number considering it will be pretty small on the screen and doesn't need much details. You can have decent 3D human under 500 poly.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Correct, thermoplasts don't exist outside of our game concept- I imagine them to be black, maybe fuzzy, fibrous organelles.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:58 am

~sciocont wrote:
Correct, thermoplasts don't exist outside of our game concept- I imagine them to be black, maybe fuzzy, fibrous organelles.
I'd imagined them red/orange and a little brown, with something similiar to a heater...
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 8:51 am

I'm open to see whatever comes up.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 9:44 am

I think Chloroplasts should be the same color as the opposite of the sunlight,

On earth chloroplasts are green, this is because at green they get the most energy(absorb the most light in there situation)
however if our sun was red, I think chloroplasts would be black because that way they get the most energy because red is at the end of the spectrum. So they need all the energy they can get.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 9:57 am

untrustedlife wrote:

On earth chloroplasts are green, this is because at green they get the most energy(absorb the most light in there situation)
however if our sun was red, I think chloroplasts would be black because that way they get the most energy because red is at the end of the spectrum. So they need all the energy they can get.
Can we do like in minecraft then, where the grasses texture is actually greyscale, and then can get many different colours depending in the biome.
That we uses greyscale texture for it, wich we then can add colour to depending on the sun, in game?
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:22 am

Thriving Cheese wrote:
untrustedlife wrote:

On earth chloroplasts are green, this is because at green they get the most energy(absorb the most light in there situa
tion)
Can we do like in minecraft then, where the grasses texture is actually greyscale, and then can get many different colours depending in the biome.
That we uses greyscale texture for it, wich we then can add colour to depending on the sun, in game?

Hmmmm... I think so.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:37 am

What's you gonna see on your gui? (ATP,nutrients,main menu button, chat window,map etc.)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Thriving Cheese wrote:
untrustedlife wrote:

Good idea- we already have info on the different colors we should use depending on light.
Quote :

Anyhow, this can be used as a chlorophyll guide because the Transmitted light (i believe you mean reflected light) is the leaf's visible color, and the Absorbed Light is the wavelengths that it wants to absorb. If leaves are maximized to the dominant color being put out of their star, or something pretty close, we have chlorophyll sorted with this handy chart.
Notice that multiple pigmentations are possible - on earth, plum-colored (purple, according to my chem book) leaves are not as common as green leaves, but we definitely have a range of yellow green through blue green leaves, which match up well with a star primarily putting out yellow light. They're enough out of phase to prevent overheating.

Star Color: Red Leaf Absorbtions: Blue Violet, violet, purple Leaf Color Orange, Yellow orange, yellow
Star Color: Orange Leaf Absorbtions: Violet, purple, red Leaf Color: yellow orange, yellow, yellow green
Star Color: Yellow Orange Leaf Absorbtions: Purple, red, Orange Leaf Color: yellow, yellow-green, green
Star Color: Yellow, leaf Absorbtions: Red, orange- yellow orange, purple leaf coloryellow green, green, blue green
Star Color: Yellow Green, (doesn't exist)Leaf Absorbtions: Red, Orange, Yellow, Leaf color: green, blue green, blue
Star Color: Green, (doesn't exist) Leaf Absorbtions: Orange, Yellow, Yellow Green, Leaf color: Blue green, blue, blue violet
Star Color: Green blue, (doesn't exist) Leaf Absorbtions: Yellow, Yellow Green, Green Leaf Color: Blue, blue violet, Purple
Star Color: Blue, Leaf Absorbtions: Yellow Green, Green, Blue Green, Leaf Color: Blue Violet, Violet, Purple, maybe some red
Star Color: blue Violet Leaf Absorbtions: Green, Blue Green, Blue Leaf Color: Violet, Purple, Red
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Actually, i believe that plants on earth are mostly green because chlorophil (which is green) has other few properties that makes it way better than any other known substance.You can see a nice video about why are leafs green on
youtube. It is titled "why are leafs green", by minuteearth.

Anyway, no matter the type of sun, the best colour to soak up energy is always black. On every situation. But i agree that plants of diferent colour would be nice.
Back to top Go down
ExtraSolar
Newcomer
ExtraSolar

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 11:12 pm

((Disclaimer, it's been a couple years since I've had a discussion on this. Feel free to correct me if I'm talking out of my rear end here))

There is a thing as too much energy, though. Black chlorophyll retains heat as well, and there's a good chance that such a plant (under our sun) would absorb too much heat, potentially throwing off all number of chemical processes. The reason that plants on Earth are green is that they actually have two types of chlorophyll, one better suited to absorbing high-energy, blue light, and the other absorbing light towards the red end of the spectrum, which has less energy, but is more abundant in our star's spectrum. Over the course of evolution, they met roughly in the middle at reflecting green light, at which point the gathered energy was pretty much sufficient for whatever the plant is doing, and thus there was little selective pressure to produce much more of one or the other.

(Incidentally, this is why leaves turn red in the fall: the red-absorbing chlorophyll, (which if I remember correctly, decays faster) is no longer produced by the plant, leaving the blue-absorbing chlorophyll behind, which in turn reflects shades of yellow and red.)

What this means is we also have to take the energy output of the star into account. Dimmer stars (particularly red ones, which emit lower-energy radiation,) would prompt darker chlorophyll, whereas brighter ones (in particular blue ones) may even need to have plants evolve reflectivity at certain spectrum lengths to prevent too much energy being gathered/being affected by the increased level of ionizing radiation (I'm mostly thinking some sort of natural sunblock here against UV.) Then again, I'm uncertain whether we're simulating ionizing radiation, so that last part could be a non-issue.

If we were to generate stars using presets (to fall in line with observed patterns) we could simply add preferred chlorophyll colors to the preset. See here for more on that.

(Sorry for all the parentheses)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 10:10 am

Extrasolar pretty much sums it up.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 4:02 pm

Here's some concept art I drew some time ago for a fungi based humanoid:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Good info Extrasolar, so its definite, we will have different colored chlorophyll.

Back to top Go down
ExtraSolar
Newcomer
ExtraSolar

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 7:39 pm

untrustedlife wrote:
Good info Extrasolar, so its definite, we will have different colored chlorophyll.

Possibly. Every aerobic photosynthesizer on Earth uses a type of chlorophyll called Chlorophyll a, which absorbs mostly reddish light, but some blue, reflecting back mainly green. The wide variation in color of photosynthesizers that we see on Earth comes from the use of other, accessory pigments that absorb other wavelengths. These can modify the base color greatly, but they are doing just that, modifying it.

The question is if this universality is just because of the sun's spectrum, or would it also be widespread on other planets with other stellar spectrums?

(Ultimately, the only difference we'll see is whether bright blue, violet, or red plants are possible, particularly red.)
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 9:06 am

Well, I need to know I will be implementing it in my prototype. ( I will simply randomize the star and have pigments maybe evolve.)
Back to top Go down
ExtraSolar
Newcomer
ExtraSolar

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 4:02 pm

untrustedlife wrote:
Well, I need to know I will be implementing it in my prototype. ( I will simply randomize the star and have pigments maybe evolve.)

I feel it's not my say, but I suggest we shouldn't worry too much about the exact pigments we're using, since it really won't make that much difference past cellular. I say go with the previous suggestion of having the assets for chloroplasts, etc. be greyscale, so a variable color overlay can be added in later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Concept Art Thread - Page 24 Empty

Back to top Go down

Concept Art Thread
Page 24 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29 ... 35  Next